Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2015/14 Roadtrek Sprinter DEF Adventures with Mercedes

Well, spent 5 hours at the dealership today and the condition was blamed on a crystalized def nozzle. The SM said it was because I let the def fluid get too low before I added any. I reminded him that I told him at 8 am that I never got the check def light at any time in its 2 year history because I always added fluid every 5k miles.

He then said that perhaps it may have been contaminates in the tank. I then asked if they drained and cleaned the tank; because the last person to add 4 gallons to it was another MB dealer at its 10k service. He said that wasn't necessary. The mechanic assured me that this would solve the problem. I told the SM that I am not optimistic based upon my previous experiences with mother mercedes. I also said that I would call him at 200 miles and thank them for a job well done.

I called him at 98 miles and not with any "thanks".

CEL and I know the def light is next and then 10 starts.

So, I made an appointment in Birmingham, Al on the day when we leave our next campground. While I was at it, I scheduled another appointment at our next campground in Ms for later in the week. We will make it to Ca, even if I have to schedule MB stops every 2 days or 500 miles!

The service document states that they did test the NOx sensors and they were within specs at 56 ohms. I'll have to take their word on that.

Perhaps I should write a blog about the differences among the different dealerships in regards to their waiting areas, food served and bathroom cleanliness?

My wife and I were famished when we arrived today, since we got up at 5:30 to make it to the dealership by 8. All they had was 2 packs of cheese crackers and a bag of nuts. So we walked a half mile to IHOP.

This was dealership #6 in 4 different states. You may ask why I haven't been back to the place where I bought it? I took it there for the first round of CELs for EGR problems (took 3 dealers, 1.5 years to solve that one!) and the SM there said, "Why would you drive all the way here for service?" And then she copped a bad attitude with me. She's right....why would I drive there for service?

So for the time being, I will always have an appointment scheduled in advance. I may be tempted at the Grand Canyon to push it in! If it weren't for the 2 years of hard work that my wife and I did in converting it; I'd start thinking about selling it if the next 4 dealers can't fix it.

Thanks again for your input(s).
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #22
Site Team

You do realize that you are getting into Lemon Law territory, right?

I realize that you might not be inclined to swap you conversion for a new van, but lemon law cases often end in negotiated cash settlements that let you keep the vehicle. I once got a 5-figure settlement after Honda put the fifth rebuilt transmission into our Odyssey. Call a lemon law attorney. They won't charge you anything.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Here I am, reading about DEF problems in late model MB Sprinters and wondering what I should do when I sell my current 07 PW Plateau TS with the I-5 and NO DEF. Is this a problem with other Sprinters--I mean Sprinters other than Roadtrek Sprinters? is it safe to buy a LTV Unity for example, with the diesel and DEF? That is my current rv interest as dictated by my wife. Sorry, though that Bikerbill had such an awful experience.
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #24
Site Team

Keep it in perspective. Yes, it seems to be a (relative) trouble spot with Sprinters. But, most of them are fine. Our 2014 Great West Vans Legend, for example, has performed flawlessly. It tells me when to add DEF and I do so. No drama.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I agree that you need to keep these problems in perspective. I have over 50,000 miles on my 2012 Sprinter converted by Airstream with no DEF issues. The only problem I've had was a leaking fuel line after a dealer changed my fuel filter. I do agree that dealer service knowledge does seem to vary so I one drive a little farther for better service.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
Platinum Member

on many forums whether just sprinter van or sprinter rv the number one issue seems to involve the post 2007 emissions systems. however even though this might be the biggest issue written about it's probably a small percentage of total sprinter vans.

however if YOU have the issue-it's a big deal.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1
Here I am, reading about DEF problems in late model MB Sprinters and wondering what I should do when I sell my current 07 PW Plateau TS with the I-5 and NO DEF. Is this a problem with other Sprinters--I mean Sprinters other than Roadtrek Sprinters? is it safe to buy a LTV Unity for example, with the diesel and DEF? That is my current rv interest as dictated by my wife. Sorry, though that Bikerbill had such an awful experience.
AL
all post 2007 diesels have these emissons systems. if your going to get a diesel from any manufacturer chassis-ford,chevy ,dodge,ram,volvo-whoever-these issues are all possible-you can only guarantee to avoid this issue by getting gasoline-i did not say avoid all issues just the dpf/def one
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1
AL
all post 2007 diesels have these emissons systems. if your going to get a diesel from any manufacturer chassis-ford,chevy ,dodge,ram,volvo-whoever-these issues are all possible-you can only guarantee to avoid this issue by getting gasoline-i did not say avoid all issues just the dpf/def one
What gerrym51 says.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 AM   #29
Platinum Member

well, we were waiting for the 2nd and 3rd items to appear and they never did. We got the CEL; but no check def or the dreaded 10 starts this time. So, one problem may have been the clogged def nozzle. I'm hopeful that since this has been fixed, the current error c odes may be more diagnostic.

In regards to overall Sprinter reliability, I'd say that Fed Ex can't be wrong, since they have so many of them. I believe that these minor problems; but, major headaches will subside as the diagnostics and repair centers catch up.

You are limited in repair facilities, so it does present a problem. I'm very happy with mine overall, the 22 mpg and the room inside is a big plus. It took 3 trips to 3 different dealers to fix the first problem (egr cooling valve). Tomorrow is #3 for this problem.

It is really not their fault that I choose to live 150 miles away from the closest dealer.

All dealers and techs are definitely not equal.

We are on the right track for a fix...we'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #30
Platinum Member

175 miles since our last CEL...yippee!

MB of Birmingham had us for over 6 hours and they replaced both NOX sensors. Just like Biker Bill and Arlo said. Most of our service time was the tech test driving our vehicle. I canceled our next two MB appointments.

This was the first dealership that had a mouthwash dispenser in the bathroom, which we found amusing.

Thanks to all those that provided input.

Please, if you are considering a sprinter, do not let my experience be your guide. I only have had 2 issues with it and both were eventually resolved. I have never had to pay or explain for any of my warranty work. As stated before, this is a highly technical device and things can and do go wrong and electrical/electronic problems can be a bugger to find.

HJ
Old 03-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Must be the mouthwash dispenser that signals technician expertise. For me it was the hostess who brought me a freshly-brewed latte. Hope this is the end of your frustrations with this, HJ. Yaya con huevos.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote