Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2019 Sprinter Revealed

Nice to see we have a new platform for our Class B / B+ RVs

https://youtu.be/2nGEhljFWFk
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

diesel 4 cyl and 6 cyl

gas 4 cyl only
Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We'll get one diesel and one gas engine here. I'd bet on that. Looks like the Ford Transit that's built right up the road from me with an uglied up front lower fascia.
Nice dash though....it's about time

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
Silver Member

I'm disappointed. The Sprinter just got uglier. Oh well. It's not like this class has been winning beauty pageants lately. That 4 banger will be making a run at the small transits, I'm assuming .
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

diesel 4 cyl and 6 cyl

gas 4 cyl only
Some additional details from the new Sprinter launch presentation for North American engine options:

Diesel inline 4: OM651 (161 hp)
Diesel V6: OM642 (188 hp)
Gasoline inline 4: M274 (hp TBA)

The M274 is a 2.0 liter turbocharged direct injection gas engine that yields 184-245 hp in European trim. Since utility vans generally get derated versions for reliability the lower end of that range seems likely for NA gas Sprinters.

Interestingly those are all previous generation engines, with the OM642 and OM651 having been available on our current generation Sprinters. Their next generation engine replacements are:

Diesel inline 4: OM654
Diesel inline 6: OM656
Gasoline inline 4: M264

For Diesels the next generation engines gain more power and integrated DPF/DEF emission controls. The new M264 petrol engine gets a 48v starter/generator for mild hybrid start/stop and the ability to generate up to 12.5 kW electrical from the engine. That electrical generation capability would seem very interesting for ClassB RV units.

Perhaps we'll see the next generation engines make it into Sprinters for a mid-cycle refresh around 2025?
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Gold Member

As far as the exterior goes I think they could have done more but the interior of the cab looks nice.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

The new exterior is as earth-shattering as the new G-wagon.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Does anyone know if the new van is more square at the top than the old one?
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
I'm disappointed. The Sprinter just got uglier. Oh well. It's not like this class has been winning beauty pageants lately. That 4 banger will be making a run at the small transits, I'm assuming .
It leaves me with just one question: is underwhelming properly spelled as one word or two?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
It leaves me with just one question: is underwhelming properly spelled as one word or two?
Yes----
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Platinum Member

A four banger gasoline engine? For the price premium, M-B could have at least gone with some turbocharged/supercharged V6. In the gasser department, both Ford and Fiat seem to be ahead of M-B here, as the EB V6 does a good job, and the V6 from RAM isn't bad either.

The beefed up starter/alternator is interesting. Wonder if M-B is going with the light hybrid concept, which can make life easier for recharging batteries?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

diesel 4 cyl and 6 cyl

gas 4 cyl only
Yes you will still get the range of diesels plus a relatively tiny Gas ( Petrol engine)
Last option will be deleted outside NA
What has not beeen discussed is the E Sprinter fir local deliveries in Cities
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
A four banger gasoline engine? For the price premium, M-B could have at least gone with some turbocharged/supercharged V6. In the gasser department, both Ford and Fiat seem to be ahead of M-B here, as the EB V6 does a good job, and the V6 from RAM isn't bad either.
According to the rollout presentation the North American Sprinter's M274 four cylinder gas engine is targeted as an entry level option for the utility and fleet van market. They already offer the M274 in the mid-sized Metris van so this provides some base engine commonality.

Probably not the beefy six cylinder gas engine we Class B owners were hoping for, but I can understand why Mercedes' marketing department chose to prioritize the cost-sensitive fleet and city delivery segments.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #14
Site Team

When Mercedes introduced the I4 diesel engine, there was widespread scoffing. It (and its paired transmission) is now reputed as an amazing powertrain.

Gasoline engines have come a very long way in recent years. I am guessing that the new 4 will be a direct-injection engine with a sophisticated turbo and a state-of-the art transmission. I would not write off such a powertrain prematurely.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:39 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
When Mercedes introduced the I4 diesel engine, there was widespread scoffing. It (and its paired transmission) is now reputed as an amazing powertrain.

Gasoline engines have come a very long way in recent years. I am guessing that the new 4 will be a direct-injection engine with a sophisticated turbo and a state-of-the art transmission. I would not write off such a powertrain prematurely.
All you need to do is look at the Ford Ecoboost and see that the gassers can make big power, and the turbo lets them taylor where the torque is pretty easily. Historically, it has been heat that causes the most problems and limitations. Cylinder head and exhaust temps can get very high when they are run full out for longer periods and all the new stuff like the Fords monitor it all and turn down the boost if things get out of hand. I have seen quite a few discussions about them turning down in the pickups while towing up long grades, sometimes to the point of needing to stop and cool off because the power as down to far. Hopefully, MB will do a good job of handling the high temps so the don't ventilate the pistons or other heat related type issues. Making the hp and torque probably needed will be quite doable, I think, although not blazing powerful like the Ford V6 turbo.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Some of you know of John Cadogan down under. He has a video from November of last year concerning what has been discussed in more than one thread here - diesel emissions. I also found elsewhere today where not only did Volkswagen do a lot of lying, but also gassed monkeys with their diesel exhaust (lung cancer), trying to prove..... They lied about that too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Some of you know of John Cadogan down under. He has a video from November of last year concerning what has been discussed in more than one thread here - diesel emissions. I also found elsewhere today where not only did Volkswagen do a lot of lying, but also gassed monkeys with their diesel exhaust (lung cancer), trying to prove..... They lied about that too.

Bud
Cadogan is both informative and entertaining but links to his u tubes should warn those with tender ears that he can get salty.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
Platinum Member

He describes a DPF, but doesn't mention DEF fluid. That's a different design that the Sprinters sold in the US. Australia has different emission requirements. See:

http://theconversation.com/australia...ing-cars-48172
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
He describes a DPF, but doesn't mention DEF fluid. That's a different design that the Sprinters sold in the US.
The Sprinter has DPF.

Most of the diesel engines today uses DPF.

DEF is the fluid for the SCR.

DPF is a canister.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
Platinum Member

In any case, I'd bet that the Australian emission controls system for the Sprinter is different than the one for the US, due to our more stringent standards.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote