Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Default 2014 agile vs ascent

I am looking at both of these models and the only differences I really see is solar power and 2 agm batteries in the agile. The ascent is priced 10,000 lower than the agile. I was looking for any thoughts and advice on these models and manufacturers. Thanks
Somdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 agile vs ascent

Welcome to the forum

As you've noted Roadtrek's Agile comes standard with more battery capacity but they also give the option of adding even more batteries. Also Roadtrek includes an inverter for running household 110 volt items off your 12 volt system that is great if you look for camping spots that don't have electricity.

Pleasure-Way's Ascent video:

[youtube8zlcr1l]uRaPzznK6cc[/youtube8zlcr1l]

Kitchen is on the drivers side on the Roadtrek and passenger side on the Pleasure-Way.

You really have to see both of them to see which one you prefer.

Both companies have great warranties.

Look at 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder engines on the the 2014 models. Also look at hitch rating capacities if you'll be towing anything.

Roadtrek specs: http://www.roadtrek.com/specifications_2013.aspx
Pleasure-Way Ascent specs: http://www.pleasureway.com/ascent-specs/
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somdpd
I am looking at both of these models and the only differences I really see is solar power and 2 agm batteries in the agile. The ascent is priced 10,000 lower than the agile. I was looking for any thoughts and advice on these models and manufacturers. Thanks
Hey, welcome to this forum. Marcopolo keeps up a good setup over here.

As I said over on rv.net, if you look at the 2 floor plans, the RT is backwards from the considered ideal setup of kitchen on the curb side. Also, my opinion is when you start adding more electronic gadgets, aka, that big inverter & solar to power the 120v systems, you are introducing more complexity to the mix, not to mention the high $$$ to fix it all when it does break.
I also think if you compare side to side as we were able to do at an RV show, we thought the wood and trim quality was better on the Pleasureway vs the RT.
The smaller fresh water tank is no big deal unless you are looking to do a lot of dry camping or boondocking. Then you may have to carry an extra few gallons of fresh water in the PW.
Hopefully you'll get more opinions that won't confuse you even more.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think the kitchen side thing is totally personal choice, I know that we looked at lots of different models and preferred the kitchen on the drivers side. The low microwave in the Agile would be the biggest downside for us. Both use way more space than they can spare in such a small B, in our opinion. If they have a power sofa, that also eats valuable space.

We did run into a couple while we were camping last year that had just gotten an Ascent a couple of weeks earlier, and they were having buyers remorse, to a larger than normal extent, because of the lack or storage space. They were seriously considering trading it on something bigger. We were not surprised that when they went through our C190P Roadtrek, they were amazed at how much room we had for stuff, compared to the Ascent.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You mentioned the batteries. With the additional battery option on the Agile, it has double the battery capacity of the Ascent. That could come in handy with the electric frig.

I also could not find the closet on the Ascent. I also looked on the video and floor plan, but can't find a place to hang clothes.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
Platinum Member

He's already made his decision. They are going for the Agile. Announced it on his thread on RV.net. Wish them luck and hope they don't spend all their free time in the shop with that RT

Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That's actually another person. Similar story though with the PW dealer being much farther away.

Another B soon to be on the roads

wabbit - you've got a good eye for detail, I didn't realize it doesn't have a closet for hanging clothes.

The sleeping arrangement in the Ascent looks comfy for two people and easy for each to get out of bed.
http://www.pleasureway.com/ascent/

Is it cross-ways sleeping in the Agile or angled for a second person?
http://www.roadtrek.com/models.aspx?Mod ... ountry=USA
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Roadtrek lists the twin beds in the Agile as 76" left and 72" right, which is the same as the 190 Popular. The Popular doesn't show an angled pieces when they go to the king size bed, though. The specs would indicate the bed in the Agile and Popular are the same size, but Roadtrek specs are often not very accurate.

I had forgotten about the no clothes storage in the Ascent, the folks we met did mention that, as they wanted hanging area. I wouldn't matter to us, as we don't hang any clothes and have put shelves and drawers in both of our armoirs.

Looking at the pix, and many of the other ones of newer models, it sure looks to me that everyone is putting in bigger stoves and sinks, or turning them to use more room. Most now seem to have almost no bare counterspace, so you would have to work on top of the sink or stove cover. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You know some of the smaller class B companies like PW, GWV, Advanced and maybe?? RT, will work with you on an order to delete some of the "standard" item they normally include.
These days if we were to order a new unit from one of these, we'd have them delete the stove top. We rarely use ours. It's dust and junk collector down in those little cravasses on our unit.
That would give a bit more counter space.....

In another thought. I wonder who is going to be the first to build an Ascent/Agile class B sized unit on the ProMaster?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #10

No, I have not made a decision yet on either model, but this has been great feedback and discussion. Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The sleeping arrangement in the Agile would work fine for us. My wife is 5'0". For her, it could be either lengthwise or sideways. I was more comfortable lengthways. I also liked the option of making up the bed as two partial singles, since it would be so much easier to get in and out of bed, but it was also pretty comfortable when using the full bed width.

I forgot to mention that the Agile's driver and passenger seats have armrests on both sides. For me, that is a big comfort factor on long drives.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somdpd
No, I have not made a decision yet on either model, but this has been great feedback and discussion. Thanks
Whoops, sorry, thought you were someone else.

wabbit, I don't see where the door side armrest would give any extra comfort in a Sprinter. The seat is close enough to the door as to not need one.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #13

I did have some questions about the inverter system. We will be away from shore power quite a bit, so with the ascent what does the extra battery power? So basically there are no hot outlets? I will usually be using a tv and satellite dish is this going to be a problem because I don't want to have to run the generator or leave the vehicle running. Thanks for the responses
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
Platinum Member

boojay, the difference is being able to have both arm rests the same height and position. My wife made a comprehensive list of anything I had grumbled about on our previous B, campers, and vans and brought that list any time we would go look at a B. Her list is very thorough.

Sompd, the Ascent has a 3-way fridge so the coach batteries would primarily be used by lighting, your TV, sat system, recharging devices and computers, and the furnace. You should be able to calculate your expected power usage and figure out how long the coach batteries can operate between charges. You could also consider a 3rd party solar system for the Ascent.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I like the Guaranty you tube videos. A video is worth a thousand words (or something like that)

Agile - [youtube:34rx903t]21EddNySvCI[/youtube:34rx903t]

Ascent - [youtube:34rx903t]I5_kK3fXZwI[/youtube:34rx903t]
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I will admit, as presented by these 2 guys, that the RT looks to be a bit better equipped and thought out. However again, part of that was the poor job the Ascent presenter did compared to the Agile presenter.
Also, that backwards floor plan the Agile has just doesn't work for me at all. And I don't like macerator pumps.....and a power step on the running board? Why? Another thing to break.
Notice also, these are both 2013 chassis

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I always enjoy the either/or model comparisons, and in particular what folks consider important, desired, dealbreaker, etc. The variations of likes surely explains why so many models and styles of vans are out there.

Our likes are pretty simple, and start with utility, storage, and ease of use. Has to fit in the garage so it can't be too high.

Other than that, the rest is pretty low on the list if the important stuff is good. In the case of this discussion, we would rate the low microwave in the Agile much more of an issue than which side the bathroom is on, which we have preference on, but wouldn't break any deal and is down the list a long ways. Lack of storage in the Ascent would rate much more of a shortcoming than quality issues in the Agile.

In this case, if we were in for a van in the size being discussed, the Agile would win for us, although that microwave would have to move once we got it home, and big bath would get shelves.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The low microwave doesn't bother me much since our normal routine wouldn't have us with shore power or firing up the genset very often. I like that the Agile has a combo microwave and convection oven. The electric fridge was high on my list, so the solar panels and extra battery pair was a big plus.

I spent a lot of time trying to come up with the right setup with Sportsmobile. I could get the seats I wanted, but from a 3rd party. I chose a smaller bath without a sink (pullout or fixed). I could get the stereo/nav system from a 3rd party and have SM wire for it. I found a local cabinet maker who could duplicate the front pull-out table for $$$. SM could do solar but had difficulty finding a place for extra batteries. The big advantage with the plan from SM was that I could get the Sprinter chassis with exactly the options I wanted with none left out an none added. The disadvantage, of course, is the additional months required to order the chassis (and wait) and then to build it out.

In my rankings, the Agile slightly beat out the Sportsmobile for features that I wanted at a slightly higher cost. The Ascent dropped out of contention because of the missing closet, solar, extra battery, and electric fridge.

I'm now in the price negotiation phase with RT (my least favorite phase).
Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #19
Platinum Member

P-W Ascent vs RT Agile SS

Two peas in a pod. The most intriguing for both is the short length which is very appealing. I have looked at both and have come to the conclusion that no way would I want one with two people especially on any extended trips though I know people who do just that. Just not me (or us). If I were single I would give either a serious look. Here are my observations.

Quality: The Ascent gets the slight nod over the Agile though that is not a deal breaker. I base most of that looking at Bs from both companies over the years.

Looks: The Agile accomplishes a goal of making the B actually look like it might not be an RV. That might be a big plus parking in some neighborhoods. Also the continuous window both sides looks much more finished with the Agile. The Agile has no fridge vents, exposed utility compartments or decals. To me that is a plus.

Kitchen: Hands down Ascent with fridge and microwave where they belong and kitchen prep counter and view oriented to your campground side. That’s not a preference or personal opinion. Putting the kitchen counter on the driver’s side is just a design mistake that may or may not bother someone. That is a Roadtrek fault in general.

Refrigerator: Ascent uses 3-way and Agile use electric only. You need to decide. I would lean electric especially if I had multiple batteries and solar. I think the Ascent refrigerator is bigger and is definitely more convenient to use.

Bathroom: I don’t care for either but the door in the Ascent is easier to use and I have experience with slide out vanities (Agile). They suck. They are what they are because of size of van limitations. Since you can’t lower a floor, the idea of an aisle shower is out.

Bed: They are about equal but if neither occupant is less than 5’-6” tall the Agile passenger side is a major problem. Also the slide out vanity and closet further constrains the passenger side. I’d also want to try each bed but getting back to quality I suspect the Ascent might be more comfortable from what I have tested.

Storage: Agile has the hanging closet. I used to think that was important but we have since modified our two hanging closets in our B and no longer hang anything. The Ascent appears to have a tad more under sofa storage.

Front seats: Agile’s both front seats can be turned around and used functionally. The Ascent driver seat, though they say it turns might as well not because you cannot turn it all the way around. That is one of the reasons I did not buy a second Pleasure-way.

Awning: The Ascent has a power awning. The Agile does not. You decide. Trade offs? No crank to store away in the Ascent but Murphy’s law might rear its ugly head with the power. But the same goes with the Agile’s electric entry step. As many times as we use an awning, power is not important.

Rear spare tire: Agile showed how easy it is to drop it. Ascent carefully avoided the question.

Dump station: Agile macerator vs Ascent gravity hose. You can read about the pros and cons of both systems in other forums. The one consideration pointed out is the macerator can be used without having to bend down, fully squat or putting a knee on the ground. That could be a big plus for those with less agility.

Water and waste tanks: Agile has more capacity.

Batteries: Agile has options for multiple batteries and solar from factory. My knowledge of Pleasure-Way (Ascent) is they don’t offer, have never offered and actually tell people two batteries are not an option.

Roadtrek has shown to be more aggressively innovative in systems. What struck me about Pleasure-way is how conservative they are. The Ascent is not much different from the 2005 P-W Plateau I owned. They are sticking with tried and true which plays in to known quality but nothing else.

Cost: The OP stated a $10,000 difference favoring Ascent. I find that hard to believe and might not be the case once you got down to comparing apples to apples of features included in the price. Plus, the MSRP is NOT the final price.

Distance to dealer: None issue for me. If that seemed important it is because you anticipate problems. On my first B (P-W) I never once went back to the dealer. On my second, I had some warranty work done and some updates made I wanted that Great West Vans put into newer models that were partially encouraged by me.

Customization: Neither company seems willing to make any special request customizations that companies like Great West Vans and Advanced RV are willing to do. That’s too bad. Both Agile and Ascent could benefit from such requests. The Agile has more factory options available.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #20
Platinum Member

David makes a bunch of good points in a well thought out list. I was thinking the same thing about the PW unit being almost the same thinking so to speak as our 2007 PW Lexor. Tried & true, no "new "technologies" to speak of.
I (we) also think that either of these would be too small for 2 people. Just why we traded out of our Lexor