Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #21

Does limited slip diff assist in driving uphill in snowand ice? I've been advised and lockers and lsd actually hinder performance in snow? I intend to buy winter tires for my Roadtrek 190 plus and may buy studded tires.
Kevin Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Graves View Post
Does limited slip diff assist in driving uphill in snowand ice? I've been advised and lockers and lsd actually hinder performance in snow? I intend to buy winter tires for my Roadtrek 190 plus and may buy studded tires.
Limited slip can be helpful in snow or any poor traction conditions. Lockers are generally considered a bad option for snow because of how they work - the two wheels are locked together at the differential, forced to spin at exactly the same speed. This means that every time you go around a corner, one of the wheels will break loose - it has to. This is also the reason you should never engage lockers on pavement. Something has to give when you go around a corner. On snow, one wheel breaking loose in a corner can quickly lead to the back end coming around and next thing you know, you are in a ditch. This is not a problem at crawling speeds, but at 10 mph or more can quickly get you in trouble.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't recall them ever having a 4x4 Roadtrek. You'll have to verify that. I know they never had one at Tahquamenon Falls SP.

LOL, do you believe it now that you have seen the video?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Limited slippers and lockers will get you going in slippery conditions, but also can make it very difficult to keep the rear end in line with the front without swapping ends. Air lockers or other "safe" versions are just fine as they only work when needed. GM Govlock needs differential rear wheel speeds to lock and then auto disconnects at 20 mph for instance. There are now other designs that do similar and would also be safe and effective.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
LOL, do you believe it now that you have seen the video?
I missed that one. I couldn't keep up with his freebies. That was just two years ago June, 2017 so I guess they had it a short time. I missed the January, 2018 Winter Freezeout opting for Australia instead. By January, 2019 they had a different white Roadtrek which I guess they had to relinquish right after as the news about Roadtrek broke then. My recollections were correct from when I saw them. I think my comments still stand. I doubt they had much expertise with 4x4.

I listened to his last two podcast while working out at Snapfitness followed by a walk today. They were heavily into advertising Battleborn lithium batteries and Rad electric bikes. Of course they had both.

This is the Wendlands van at the January, 2019 Winter Freezeout. Note their graphics had no Roadtrekking mention prior to the news breaking about Roadtrek. This was not a 4x4.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote