Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
Anything that adds "disposable" plastic bags to the environment is bad. Secondly, anything that causes human waste to be disposed of in a manner other than through a septic or sewage treatment system is bad, especially if it's mixed in with normal "trash" and you're potentially exposing other people in the trash-waste disposal 'system' to your waste. There are too many of us doing this now. We all need to be more mindful of what happens with those plastic bags after they leave our hands.

Stick with a composting toilet, porta-pottie, or standard dump RV system.
Wag Bags are biodegradeable and make the waste harmless so are they really something to worry about in the massive stream of waste going to landfills?

Most people using composting toilets in RVs do not get complete composting and throw the partially composted material into the trash, again if you are using biodegradable bags is this something to worry about either?

I agree with the goal of reducing the amount of waste going to landfills and with the goal of eliminating plastics that do not degrade from getting into the ecosystem but in the grand scheme of things I wonder if waste from these toilets is something that is a high priority...

I have a cassette toilet and have dumped it in pit toilets, dump stations, and regular toilets in rest areas so I am okay, I guess...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #22

Don’t see any advantage in a RV. Like having a toilet in your living room.
Kaypay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #23
Gold Member

Looks like an expensive, complicated diaper genie... If you want to poop in bags and store bags of poop, there are plenty of simple and cheap options. I would prefer a cat hole over this if out boondocking to save my black tank a d water capacity.

For a van build I would go with a Boon John or C-Head like I use in my tiny house over this if you don't want to invest space/money in a proper bathroom...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Something extra to carry.... I don't want to deal with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Wag Bags are biodegradeable and make the waste harmless so are they really something to worry about in the massive stream of waste going to landfills?

Most people using composting toilets in RVs do not get complete composting and throw the partially composted material into the trash, again if you are using biodegradable bags is this something to worry about either?

I agree with the goal of reducing the amount of waste going to landfills and with the goal of eliminating plastics that do not degrade from getting into the ecosystem but in the grand scheme of things I wonder if waste from these toilets is something that is a high priority...

I have a cassette toilet and have dumped it in pit toilets, dump stations, and regular toilets in rest areas so I am okay, I guess...
Extra bags you have to store and dispose..

I don't have a self-build RV... Have three separate tanks, fresh water, gray water and black water with indoor plumbing.. this works for me....

If I wanted to deal with the compost or portable toilet....I might still have my teardrop trailer?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
Platinum Member

We use a Thetford Curve cassette toilet in our sprinter and really like it. We don't boondock much, so we are usually close to a toilet of some kind (flush or long drop). The thetford is for our use for #1 only in the middle of the night. Empty it when half-full. If you have to #2, a flashlight and walk awaits you. My wife's rules; not mine. We modified a long wheelbase model, so we had a few more inches to play with.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #26

The cassette style toilet in our old 87 Campwagon class B was one of the best I've seen. It was in a rear corner and the tank could be taken out via the rear door and dumped in any flush toilet. Handy, clean and ready to use after too much morning coffee.
browngw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #27
Platinum Member

There is some confusion regarding portable and cassette toilets, perhaps FITRV started this trend. Both of these styles have different advantages and disadvantages so for folks making decisions it would be beneficial not to mix these two.

Portable toilets:
Portable, no vents, upper water tank splits from lower black tank.

Cassette toilets:
Permanently mounted, usually vented, cassette slides out from mounted toilet.
Attached Images
File Type: png portable.png (144.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png cassettes.png (83.9 KB, 12 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Self build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
We use a Thetford Curve cassette toilet in our sprinter and really like it. We don't boondock much, so we are usually close to a toilet of some kind (flush or long drop). The thetford is for our use for #1 only in the middle of the night. Empty it when half-full. If you have to #2, a flashlight and walk awaits you. My wife's rules; not mine. We modified a long wheelbase model, so we had a few more inches to play with.
Did you build out your own conversion? What is the length of your Sprinter? Mine is a 170 inch, 3500 model with the dual wheels?

Yes, I've heard good things about the cassette toilet, we just don't have that. Nothing wrong with it, just different.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I too was reminded of the diaper genie.

The wag bag system is more sensible and what I use in my rigs because my trips are short... usually 1-2 days. And in MN I have no access to water or a dump. You can buy bio-degradable bags to use. They are no worse to put into the trash that diapers... baby or Depends style.

This crazy "green" toilet costs almost a thousand dollars... nuts...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Default No access to water or dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I too was reminded of the diaper genie.

The wag bag system is more sensible and what I use in my rigs because my trips are short... usually 1-2 days. And in MN I have no access to water or a dump. You can buy bio-degradable bags to use. They are no worse to put into the trash that diapers... baby or Depends style.

This crazy "green" toilet costs almost a thousand dollars... nuts...
Are you saying that you don't personally have easy access or that it's everywhere like that in Minnesota? I've never imagined that....? Just curious.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #31
Platinum Member

The human waste moralizing is reminding me of the disposable dishes moralizing that recently happened on this other thread.

Whether it's a plastic bag or a plastic fork, the calculus is the same - there is so much pollution generated by any given Class B that to quibble over this or that fragment of plastic is an exercise in lunacy.

Some numbers to illustrate this perspective. I generate 3.7 tons of CO2 on my annual trip to Nova Scotia alone. Since buying the Class B, I've emitted approximately one million pounds of CO2 just from fuel combustion!! That does not account for the massive amount of waste that was generated or the massive amount of energy that was consumed during the initial Class B manufacturing process.

Obviously, if I were really serious about reducing pollution, the thing for me to do is to not give the slightest thought to plastic forks and bags, and simply drive less. Worrying about forks and bags is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #32
Gold Member

I use a simple composting toilet that lives in the shower stall while driving. It’s cheap, easy and eco-friendly.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Are you saying that you don't personally have easy access or that it's everywhere like that in Minnesota? I've never imagined that....? Just curious.
Campgrounds are usually closed from about October 15 to May 1 in Minnesota for the winter. Even if opened, bathrooms and dump stations may be closed. It is not easy to find an RV dumpstation, especially in a metro area. My condo garage complex fortunately has one and I will use it next week.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
I use a simple composting toilet that lives in the shower stall while driving. It’s cheap, easy and eco-friendly.
How is it eco friendly when disposal is actually not compost?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Default Bigfoot RV on Toyota

$Approx. $73K

@2:24 Bathroom Design

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Default No indoor shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post

$Approx. $73K

Did I miss something? $73,000 and no shower or flush toilet?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #37
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=ClassB4Me;90588]

$Approx. $73K

Interesting design. It looks like white painted wood construction. Portable toilet slides in and it seems this bathroom is either shower or toilet.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #38
afb

I don't understand why bathroom compartments/cabinets are not widely used. It has the same advantages (including privacy with the addition of a sound isolating curtain) as a dedicated bathroom, but is more space efficient because it also serves as countertop or seating area when not being used as a bathroom. A compartment/cabinet can accommodate any type of toilet (rv, cassette, porta potty, bucket, composting). So why isn't this design more popular?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet3open.jpg (43.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg toilet3closed.jpg (37.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png toilet1 closed.png (865.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png toilet1open.png (781.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg toilet4.jpg (49.3 KB, 15 views)
afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #39
Platinum Member

For a clever design on a larger vehicle look at the Earthcruiser combination entryway, shower, toilet area. Not practical on a Class B due to the layout but for the Earthcruiser it makes perfect sense...

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #40
Platinum Member

I'm not a fan of convertible or dual use of space if I can help it and certainly where privacy is compromised or interferes with your partner's activity and definitely not in the same space where food is served. In a Class B that is everywhere, thus a defined enclosed bathroom with ventilation. You do have to compromise with a wet bath if you desire showering usually in a Class B but wet baths have proven to keep your bathroom cleaner.

If you are a weekender or solo traveler maybe you could tolerate it, but if you are out for several weeks on extended trips with a partner it can wear on you.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter