Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
In some ways it may be moot, but... We are talking about building very expensive battery/generator/solar systems to power AC units that may too big for a small class B RV. Wouldn't it be a lot smarter/easier/efficient to come up with the correct size AC and then design the correct (smaller) battery setup to power it?

No, no, no - that would make too much sense...
Old 03-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Along the same lines, at least to me, is cooling a large chunk of steel and other parts when an air conditioned dog crate could do it with may 5% of the cooling capacity needed for the entire van.

Put Fido in the cooled crate, which has your warning device that you need anyway, open the vent, windows, and run the fan to keep the rest of the van as cool as possible, and barely make a dent in your battery power.

Why would that not be an option not be work, for those of you who have dogs traveling with you?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #23
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Along the same lines, at least to me, is cooling a large chunk of steel and other parts when an air conditioned dog crate could do it with may 5% of the cooling capacity needed for the entire van.

Put Fido in the cooled crate, which has your warning device that you need anyway, open the vent, windows, and run the fan to keep the rest of the van as cool as possible, and barely make a dent in your battery power.

Why would that not be an option not be work, for those of you who have dogs traveling with you?
And maybe a little larger, so someone can crawl into one at night to sleep.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
And maybe a little larger, so someone can crawl into one at night to sleep.

Bud
With or without the dog?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #25
Platinum Member

No often mentioned is heat reduction due to an IR blocking, just like tropical double roofs have, by well installed solar panels. A fully populated roof with the exception of a place for a good fan will reduce daily heat intake in sunny days. As long there is a decent airflow gap allowing good cooling airflow solar panels are will indeed become tropical double roofs.
Most of if not all roof AC are very loud for day use and too loud for nights so good fan is a good substitute to AC with minimal energy requirements to run.
Tropical Roofs (Double Roof) - Expedition Portal)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
Bud
Platinum Member

"A fully populated roof with the exception of a place for a good fan will reduce daily heat intake in sunny days."

One could give the fan a double roof too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
Bronze Member

Default Cut down on heat gain

This is what I did to cut down on heat gain. It works great and cost less than $15.00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1404.JPG (181.5 KB, 99 views)
classbbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Do you think you could convince someone to build you a custom A/C? Or build it yourself?

I don't think the units being installed in vans right now are too far out of whack, size-wise. Over on Air Forums, people with Interstates routinely complain about their roof units being too small. That has probably been somewhat of a sales impediment to Airstream, at least in the deep south.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classbbud View Post
This is what I did to cut down on heat gain. It works great and cost less than $15.00.

It works. THat's all that counts.

ps. you might as well build an A-frame
Old 03-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Do you think you could convince someone to build you a custom A/C? Or build it yourself?

I don't think the units being installed in vans right now are too far out of whack, size-wise. Over on Air Forums, people with Interstates routinely complain about their roof units being too small. That has probably been somewhat of a sales impediment to Airstream, at least in the deep south.
Good insulation, reflecting IR including windows are major components to keep vans cool. I don’t know how well Airstream Interstates are insulated.

Truma has good inside mounted AC but for 220V only, as far as I know. The inside mounted units are very quiet. https://www.truma.com/int/en/product.../overview.html
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by classbbud View Post
I like this solution, Classbbud. Might give that a try even though we aren't having heat gain issues at the moment.
Ziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #32
Bronze Member

This tarp is made of six "Space Blankets" taped together with clear packing tape. The whole thing is stored in a one gallon food storage bag. When I touch the inside wall of the van on a hot/sunny day, I can't feel any heat gain. It's quite amazing.
classbbud is offline   Reply With Quote