Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I admit that I'm hung up on the dashboard for the new Sprinter. It's the part of the vehicle that I'd spend hours looking at if I owned one, so it makes a big difference to me.

In some of the new videos, they show a parking assist feature in the dash. I'm hoping that this option is offered on RVs. Although it's designed for parallel parking on a street, it could make trying to get into a tight campground parking space much easier. You wouldn't need a sidekick outside yelling, "Turn... turn... Stop!" If it could also be used at highway speeds to check for cars and motorcycles in blind spots, it would be ideal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 Sprinter Parking Assist.jpg (732.7 KB, 10 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #22
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
In any case, I'd bet that the Australian emission controls system for the Sprinter is different than the one for the US, due to our more stringent standards.
So great, now what? Does that mean more or less problems?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
He describes a DPF, but doesn't mention DEF fluid. That's a different design that the Sprinters sold in the US. Australia has different emission requirements. See:

Australia's weaker emissions standards allow car makers to 'dump' polluting cars
Why should he have to mention DEF? It's a given for keeping the DPF from failing. Aussies generally have more relaxed emission standards but not for this component. Any way you look at it, it's a wretched bandaid that invites all sorts of expensive unintended consequences.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Why should he have to mention DEF? It's a given for keeping the DPF from failing.
Actually, as I understand it, this isn't quite true. The DEF is injected downstream of the DPF. They are independent systems that perform different functions.

I do not disagree with your larger sentiment, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:39 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
In any case, I'd bet that the Australian emission controls system for the Sprinter is different than the one for the US, due to our more stringent standards.
Putting it in perspective since I was in Australia last month, Australia only has 24 million people in about the size of the 48 states in the USA. I doubt they would have as much concern. I did get an ambulance ride in a Sprinter in Sydney.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Actually, as I understand it, this isn't quite true. The DEF is injected downstream of the DPF. They are independent systems that perform different functions.

I do not disagree with your larger sentiment, though.
Thanks for the correction. If that's the case then I have it wrong. My understanding was that for the DPF to do its job, DEF had to be injected.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:11 AM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

You inject diesel into the DPF

You inject DEF into the SCR

Pretty well ALL the diesel engines use this method,
including GM, Ford, Cumin...

WHAT IS SCR?
https://www.dieselforum.org/about-cl...el/what-is-scr

Old 02-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You inject diesel into the DPF

You inject DEF into the SCR

Pretty well ALL the diesel engines use this method,
including GM, Ford, Cumin...

WHAT IS SCR?
https://www.dieselforum.org/about-cl...el/what-is-scr

I see my mistake. I thought DEF was introduced into the DPF but it's introduced downstream of the DPF into the catalytic converter to eliminate NO. Isn't NO a product of both diesel and gas engines and since gassers are also required to reduce NO emission, how is that accomplished without using a system similar to diesel DEF?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Diesel engines produce much more NOx than do petrol engines, for a variety of arcane reasons, mostly having to do with higher combustion temperatures and the thermodynamics of the direct-injection of the fuel.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So great, now what? Does that mean more or less problems?

Bud
I have said before DIFFERENT standards.US Diesels are illegal in Australia and Europe ,as it is difference emphasis of Euro 5/ 6 on CO2, CO and particulates
Woman who wrote the article in a vague way agreed we do not have Euro 6.
In other words a Euro 5 compliant diesel in Australia cannot be used in Europe.
Similarly a US Tier compliant Sprinter Diesel is illegal in Europe! and also in Australia
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Putting it in perspective since I was in Australia last month, Australia only has 24 million people in about the size of the 48 states in the USA. I doubt they would have as much concern. I did get an ambulance ride in a Sprinter in Sydney.
You would be pretty wrong on that score. I know Australia is pretty clean compared to many places in the US, but State and Federal Governments would like to keep it that way.
So they are in the process of introducing Euro 6 .Many new heavy truck diesels run Euro 6 already.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

How did we arrive at this mess?

My take -- all these will become history soon.
This is just too damn complicated for any good.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Diesel engines produce much more NOx than do petrol engines, for a variety of arcane reasons, mostly having to do with higher combustion temperatures and the thermodynamics of the direct-injection of the fuel.
How is NOx eliminated in current gas engines? Is the level sufficiently low that it can be addressed by the catalytic converter or is the permitted NOx discharge level different for gas and diesels?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I brought up DEF fluid. I was trying to show that the Australian emissions system that John Cadogan was talking about in his YouTube video is not the same one as we have in the US. I have no idea if the system required in the US is better or worse in any regard, but I wanted folks to take his words with a grain of salt. He's not talking about American cars. Some things may apply, but I don't think that it's a good idea to generalize that all cars built for any market are all the same, whether or not they have the same model name.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
How is NOx eliminated in current gas engines? Is the level sufficiently low that it can be addressed by the catalytic converter or is the permitted NOx discharge level different for gas and diesels?
IIRC they reduce the NOx with the EGR system to reduce peak flame temps.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
I brought up DEF fluid. I was trying to show that the Australian emissions system that John Cadogan was talking about in his YouTube video is not the same one as we have in the US. I have no idea if the system required in the US is better or worse in any regard, but I wanted folks to take his words with a grain of salt. He's not talking about American cars. Some things may apply, but I don't think that it's a good idea to generalize that all cars built for any market are all the same, whether or not they have the same model name.
Could not be more correct
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #37

Default Odd that no mild hybrid Sprinter

It is odd that they didn't announce a mild hybrid for the Sprinter. They have it in the E and S-classes. Mild hybrids provide assist during cold start and periods of high demand, helping with emissions. And of course, a 48V factory charger would simplify house battery charging considerably.
Nexus7 is offline   Reply With Quote