Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #1

Default 99 Pleasure-Way

Hi All,
I'm looking at purchasing a 99 Pleasure-Way Excel TD. The coach and van appear to be in great shape. However, I'm worried about the high mileage, 93K. Since I plan on extensive travel, hopefully to Alaska next year, I'm wondering what kind of lifespan I can get out of it. My primary concerns are the Dodge drivetrain. Any thoughts and recommendations?

I'm checking on extended warranties, but some won't cover that kind of mileage. Good Sam's website states max of 15 years old and 80K miles for initial warranty. Does anyone know of a warranty company that will cover a vehicle of this age and mileage, and at a fairly reasonable price?

Thanks, and have a great day?

Don
donrebyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 99 Pleasure-Way

Hi Don,
If the owner has the paperwork for past maintenance, that will give you a good indicator of just how well it was maintained. If your serious on this vehicle, take it to the dealer (not RV, but Chevy, Ford) and have them go over it real good; of course you will pay for it, but small price for peace of mind. As for 93K, if properly maintained, that engine is good to go for a long time. Safe travels, Ron.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree with Ron's advice. Get it checked out by a mechanic for peace of mind. The 93,000 miles is good for a 14 year old vehicle. My guess is that an extended warranty at this point would be costly. I had a 1998 Dodge 3500 van (bought when it was 12 years old) with less miles that needed brakes and ball joints to pass a safety inspection. No engine or transmission issues at all.

Tires can be costly so check the age on those.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. That is good advice to get it checked by a Dodge dealer. I'll set that up before making the purchase.

Have a great day, all.

Don
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Edmunds.com is a great place to get owner reviews on used vehicles. I bought my dodge van with a 5.2 ltr a year ago with 93 k miles and have now 107k with no troubles. I did have to clean the throttle control valve when it had trouble on cold days until warmed up. A very common issue but eazy fix.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Don, I forgot to mention, I wouldn't even think of an extended warranty. They are usually very expensive, the contract full of caveats and exceptions all in favor of the firm. Dealers push them because they get nice kick-backs. I have usually taken the money that a particular warranty was going to cost and put it in the bank.......never had to go to it, good deal for me. Safe travels, Ron.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #7

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to pass on the extended warranty and take it to a garage, probably a Dodge dealer, for a thorough checkup before buying it.
Don
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

FYI, the deal fell through. I've since found a 94 Falcon, and will pick it up this weekend. I'm getting anxious.
Don