Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default ABS/ESP Lights On Sprinter

I was driving our ERA yesterday and when I went to turn off on an exit ramp, I pressed on the brake pedal to slow down and turn off when suddenly we heard a noise in the back of the coach towards the rear axle and the ABS/ESP Lights turned on along with a message to visit workshop. I pulled over and checked the rear tires and axle but did not see anything damaged or loose. I turned off the ignition to see if it would reset but after starting it up again, the lights all came back on.

The brakes felt fine the rest of the way home. So today I checked underneath again and nothing seems out of the norm. Started it up, and ran it for about 5 minutes, and no lights.

I plan on taking it tomorrow for a spin to see if the lights remain off. Anyone experience this before?

Any reason why it did what it did?
Abn1SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Silver Member

You most likely need a wheel speed sensor . It is covered under the 5 year 100k emissions warranty. I have already had 4 replaced on my 2015 Era. Exact same symptoms. Very common problem.

It may or may not go into limp mode.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
You most likely need a wheel speed sensor . It is covered under the 5 year 100k emissions warranty. I have already had 4 replaced on my 2015 Era. Exact same symptoms. Very common problem.

It may or may not go into limp mode.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to take it in for sure since you stated it's covered under the 5yr/100k emission warranty and definetly don't want the ERA going into the limp mode.

Question thought...how is a wheel speed sensor covered under the emission warranty?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
Silver Member

I don't know how it is tied into the emission system.. But thanks to members of this forum and sprinter source forum I learned about this. It is specifically listed in your owners manual under emission components covered by warranty.

The last time I had one fixed the dealer charged me for the repair, After paying and driving off I remembered I thought I had read it was covered. I verified it was indeed covered and returned to the dealer who claimed no way it was covered. After showing him the warranty book they apologised and claimed they had no idea. They refunded the full amount paid.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I don't know how it is tied into the emission system.. But thanks to members of this forum and sprinter source forum I learned about this. It is specifically listed in your owners manual under emission components covered by warranty.

The last time I had one fixed the dealer charged me for the repair, After paying and driving off I remembered I thought I had read it was covered. I verified it was indeed covered and returned to the dealer who claimed no way it was covered. After showing him the warranty book they apologised and claimed they had no idea. They refunded the full amount paid.
This is why I asked and needed to know so when I go to the dealer and if the same thing that happened to you happens to me, I will know what to do; thanks a million!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abn1SG View Post
This is why I asked and needed to know so when I go to the dealer and if the same thing that happened to you happens to me, I will know what to do; thanks a million!
Just look in the warranty book that came with your van. If you don't have one it can be downloaded from the Mercedes Sprinter Owners web page. Attached is a copy of my 2012 warranty page on the 5 year/100,000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty. In addition to ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) the wheel speed sensors are inputs to the Engine Emissions Control System.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SprinterEmissionsWarranty.JPG (112.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just look in the warranty book that came with your van. If you don't have one it can be downloaded from the Mercedes Sprinter Owners web page. Attached is a copy of my 2012 warranty page on the 5 year/100,000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty. In addition to ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) the wheel speed sensors are inputs to the Engine Emissions Control System.
Thank you!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Beware: a rear speed sensor issue can sometimes turn into a limp-home situation. Get to the dealer while you can.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Beware: a rear speed sensor issue can sometimes turn into a limp-home situation. Get to the dealer while you can.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Silver Member

Called and talked to the dealer's service department Sprinter advisor and he stated that since the ABS, ESP, and Cruise Control disable lights have all gone away after I turned off and restarted the vehicle, that most likely what happened was a temporary communication issue with the wheel sensors which cause the ABS and ESP lights to come on. Once I turned and started the vehicle again, the module and sensors did a reset and the lights and messages then disappeared.

He recommended to drive the coach around for a while and see if it occurs again, then to bring it in.

He didn't say anything about it possibly going into limp mode.

Dealer is 90 miles from my location so we plan on going camping next week close to the dealership just in case it happens again before we venture out farther away in it.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abn1SG View Post
Called and talked to the dealer's service department Sprinter advisor and he stated that since the ABS, ESP, and Cruise Control disable lights have all gone away after I turned off and restarted the vehicle, that most likely what happened was a temporary communication issue with the wheel sensors which cause the ABS and ESP lights to come on. Once I turned and started the vehicle again, the module and sensors did a reset and the lights and messages then disappeared.

He recommended to drive the coach around for a while and see if it occurs again, then to bring it in.

He didn't say anything about it possibly going into limp mode.

Dealer is 90 miles from my location so we plan on going camping next week close to the dealership just in case it happens again before we venture out farther away in it.
Sounds right - most temporary problem lights/conditions will clear after the third restart.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #12

Default ABS Warning

I just purchased my 2014 ERA Sprinter it had been sitting for several months when I picked it up and I noticed the ABS warning lights when I was driving it home. My mechanic told me the sensor on one tire was showing 4000 RPM while sitting still. I have also read in this forum that a firm brake can reset and correct the warning.
Ipodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodd View Post
I just purchased my 2014 ERA Sprinter it had been sitting for several months when I picked it up and I noticed the ABS warning lights when I was driving it home. My mechanic told me the sensor on one tire was showing 4000 RPM while sitting still. I have also read in this forum that a firm brake can reset and correct the warning.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #14
Silver Member

Well it happen again, ESP, traction, ABS warning messages and cruise control not functioning. Called service department and got her in. They replaced both rear wheels sensors. When the service advisor informed me that was the issue, I mentioned to him that the wheel sensors were covered under the emission control warranty and he said he didn't think so. Told him it was in the emission control warranty book and he said he would check it out.

When he brought out the Era and gave me the keys, he stated he didn't know it was covered and didn't understand why it was; told him I didn't either but was sure glad it was.

Another example of the value of these forums which gives us the information we need and helps us make sure we don't pay for something we are not suppose to pay for.

Thank you all!😃👍