View Poll Results: Is AAA membership worth the cost?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: AAA worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy White
This is a great poll question for someone like me ( with NO RV experiance at all )...I didnt vote Yes or No simply because i dont know. I saw Davydd mentioned Good Sam? I will have to dig around and find out about what that is and do my research , because i have only had AAA when i had a car in the past.
Good Sam ERS can be purchased online without a Good Sam Club membership. It does all the stuff that AAA does without all the AAA bells and whistles. The base package is designed for RV coverage as it sits, unlike AAA where you have to add the RV PLUS upgrade to get motorhome coverage. In Canada, GS ERS is cheaper than CAA(AAA) RV PLUS.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
Site Team

There are MUCH better options available than AAA. It is expensive and last I checked there were significant gaps in their RV coverage. I suggest looking at CoachNet and Allstate Travel Club (which is not tied to having Allstate Insurance). Good Sam's is simply a reseller of Allstate. They used to be more expensive, but appear to be identical now. Allstate does not flood your snail-mail box with disgusting amounts of junk mail, though.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
There are MUCH better options available than AAA. It is expensive and last I checked there were significant gaps in their RV coverage. I suggest looking at CoachNet and Allstate Travel Club (which is not tied to having Allstate Insurance). Good Sam's is simply a reseller of Allstate. They used to be more expensive, but appear to be identical now. Allstate does not flood your snail-mail box with disgusting amounts of junk mail, though.
FYI, Allstate TC isn't available in Canada.
For a no frills ERS package up here, Good Sam is probably the best option, but due diligence is always advised.
I agree about the Good Sam ERS hardcopy junk mail. Mr. Lemonis is a ckever man who knows his customer base. If you send out a renewal notice often enough, someone might renew earlier than necessary. You have to pay attention if you do use Good Sam ERS. That would be my only caveat for it.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Good to know, Thanks Mike for the info.
Bugsy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #15
Platinum Member

No problem. Good luck with it.
If you do go with Good Sam ERS, watch out for the extremely early renewals you'll start to get about 7 months into your first year's subscription. I usually get about 3-4 renewal notices starting at least 5 months before my expiry date. And usually one or 2 late notices after I actually renew. They're a pita in that respect, but the price is right and I've had no service issues whenever I've had to use the ERS. I've used them 3 times in the last year, twice for motorhome issues and once for a non RV issue.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #16
Site Team

Yes. Good Sam's marketing practices are beyond what I find acceptable. I dropped them largely for this reason alone. As I said above, they are simply a reseller for Allstate. You can buy exactly the same thing from them (at least in the US), without all the BS. That is what I did.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I just renewed Good Sam ERS It came down to AARP or Good Sam based mostly on price. I wasn't sure if I had to call AARP to add the RV or not on the Premiere package. At least with Good Sam ERS there's no doubt that it includes the RV automatically.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
At least with Good Sam ERS there's no doubt that it includes the RV automatically.
Just for the record, the Allstate program I was referring to is called "RV Road Help":

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/

so, there's no ambiguity there, either.

[N.B.: It is not my intent to shill for Allstate. This is the same program that Good Sam sells, and usually at the same price. It IS, however, my intent to bash Good Sam's advertising practices. ]
Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
..... Also, I found out Mercedes Benz has their own service you get when you buy the van. I forget how long, but I know it works now. ....... .
The Mercedes-Benz Roadside Service is good for the length of your warranty, including any extended warranty you buy from M-B. They also have a get smart phone app for their service that can send them your location and a photo of your vehicle at time of service call. I've used mine once after a dealer messed up a fuel filter service and caused a massive leak.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 04-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Re:rvroadhelp - It's still a subset of Allstate Motor Club if I'm not mistaken. I checked with them a while back to see if it was available to Canadians and the answer was "no".
I've just asked again by email. Will post up reply when they answer. There are no Canadian provinces listed on their drop down for your location so i expect it's still no.
Too bad, because it might eliminate the spam snail mail, as you mentioned.