Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default 2018/2019 Agile or Ascent

The most recent data I could find online shows about 500 class Bs are sold new per month. About 1/3 Winnebago, 1/3 Hymer/Roadtrek and then all the rest. That there are more negative reviews for the leaders is no surprise given the bias for negative reviews posted online.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Curious question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafortuneis-cc@yahoo.com View Post
I have been reading the owner posts on the Roadtrek Owners Facebook page, and there are several reports of big issues that some owners have had with their new Agiles - much having to do with things that went wrong, and the dealer service, even sending back to Canada for service, did not get fixed right. A long warranty isn't much good if things don't get fixed, or keep going wrong! Sounded like a big nightmare. I have heard that PleasureWay has much better quality control, but since you have to actually be a PleasureWay owner to get into their forum, I havn't been able to get much info on that company. Wonder if you all know more about this (the QC issue).
Do you have any sense from reading the posts about Roadtrek on what range of years you're referring to???

Just wanted to know....

I have a 2012 RS Adventurous by Roadtrek... seems pretty high quality for a used vehicle......

Please let me know... thanks.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Do you have any sense from reading the posts about Roadtrek on what range of years you're referring to???

Just wanted to know....

I have a 2012 RS Adventurous by Roadtrek... seems pretty high quality for a used vehicle......

Please let me know... thanks.
Yes, it's been the past 2 years (2018 & 19) as I recall - issues having to do with the heating system (not propane) - so it seems the technology in these new units is the problem. but what was most disconcerting is problem in one case, at least with original factory quality, but in others dealer AND manufacturer response to issues in new rvs, as well, not to mention, lack of knowledge and ability of dealer service to fix problems. add to that long wait and in-shop times. best is to read thru them for more details.
lafortuneis-cc@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafortuneis-cc@yahoo.com View Post
Yes, it's been the past 2 years (2018 & 19) as I recall - issues having to do with the heating system (not propane) - so it seems the technology in these new units is the problem. but what was most disconcerting is problem in one case, at least with original factory quality, but in others dealer AND manufacturer response to issues in new rvs, as well, not to mention, lack of knowledge and ability of dealer service to fix problems. add to that long wait and in-shop times. best is to read thru them for more details.
OK... so, it's not a case of older models like mine.
Yes..new technology if it's still experiencing growing pains sounds disconcerting... they should be more proactive to remedy this.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:37 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
OK... so, it's not a case of older models like mine.
Yes..new technology if it's still experiencing growing pains sounds disconcerting... they should be more proactive to remedy this.
I don't think the problem is new technology, itself. Roadtrek's overall build quality has fallen off dramatically in recent years. I suspect it was a lot better years ago, but as class B vans have become much more popular recently, RT's rapidly expanding production has led to most of their quality problems. Plenty of other (lower volume) class B manufacturers are using these same technologies, as well as many European builders, and they aren't having issues.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #26

We just put a deposit on a used 2016 SS Agile. It was a toss up between the Ascent and Agile but ultimately the increased storage, underhood generator, authorized dealer nearby, and far superior warranty won out. Buying used, the 6 year all-inclusive and transferable coach warranty was very important to us. It even covers the appliances for 6 years-not on an Ascent where they are only covered by shorter appl mfr warranties. The Ascent is absolutely beautiful. For us it came down to function (Agile) over form (Ascent) but I wouldn't be sorry if we'd chosen an Ascent instead. The Agile we've chosen has the 3.0L6 while the Ascent we drove had the 2.1L4 and there was a big performance difference that I noticed and I won't mind the couple MPG tradeoff.

I really liked the idea of a gas powered RAM Promaster chassis and for the price difference of a Sprinter I could've bought a new Travato or Zion, etc. Then I sat in the driver's seat-no go. I'm a tall guy and when I sat down I had the sensation of my knees being up to my ears-an exaggeration but uncomfortable as heck for me. Probably fine for most drivers but the high floor and low seat and steering wheel angle were instant deal breakers for this buyer. Too bad bec I had high hopes before sitting.
bizango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default You made the right decision....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
We just put a deposit on a used 2016 SS Agile. It was a toss up between the Ascent and Agile but ultimately the increased storage, underhood generator, authorized dealer nearby, and far superior warranty won out. Buying used, the 6 year all-inclusive and transferable coach warranty was very important to us. It even covers the appliances for 6 years-not on an Ascent where they are only covered by shorter appl mfr warranties. The Ascent is absolutely beautiful. For us it came down to function (Agile) over form (Ascent) but I wouldn't be sorry if we'd chosen an Ascent instead. The Agile we've chosen has the 3.0L6 while the Ascent we drove had the 2.1L4 and there was a big performance difference that I noticed and I won't mind the couple MPG tradeoff.

I really liked the idea of a gas powered RAM Promaster chassis and for the price difference of a Sprinter I could've bought a new Travato or Zion, etc. Then I sat in the driver's seat-no go. I'm a tall guy and when I sat down I had the sensation of my knees being up to my ears-an exaggeration but uncomfortable as heck for me. Probably fine for most drivers but the high floor and low seat and steering wheel angle were instant deal breakers for this buyer. Too bad bec I had high hopes before sitting.
First, the 3 litre V6 is a great engine....I have not driven the 2.1 FOUR.. with the 7 speed transmission, however, my mechanic says that the V6 with the 5 speed is a more balanced set up..... you're talking about a small price on fuel....the V6 has plenty of power.... went up to the Eisenhower summit at 55 MPH ...no problem... that's 11,000 feet....

Yes, Roadtrek has a very good warranty.......

Seating comfort, ....it goes without saying....if you're not comfortable...you won't drive it as much.......

Enjoy your rig.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I really like the quality on the Ascent and other Pleasure Ways, but now with their standard Lithium batteries, they really need to ditch the old absortion fridge and provide a compressor model.

We can boon dock over night with our compressor fridge, lights, tv, and furnace or Maxxfan and still have 70-75% batteries in the morning. And that is on cheap wet-cell Duracell deep cycles from Sam's Club with about 80 usable amp hours.

With the 180 or so amp hours available with the Pleasure Way, there's no reason for them not to ditch the 100 yr. old technology. If not now, when?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 AM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post

Thanks for your thoughts.
We like the idea of the more comfortable driving seat as well as the sFety features that other Bs don’t have.
That said we’re somewhat wary of the diesel based on what many have reported with less Mercedes dealers and much more expensive parts. We don’t see why the diesel should have as many issues if we keep up with service and routine maintenance. We have a Mercedes dealer close and a dealer a couple of hours away.
How do feel about the availability of diesel especially out west and AK? I guess if that’s not in travel plans then less of an issue.
Does anyone know if the PW Ascent will be upgrading to newer technology to match the Agile?
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Honestly you couldn't go wrong with either model. We went with an Agile too. We actually didn't like the "finishes" on the Ascent nor the "fluffier/softer" cushions but everyone is different. We did like having the kitchens flipped like the Ascent. Still, either is a great choice.

We chose the Agile for the "tech" but in a class B and not staying in one place a long time we even question now if we needed the 400 Lithium that we have. We only use 1 at a time and it is always 75% or more left the next morning.

We have ~11,000 miles now and the mileage is getting better as well in our 6 cylinder. We averaged 21.1 MPG on our latest drive from FL to GA. I get 16 MPG around town and does better in town than her old X3 got.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #31
Platinum Member

"Probably fine for most drivers but the high floor and low seat and steering wheel angle were instant deal breakers for this buyer."

Please note that the PM seat is highly adjustable in ways I've never seen before. On the PM forum, we have >6' expediters who are comfortable driving long days.

My seats were also uncomfortable when I test drove. It probably took me an hour to adjust them, but now for the first time ever, I can drive long days without pain.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
"Probably fine for most drivers but the high floor and low seat and steering wheel angle were instant deal breakers for this buyer."

Please note that the PM seat is highly adjustable in ways I've never seen before. On the PM forum, we have >6' expediters who are comfortable driving long days.

My seats were also uncomfortable when I test drove. It probably took me an hour to adjust them, but now for the first time ever, I can drive long days without pain.
FWIW - I don't love the MB seats all that much either. I figure we driving trucks but still don't love them.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

This very much depends on the Promaster model used. For instance, EHGNA has gone this year to using the same model for all of their rigs. It is called the D-5 model by Promaster and the seat is basically not adjustable except for the usual bar in the front for moving backward and forward... and one wheel on the outside that changes the angle of the seat. (and no armrests on the passenger seat)

That's it... so you will have to check closely on that issue as to what Promaster model the converter is using.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Your description sounds like my basic seats. Are you sure you don't also have two descreet horizontal levers on the outside of the base?

Edit: I could find only one poor photo of the outside of the Aktiv seat, but it appeared that these levers are to the rear of the knob?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #35

The Roadtrek on the PM chassis must have had those seats same as the D-5 model that mumkin mentioned. They did not have a vertical adj as confirmed by the dealer. I guess I could have retrofitted the adj one after buying the RV but bought a 2019 Pleasure Way Ascent instead. Not sorry to have purchased the Ascent-we love it even though so far we have just "camped" in the driveway.
bizango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #36
Bronze Member

IMPO The PleasureWay Ascent quality is superior to Roadtrek and given that Roadtrek has been sold once again from Hymer to Thor I think you made the right purchasing decision for now and future resale as the second generation at PleasureWay takes over the reins of the company.

2013 Pleasureway EXCEL TS
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmobile View Post
How do feel about the availability of diesel especially out west and AK?
I’ve been in 9 western states and British Colombia over the last 3 years and had no problem finding diesel. Urban, suburban, rural all have diesel.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #38
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I’ve been in 9 western states and British Colombia over the last 3 years and had no problem finding diesel. Urban, suburban, rural all have diesel.
With many of the newer diesel "B's" you can't use "any old diesel" according to many postings on various forums. Not being a diesel owner I don't follow this issue closely but I have read the concerns of owners who wanted to make sure that a certain type of diesel was available to avoid warranty problems especially with Mercedes and I have read postings where people were filling up in one state before crossing another where they felt getting "the right" could be a problem in certain areas of the state.
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 AM   #39
Platinum Member

The North American ULSD diesel standard is called Diesel #2. It is the only highway diesel allowed in the US and Canada. It’s at every gas station and truck stop in the US. It was required in the US beginning around 2010.

There is a different issue related to the biodiesel percent. 5% or less does not have to be labeled. Above 5% it is supposed to be labeled. I have once in 5 years and 40k miles skipped a station to avoid the 20% biodiesel. And I only did this because I had filled up with 20% biodiesel the last time.

If you don’t like the idea of a diesel, don’t buy one. But the idea you can’t get the right diesel if you do buy one is silly.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 AM   #40
Platinum Member

You must not have been to Minnesota lately, where 20% biodiesel is required except in cold weather.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote