Old 03-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
swo

Default 2015 Zion vs Travato 59K

Today i looked at a Zion with all the options I liked (underhood gen, larger tanks, screen package, front and back power steps, seats for 5, and solar) it was the twin bed model.

The last Zion I looked at had the rear sofa. I think I like the twins beds better certainly a more open feeling than the 2016 59G with serious body defects I looked at two weeks ago. (I still can't believe that vehicle passed 3 different QAs (the chassis builder, Winniebago's, and the dealers) - but some sucker will probably buy it)

The model toured today was a Zion 2015 leftover model. Posted price was 89900. Without any haggling they offered it to me for 76,900.
This is roughly 20% discount. This certainly brings it into the ballpark.
If i decide to go for it - I'd likely counter with a slightly lower offer - say 74K just to see what they say.

I'm wondering if I could get a 2016 Travato 59K for under that.
Do you recent 59K purchasers think that's possible?

The the Winnie has a better Microwave, slightly larger Bath Rm in the rear.
I could give up the underhood gen, larger tanks and extra seating and other R/T bells and whistles if I could get a somewhat similar floor plan for 7-8 K less than the R/T.

This is a tough decision. It took a while to figure out that the vehicle I get would be used more as touring vehicle with some over nighting features rather than a more extended camping vehicle (like the 59G).

Appreciate any feedback/advice from you 59K owners.

swo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You will absolutely be able to get a new 59K for under $74k. I believe they are even advertised for less than that. Check with La Mesa RV. The one in San Diego beats everyone's price by a large margin.

Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I doubt you'll be able to get 8K less than the leftover Zion, but something $70-$75k on a K is doable, depending on what options you get.

I don't understand you comments on a K being lesser camping vehicle than a G. The bath is certainly more liveable than that in a G or a Zion. The refrigerators in the G & the K are essentially the same size since you can't stuff an absorption refrigerator and it work properly. As you stated, the convection oven is superior to the regular one in the G or the Zion. The K has a much bigger kitchen area and a deeper sink.

I make up one of my beds as a sofa with some back bolsters. It's a good place to sit and watch TV. The fold up tables are fine for eating or using a laptop. Group dinners are out unless you get the table/bed option in the K. I didn't like that arrangement so I didn't order the kit to retrofit my van for it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #4

Long time lurker first time poster here. Just picked up 2016 59k last week. Went through same process with the Zion as you are experiencing, but the <$70k price of the k got me. Took first 100 mi shake down (with dogs) today and seems it will work out just fine. Drives great and seems to have limited rattles. Have a list of warranty repairs, but that's expected and believe dealer will take care of them. During our couple of snowstorms last week, the Truma did a great job of keeping it warm.
btw, thanks to all of you armchair engineers on here, it's quite an education! Question everything!

gobird
Gobird@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #5
swo

Default 59K post delivery

What kind of things are you discovering that require attention?
swo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo View Post
What kind of things are you discovering that require attention?
Both the Maxfan and the bath power vent are inop. Most of the coach overhead LEDs were dead upon arrival (tech claimed WGO got a bad batch). The cabinet doors above the galley are not properly aligned and the catches don't catch. A bath retaining strap is broke, and the bumper cover on the rear is not fully on. Of course I'm still exploring and today is the first day that it hasn't had snow on it. Planning for a garage before next winter.

What I have not noticed is any water in the running lights, nor sign of water in the engine compartment.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Platinum Member

It seems to me that the number of issues is related to the dealer. Some do a thorough PDI and some just don't. Some have the attitude that it's not a problem unless the customer complains.

Fans not working and lights blown out? Check all your fuses. This one might have seen a power surge of some kind along the way.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Heaven forbid, I thought from the usual banter here that Winnebagos never had the inconsistent quality that is seen on the Roadtreks...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
It seems to me that the number of issues is related to the dealer. Some do a thorough PDI and some just don't. Some have the attitude that it's not a problem unless the customer complains.

Fans not working and lights blown out? Check all your fuses. This one might have seen a power surge of some kind along the way.
No question the dealer did nothing prior to my taking delivery, which actually met my expectations. This unit had the ignition block recall (R64) when I struck my deal. It took nearly 3 weeks for the parts to be available for the fix, during which time it sat on their lot. I had pointed out the LEDs were inop two weeks prior to my picking it up and yet the tech seemed like he had just found out about them.

I will check all fuses although it did seem to be individual lights. There is power to each of the fans, just no operation. I've already put the HW30C on my Amazon wish list.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

GoBird, I wonder if yours was at some point a show vehicle?? What was the difference between the time you purchased it and WGO built it? Not the chassis build date, the WGO build date...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote