View Poll Results: Is AAA membership worth the cost?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default AAA worth it?

I just retired and the DW & I plan on doing some more traveling/camping in our conversion van. We have parents and pets to tend to so we don't full-time, aren't gone for months on end, and are not snow birds. But by the same token want to see the country and get out. In your opinion is the AAA membership worth the money, now that we're on a fixed (low budget) income and all? Their travel planning is of no value to us, as when at home our pastime is plotting our next trip; sites, campgrounds, eateries etc. Just want your opinion.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: AAA worth it?

This is the same question as on RV.net? We have AAA "Plus RV". The slight additional cost was less than a Good Sam membership and we use AAA all year round at home which includes our two cars. We've always had good service with AAA and I assume they are more ubiquitous around the country than Good Sam. You can always pay for both.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

You hit the nail on the head. "Frills". I dropped CAA (Canadian version) when the RV package hit $150/year a few years
ago. Last time I checked, it was over $200/year. We use Good Sam ERS, available without a club membership and you
can buy it online. Haven't had to use it yet, fingers crossed, but it's around $100/year (less if you're a new subscriber,
I think?) for all the same type of roadside help as CAA. Having said that, from the brochure and the description of what
they cover, it reads like a "no frills" roadside RV assistance package, battery boost, fuel delivery, flat changing, towing.
Some auto parts places, and auto/RV insurance companies also offer roadside assistance packages. Coach-Net is also
supposed to be comparable, but no experience with it either. In my opinion, CAA (maybe AAA too?) weren't worth the
extra cost, particularly if you don't use all the "extras" like travel planning, Disney tickets, and the other stuff they offer.
There are also some areas of the lower 48 that AAA are purported to not cover, possibly in the northeast? Not certain
about this, though. Read it on here a while back on another RV ERS thread. There is also a requirement with AAA to add
specific additional persons to your membership, for an additional cost per year. If you don't add your wife for example,
as an associate member to your coverage, and you're not physically with the disabled vehicle, AAA will not respond.
Here's an unvetted blog about AAA, and some of their possible idiosyncrasies.
http://www.elliott.org/blog/aaa-pay-us- ... -your-own/
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Having other cars, AAA is worth every penny . As for RV,s , no in New England. I am presently double insured by Good Sam and Flo Insurance which I believe has roadside service. (Provident through Tobin in New Jersey.)

Heapie
Heapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Why do you say no to New England? I live in CT and I have "AAA plus RV" coverage.
CyclingCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

CoachNet will also cover your other cars.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A bit late to this thread, but I recently had to renew my CAA. Since I have the B now I figured I would ask if it was covered with the Plus membership or if Plus RV is needed.

They have a book they check with requirements for what constitutes an RV. Single axle, under 10,000 GVWR and looks like a van means to CAA that the RV upgrade isn't required. Saves me some money.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCamper
Why do you say no to New England? I live in CT and I have "AAA plus RV" coverage.
A while back there were reports of poor or non existent service by AAA in the New England area for RV related problems. They were anecdotal mostly.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #9
Bronze Member

This is a great poll question for someone like me ( with NO RV experiance at all )...I didnt vote Yes or No simply because i dont know. I saw Davydd mentioned Good Sam? I will have to dig around and find out about what that is and do my research , because i have only had AAA when i had a car in the past.
Bugsy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #10
Platinum Member

We have AAA with the RV addition. We are Good Sam members but we don't have their insurance. Also, I found out Mercedes Benz has their own service you get when you buy the van. I forget how long, but I know it works now. I have no problem with AAA. We have used them but one time 10 years ago with our Bs and that was in Virginia and not our home state of Minnesota. They have been great and reliable for us with our cars and the premium plus for the RV is a lot less than a separate carrier I would think.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote