Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2020 Thor Sequence class B on sale at LaMesa

I was browsing La Mesa RV inventory and saw that the 2020 Thor Sequence was advertised for $79,999 https://www.lamesarv.com/2020/thor-m...ass-b/sn132376 it's based on a Promaster.

Apparently this new class B will be introduced by Thor on 7/22/19 (tomorrow): https://www.thormotorcoach.com/blog/...quence-reveal/

The floorplan looks very similar to a Winnebago Travato 59K (or Carado Banff).

Did any of you saw the concept at a show? https://newatlas.com/thor-sequence-c...concept/58960/ I wonder how the build qualify measure up. From the La Mesa MSRP window sticker details you can see some of the standard equipment (they seem to match a Travato 59K)
tooTallforB? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing all the info you found

I like most of what I see so far. It'll be interesting to hear from folks that get to see one at a dealer or at a show.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Interesting intro, as long the quality is good at this decent price it could the beginning of tapping to the market which Hymer started via Roadtrek. Hymer failed miserably by reliance on Roadtrek management but they brought to manufacturers attention that sales will go up. Let’s hope that quality is good.

I like the ope layout and visibility from inside out. Yesterday I attended the Adventure Van Expo in Mt. Hood Meadows with DIYVan folks. Hein did all CNC work for me and asked me to be part of his group. Regarding my van the most prevailing comment was “wow, this is open” as folks compared it with other “cage” like architectures.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Bronze Member

edit: specs for the new sequence are now out: https://www.thormotorcoach.com/motor...omes/sequence/
Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Let's hope that quality is at the EU Hymer level. Good specs, it should sell well at that price.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The interior looks exactly like a Travato K. So much for innovation!
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #7

Default differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
The interior looks exactly like a Travato K. So much for innovation!
Better than Travato: (1) electronic interface for controls with app (2) Truma app controlled (3) Better couch seating - still sideways (4) better 7 inch cab information system (5) Better shower curtain system in the back (6) ladder and bike rack standard

Worse than the Travat (1) Major Major drawback - based on the Promaster window body - windows do not open! One small window on the sliding door and one small window behind the galley. That to me is a dealbreaker- how do you get fresh air at night unless you run AC? If the incorporated so much user feedback I don't know how no one ever brought this up.
IvanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I like the light colors... and the fancy new gas cooktop.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

We toured a Winnebago Boldt in June. The Thor Sequence looks just like one at half the price!!!!
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Ultramobility review of the Thor Sequence and my own tall guy review

Well done video with a review of the Sequence by Ultramobility:

I've seen one in person this weekend. A lot of good things in it compared to the Travato K. As a taller person I appreciate that it has a low profile A/C inside with no big buttons to bang my head into like the K as well as well placed smoke detector out of the main alley. Also in the bathroom the ceiling light is not dead center in the middle of the shower pan allowing someone 6'4" to avoid banging in it. The passenger bed length is good (I think 80" and lots of room to have your feet dangle a bit. Same thing with the bed in the "full position with the middle part set up some leeway for dangling feet.

The driver seat can be pushed quite far like in the Travato K (and unlike the Travato G, unfortunatly I feel like my knees are in the dashboard on that one) offering a slightly better driving position, I'm still not a big fan of the seating position of the Promaster however.

The things that worry me (beside the lack of opening of the windows near the head of the beds) is the quality and insolation. The unit I toured was missing the whole trim sliding door panel (apparently they forgot to put it on or it was lost in transport???) and there is absolutel zero insolation in the inside of the door. There was also a big part of the trim on the driver side be not properly set up and they were waiting for part. That seem to have some thin layer of felt like insolation glued to the trim, maybe it's the same thing for the sliding door panel. Also the drawer seemed to have positive locking, but not the top cabinets, this is probably not much to fix but still an annoyance.

It's quite a bargain at that price for sure compared to the Travato K, given all the pluses equipment wise but not sure how it will hold, possibly just first out of the assembly line pains. I dunno.

Anybody else got to check it out? it's certainly on my short list.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Yes, Neil does good reviews at his Ultramobility youtube channel.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Is there any manufacturer who is bothering to insulate the doors on their Promasters? I had it added to my Roadtrek because they didn't either.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I'll bet many manufacturers do not insulate doors. In fact, I had to finish the coach wall insulation in my Airstream Avenue that was hit & miss. It was as if Airstream gave their insulation guy half of what he needed and told him to "do the best you can". My poor compressor fridge was dealing with areas of hot bare metal skin and temps of 120+ in the cavity behind it. Even after adding complete insulation myself, the temps still hit 110 back there when sitting in my driveway in full sun.

So far I haven't pulled any door panels, but if was a betting man, I'd guess they aren't insulated. At least my doors are covered by plastic and ultraleather panels and I've not noticed any great heat or cold transfers there so far.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooTallforB? View Post
Well done video with a review of the Sequence by Ultramobility:

I've seen one in person this weekend. A lot of good things in it compared to the Travato K. As a taller person I appreciate that it has a low profile A/C inside with no big buttons to bang my head into like the K as well as well placed smoke detector out of the main alley. Also in the bathroom the ceiling light is not dead center in the middle of the shower pan allowing someone 6'4" to avoid banging in it. The passenger bed length is good (I think 80" and lots of room to have your feet dangle a bit. Same thing with the bed in the "full position with the middle part set up some leeway for dangling feet.

The driver seat can be pushed quite far like in the Travato K (and unlike the Travato G, unfortunatly I feel like my knees are in the dashboard on that one) offering a slightly better driving position, I'm still not a big fan of the seating position of the Promaster however.

The things that worry me (beside the lack of opening of the windows near the head of the beds) is the quality and insolation. The unit I toured was missing the whole trim sliding door panel (apparently they forgot to put it on or it was lost in transport???) and there is absolutel zero insolation in the inside of the door. There was also a big part of the trim on the driver side be not properly set up and they were waiting for part. That seem to have some thin layer of felt like insolation glued to the trim, maybe it's the same thing for the sliding door panel. Also the drawer seemed to have positive locking, but not the top cabinets, this is probably not much to fix but still an annoyance.

It's quite a bargain at that price for sure compared to the Travato K, given all the pluses equipment wise but not sure how it will hold, possibly just first out of the assembly line pains. I dunno.

Anybody else got to check it out? it's certainly on my short list.

Just saw it at the California RV show. Really close to buying this one and trading in our Thor Compass. Can't beat the price and features. Loving the split beds. Hey it's not a $150k coach, and far from perfect. As for the windows not opening, there's couple of solutions. Open the bathroom, main cabin ceiling vent, and galley window at night. Should be plenty of ventilation. You can always replace those small back windows with venting ones for few hundred bucks if you really want more air. Its so small I doubt it would make much difference.
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Great product at great price. I would have an issue with road clearance at black tank drain. This would be a show stopper for me. Perhaps a macerator pump in lieu of gravity drain could solve it. Price is more in line with EU prices.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled2.png (270.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Untitled1.png (293.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Platinum Member

All that junk hanging behind the rear tire isn't going to last long. Probably the reason for the short warranty from dear Thor. And is that the exhaust for the generator? One so often wonders if the designers have ever used an RV or driven a van or seen a campground or visited a national park.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Great product at great price. I would have an issue with road clearance at black tank drain. This would be a show stopper for me. Perhaps a macerator pump in lieu of gravity drain could solve it. Price is more in line with EU prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
All that junk hanging behind the rear tire isn't going to last long. Probably the reason for the short warranty from dear Thor. And is that the exhaust for the generator? One so often wonders if the designers have ever used an RV or driven a van or seen a campground or visited a national park.
Yep, never back into a curb.

I think that is unacceptable, However, even though I've never dragged it, my van's low-point is the break-over between the front and rear wheels on a 155" wheelbase Chevy Express. Both the macerator on the driver's side and the power step on the passenger side are mid-ship, just a bit over 6" clearance from the road. I doubt I'll ever do a lift, but wouldn't rule out crunching something if I have don't pay strict attention to entering and exiting steep driveways that level out immediately at the top.

Other than that and watching for low-hanging branches, I can easily forget I'm in such a large van.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Silver Member

The Thor Tellaro eliminates the black tank in favor of a cassette toilet, so hopefully that resolves the ground clearance issue.
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
The Thor Tellaro eliminates the black tank in favor of a cassette toilet, so hopefully that resolves the ground clearance issue.
Welcome to the forum Vann_Dreams!

Ground clearance is critical, but I don't think I'd ever warm to a cassette toilet. I like my macerator. No gunky hoses to connect/disconnect. Just pull it over to a dump site, remove a 1" cap, and flip a switch. Replace the cap, stuff the very flexible hose back inside it's storage, and drive.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum Vann_Dreams!

Ground clearance is critical, but I don't think I'd ever warm to a cassette toilet. I like my macerator. No gunky hoses to connect/disconnect. Just pull it over to a dump site, remove a 1" cap, and flip a switch. Replace the cap, stuff the very flexible hose back inside it's storage, and drive.
A lot of strong opinions against cassette style toilets but they are gaining grounds in NA. We are lucky to have both systems available; cassettes are the only choice outside of NA.