Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If this new compact window A/C ever becomes available it could be used as a portable unit installed in one of the cab windows when parked.

https://www.kapsulair.com/pre-order

I could see that as a floor or shelf unit that lined up with a great or a door that opened when you pushed it through. Looks like normal type efficiency at SEER 11.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #22

Default AC for Travato

I understand there is a much quieter option that will be installed in 2020 Travato and can be retrofitted to older models. It’s a Coleman MACH 10. My dealer wanted about $1500 for the unit including install in my 2019 T. I’m holding off for now as I live in PNW and haven’t needed to use AC yet. Would love to hear about any other experience with Mach 10 or other quiet options.
meyerconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
If this new compact window A/C ever becomes available it could be used as a portable unit installed in one of the cab windows when parked.

https://www.kapsulair.com/pre-order
I've been waiting for this to make it to market for a while. Hope it actually happens.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #24
Platinum Member

There has been a lot of talk about this over at the Travato Facebook site. The new Coleman is called the non-ducted quiet (NDQ), and compared to the version in the 2019s, it has been measured at 8 dB quieter, which is quite a lot. My understanding is that the NDQs are not available as yet, except from the factory in Kansas which will install the NDQ for $750.

Also, IIRC, one member from the FB group got the ARV A/C done for something like $2,750 and he reported that he had a chance to compare it to the NDQ. He said it was quieter than the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ but I don't remember any systematic testing in dB difference though.

There is more info on the FB group.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerconsult View Post
I understand there is a much quieter option that will be installed in 2020 Travato and can be retrofitted to older models. It’s a Coleman MACH 10. My dealer wanted about $1500 for the unit including install in my 2019 T. I’m holding off for now as I live in PNW and haven’t needed to use AC yet. Would love to hear about any other experience with Mach 10 or other quiet options.
Ì installed a mach 10, 13,500 btu in my 1994 B PLEASUREWAY VAN. COMPAIRED TO THE ORIGINAL AC UNIT, IT IS A LITTLE QUIETER. NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE between high and low noise level that I can tell. It is kind of overkill for a class b, but I like that I can cool down the van from 100 degrees to 75 in about 45minutes or less. I originally ordered the cub ac which is 9200 btu ultra low profile. Seller said the shipper lost it and offered the mach 10 low profile 13,500 btu at no additional cost. I'm quite pleased with the performance of the ac and have not had any humidity issues in 3 yrs. since the istall.
dnnytlsn@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #26
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
There has been a lot of talk about this over at the Travato Facebook site. The new Coleman is called the non-ducted quiet (NDQ), and compared to the version in the 2019s, it has been measured at 8 dB quieter, which is quite a lot. My understanding is that the NDQs are not available as yet, except from the factory in Kansas which will install the NDQ for $750.

Also, IIRC, one member from the FB group got the ARV A/C done for something like $2,750 and he reported that he had a chance to compare it to the NDQ. He said it was quieter than the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ but I don't remember any systematic testing in dB difference though.

There is more info on the FB group.
Half or twice as loud is subjective, but is generally considered to be 10db.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnytlsn@yahoo.com View Post
Ì installed a mach 10, 13,500 btu in my 1994 B PLEASUREWAY VAN. COMPAIRED TO THE ORIGINAL AC UNIT, IT IS A LITTLE QUIETER. NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE between high and low noise level that I can tell. It is kind of overkill for a class b, but I like that I can cool down the van from 100 degrees to 75 in about 45minutes or less. I originally ordered the cub ac which is 9200 btu ultra low profile. Seller said the shipper lost it and offered the mach 10 low profile 13,500 btu at no additional cost. I'm quite pleased with the performance of the ac and have not had any humidity issues in 3 yrs. since the istall.
My experience mirrors your regarding larger a/c size. My Airstream Avenue (Chevy Express chassis - similar to Roadtrek 190P) came with a large 13.5k air conditioner standard. When I needed to replace, I ordered the same size in the Coleman Mach 8 low profile but they shipped me a 15k unit by mistake.

I was worried it was too oversized, but they made enough incentive to make me keep it and advice on this forum also thought it'd be ok.

Turns out it was ok. It actually runs a 1A less draw than the old unit and is noticeably quieter on medium (mainly because my old unit only had high & higher speeds while this one has a true medium fan speed). As you said, I've had no problem with humidity.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Here's a test of the dB levels of the Dometic, Houghton and the ProAir. The ProAir wins.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Here's a test of the dB levels of the Dometic, Houghton and the ProAir. The ProAir wins.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Not on Facebook, how are those dummy accounts done?

Must be interesting. We know that sometimes db does not account for pleasantness like an onan resonator.

Bud
Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Not on Facebook, how are those dummy accounts done?

Bud
Since I posted the photo separately, you should be able to see the numbers.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #31
Bud
Platinum Member

Odd, the pic was not there when I posted. Times seems odd too, but I know little to nothing about forum stuff.

Thanks.

Bud
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Odd, the pic was not there when I posted. Times seems odd too, but I know little to nothing about forum stuff.

Thanks.

Bud
Not times. DB.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Dutch: The FB link you posted does not seem to work for me. FB says the content is no longer available. Can you give a better link? I'd be interested to see how the testing was done. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerconsult View Post
Hi, which dealer is this? I am heading up your way in a few months. Really would like a quieter ac... dogs . Thank you!
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dutch: The FB link you posted does not seem to work for me. FB says the content is no longer available. Can you give a better link? I'd be interested to see how the testing was done. Thanks.
Here is the dialog that was posted with the three photos:

Quote:
The results are in........ I did a test today on a normal Dometic 13,500 BTU AC, a Houghton "Quiet AC" and a Pro Air 12v 20k BTU AC. They were all three tested on High with the compressor on. The Pro-Air was the quietest and put out the most cold air!!! It is also a 12 volt AC, which means you do not have to use your Generator to run it. I thought you guys would like to see the results of the test. I will say that the Houghton AC was a noticeable difference from a Dometic AC also.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is great! Next someone please post the current draw on each of these. I posted in another thread the Kingtec K20d 12V A/C draws 42-45 amps on high.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
So who did the testing on all three?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #38
Site Team

I would also love to see street prices for all three. The ProAir seems to be an extreme outlier, but maybe my pricing sources are not accurate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Dutch: I tried a google search on a couple of the sentences in the quote you gave and that led nowhere. Who posted the original video that you cited? Did this information come from Coachmen, or ProAir, or someone more independent? I'd like to get back to the source of this information so i can see how they did the testing.

Thanks.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dutch: I tried a google search on a couple of the sentences in the quote you gave and that led nowhere. Who posted the original video that you cited? Did this information come from Coachmen, or ProAir, or someone more independent? I'd like to get back to the source of this information so i can see how they did the testing.

Thanks.
It was an RV dealer who sells all three in various RV's.