Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 4x4 Sprinter Coming in 2015!

This could be a game changer for the class b van industry. I can't wait to get a Roadtrek or LTV with 4 wheel drive.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-lo ... rinter-van

FINALLY!!!!
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 4x4 Sprinter Coming in 2015!

You may have to wait awhile for Roadtrek or LTV but Advanced RV has already started. Of course, Sportsmobile will be converting them as well.

Meet EcoRanger, The All-Wheel Drive Advanced RV
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Not sure I'd call it a game changer.

Remember, this is still a unibody van, not a body on frame. So serious off-road would be a challenge.

From the picture, it looks like you are giving up the rear duals. True? If so, that is taking a lot of payload out of the van.

But is certainly would be good for forest service roads and well-maintained trails/dirt roads on BLM lands. As well as snowy-slushy areas for all those winter loving campers.

It will be interesting to see what Sportsmobile does with these - if they attempt the lift kits and huge tires.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Advanced RV just used a stock photo of a 2500 4x4 since they don't actually have a 4x4 yet. Nor does anyone else since they don't go into production until after the first of the year at the earliest. Note the European license plate. I believe the dually will go 4x4 also. But, I don't know for sure. There hasn't been any specs published yet that I can find.

As for off-road as in "serious" I would think one would have to be a little off-rocker considering what you carry inside a Class B. I don't believe anyone thinks of it as a Jeep and Mercedes Benz has never suggested that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Bronze Member

The MB sprinter site now has the 4x4 options listed. You con build out a set of options including a 3500 with 4x4 and get a price.

To get to the 4x4 options you need to expand the list of packages on the bottom of the packages tab. The two 4x4's are on the bottom of the page.
FredA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It's a game changer for me. As I write this I am camped on blm land in Nevada. I stopped where I am because I didn't want to risk getting stuck in the snow/mud, I would have liked to travel further on this dirt road. Wanting to move into a class B no 4x4 has always held me back, just because my favorite spots out west here require a little more clearance and 4x4 just makes me feel better about being alone way out on these dirt roads. 4x4 would mostly be a just in case scenario for me and would allow me to be more adventurous.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Not sure I'd call it a game changer.

Remember, this is still a unibody van, not a body on frame. So serious off-road would be a challenge.

From the picture, it looks like you are giving up the rear duals. True? If so, that is taking a lot of payload out of the van.

But is certainly would be good for forest service roads and well-maintained trails/dirt roads on BLM lands. As well as snowy-slushy areas for all those winter loving campers.

It will be interesting to see what Sportsmobile does with these - if they attempt the lift kits and huge tires.
I've seen 4 X 4 Chev vans used by our main telephone company to reach some of their more awkwardly situated comms towers. Theres one such tower on the property at my outdoors club and I almost ran into one last winter. He was coming around a blind curve in the driveway and we both had to pull over to squeeze by each other in the snow. As he blew by me I saw the 4x4 designation on his van. No wonder he didn't seem too concerned about how far off the roadway he drifted.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Silver Member

I love that they will make these 4x4. We just ordered an Era, Winnebago told us they have no immediate plans to do the B's 4x4 tho. Anyone hear different? Unfortunately we can barely afford the Era but honestly if I could get it made 4x4 would have tried to do it.
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote