Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: A taste of a Transit conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
On the MB do all the active features go on and off together, or can you select?
You can select.

Davydd:
The high-beam feature is da bomb. This is not the most important feature in the package, but it is the one that comes closest to artificial intelligence. It almost always gets it right, and does so faster than you ever could.
I know as I have been told, but it is just I have never had the opportunity as 99% of our RV driving is in the daylight. I did mention I have been a traditional cheater using low beam most all of the time. This will change that.

You also mentioned the steering wheel controls. I too don't think of them as a luxury as I can now work them without looking meaning my eyes stay on the road more.

The activation, or I should say deactivation controls, are there on the dash. I leave everything on.

Our Pioneer GPS system does not let you route plan unless you are stopped. That is a little bit of a pain since the passenger always did that on the road anyway. With our iPhones the passenger just uses Google or Apple Maps to fill in planning gaps. We haven't tested the Apple CarPlay ability yet through the Pioneer to get iPhone info on the touch screen. So far the built in GPS has served us OK. It has a lot more information on display than Apple or Google Maps at a glance.

We have Serius built in and ready to go but haven't signed up. So far the many iPhone internet radio apps have done the job for us 95% of the time with our favorite home radio stations. If that fails us I now have three full days of continuous music loaded from the iPhone through a USB connection I can play through the RV speakers. I loaded every CD I own onto iTunes these past three weeks. What's playing shows on the touch screen if you choose to use the Shuffle and play lists. I may load some audio books and podcasts. We mostly listen to Minnesota Public Radio in the morning for the local news and then switch over to Joe Soucheray's Garage Logic at 1 PM on ESPN KSTP 1500 AM. It is great to have home with you on the road so you don't return home wondering what's been going on.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Default Re: A taste of a Transit conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
If every vehicle on the road was self driving I think I would feel a little more comfortable.
Yeah. After Norman Bel Geddes designed the GM Futurama for the 1939 Worlds Fair, he wrote a book called "Magic Motorways", which predicted that highways would eventually be totally automated. He pointed out that in such a world, you wouldn't need cloverleaf interchanges. There would simply be grade crossings at which the cars would time themselves so as to interleave at speed. What an image! It may come to that, though. There certainly will be "trains" of cars traveling inches apart in each other's slipstream. Will save tons of fuel.
Quote:
As it is, no intelligent system can anticipate what a human might do.
...including humans.
Speaking of timing, it has been years, but one of my favorite types of racing to watch where the figure 8 jalopy races. Then I experienced it in Cairo, Egypt (as a passenger) where I saw but one stop light in a metro area of 25 million people.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote