Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default 2019/2020 Transit Campervan Conundrum

Back in 2018 when I ordered my 2019 Transit for a camper conversion I really really wanted AWD. I sold my 4x4 Sprinter because of the diesel engine and bought a limited slip diff Gas Transit 3.5 EB and had it converted to a RV. Then I bought a set of winter tires thinking it would have to do. Well wouldn't you know (because of me) Ford is selling an AWD Transit in 2020. My conundrum is wondering how much I would lose if I sell my van that has 15,000 miles and start over with an AWD van.
I have over $110K invested and want to ask how much I should sell it for if I do sell?

https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_van/ellington/

Additional items are:
Digital Webasto heater controller.
Air conditioner wall mounted controls.
120 amp B to B charger (I have the HD alternator with dual batteries).
Insulated curtains for windshield, passenger, and rear windows.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150 amp fuse.jpg (252.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Thermostat.jpg (180.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg table.jpg (224.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg table1.jpg (180.7 KB, 23 views)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Back in 2018 when I ordered my 2019 Transit for a camper conversion I really really wanted AWD. I sold my 4x4 Sprinter because of the diesel engine and bought a limited slip diff Gas Transit 3.5 EB and had it converted to a RV. Then I bought a set of winter tires thinking it would have to do. Well wouldn't you know (because of me) Ford is selling an AWD Transit in 2020. My conundrum is wondering how much I would lose if I sell my van that has 15,000 miles and start over with an AWD van.
I have over $110K invested and want to ask how much I should sell it for if I do sell?

https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_van/ellington/

Additional items are:
Digital Webasto heater controller.
Air conditioner wall mounted controls.
120 amp B to B charger (I have the HD alternator with dual batteries).
Insulated curtains for windshield, passenger, and rear windows.

Thanks,
Jon

Would you be able to swap the conversion parts to the new van and sell the old one as a plain cargo van?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Nice looking van!

Maybe the answer is to try selling it for the price you need to get to make the new van project workable. If it doesn't sell at that price or close to it then keep it.

We don't know yet what impact the new Thor vans and soon to come Rapido vans will have in the marketplace. Winnebago seems to have done very well introducing the Travato a few years ago at around and below $70K so my guess is that new entrants will follow that proven path of "purchasing" market share by offering the vans at lower price points until they're established. That could put pressure on pre-owned van sales.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

From what I’ve heard, the Transit AWD is a light-duty system built for highway use, like getting to your favorite skiing spot. It won’t add a lot of value for buyers looking for a real 4x4 set-up with raised clearance and low range for the backcountry. Not sure, but I think Quigley does one for the Transit.

For winter highway use, limited slip plus good studded winter tires is very nearly as capable as AWD. Decide what AWD is worth to you. If the best offer you get results in a loss exceeding that amount, you have your answer. I think I know what that answer will be, but I’ve been wrong.

Nice-looking unit! Kind of curious how sleeping arrangements work... I’m new to Class B’s, having recently acquired a family hand-me-down Roadtrek. I’m finding there’s a lot about mainstream offerings that just doesn’t work for me, so I’m always looking at custom built projects for ideas.

I feel your pain. Timing can bite you sometimes. I sure didn’t expect Roadtrek’s melt-down just 4 months after getting one, either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

For winter highway use, limited slip plus good studded winter tires is very nearly as capable as AWD. Decide what AWD is worth to you. If the best offer you get results in a loss exceeding that amount, you have your answer. I think I know what that answer will be, but I’ve been wrong.

Nice-looking unit! Kind of curious how sleeping arrangements work... I’m new to Class B’s, having recently acquired a family hand-me-down Roadtrek. I’m finding there’s a lot about mainstream offerings that just doesn’t work for me, so I’m always looking at custom built projects for ideas.
I think I'll end up keeping it, but every time I read about the 2020 Transit AWD I kick myself for not waiting and additional year before starting this project.

As far as sleeping goes being shorter definitely has advantages in a short van. I'm 5'9" and can barely sleep widthwise and stand in my med roof Transit. We sleep two on the sleeper sofa and one in front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sofa.jpg (170.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg revised fwd bed.jpg (191.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Ford Transits are non existent here as Class B conversions( They do not sell well either) although the bi turbo Diesel that you are getting in the US is the same here, but we do not have Petrol/ Gas options
A lot of European Vans have AWD or 4x4 options. These range from the Sprinters mild Off Road 4x4, the better VW 4 Motion and the IVECO Dailys extreme Unimog like 4x4
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Ford Transits are non existent here as Class B conversions( They do not sell well either)
Ford Transits are non existent because they're new to the US. I've decided that I'm addicted to my gasoline ecoboost engine, especially while traveling 2 lane highways. I get within a couple MPG as I did with my Diesel Sprinter and spent a lot of time configuring the perfect campervan for "us" so I think I can live with installing my winter wheels every fall.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
Platinum Member

If your current van has what you want set up just as you like it, why not give Quigley a call and get a price on their 4x4 conversion on your van. You will end up with a better true 4x4 setup and get your 4x4 probably for less overall money than the ‘hit’ you may have to take selling your current van and buying the new AWD. Don’t forget to add the extra sales taxes that you may be subject to. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
let us know what you decide to do.
I just did.. "I'm addicted to my Ecoboost.... So I think I can live with installing my winter wheels every Fall."
Old 08-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Ford Transits are non existent because they're new to the US. I've decided that I'm addicted to my gasoline ecoboost engine, especially while traveling 2 lane highways. I get within a couple MPG as I did with my Diesel Sprinter and spent a lot of time configuring the perfect campervan for "us" so I think I can live with installing my winter wheels every fall.
They never sold in Australia unlike the current version in the US, so they are pretty rare
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Jon, I thought of you this morning when I spotted a Transit with a Quigley 4x4 conversion at the local grocery store. It looked very nice, almost OEM with stock wheels and tires. The ride height was raised a little, but the difference was subtle (2" according to the website). It's apparently a part-time system with a low range and uses components from the F-150. Should have taken a photo, but didn't think about it at the time.

It might be something to consider down the road. The conversion is not cheap, but I'm guessing it's a lot less that you stand to lose by selling and starting over with a new van. And you will get some back on resale.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #12
jon
Platinum Member

Thanks Jon. First I'm going to try a few winter trips with my Nokian winter tires. They seemed to work really well during last February record Seattle snow.