Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Access the Internet when Traveling

Would like to know individuals who have Verizon DSL when traveling how do they access the Internet, check E-mail if only dial-up is available.

I have been informed in order to access the Internet and E-mail you have to order mobility service from Verizon for an additional charge.

Is there a way out of the additional charge?

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Personally, I use WiFi on my laptop. Most KOA campgrounds have free WiFi. There are lots of other WiFi hotspots around too.

If you can access the Internet, you can get your email from this link:

http://webmail.verizon.net/signin/
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As renrut noted, wifi is widely available now and most probably all major Internet providers have webmail access.

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=762

It's quite possible that you'll have to pay for dial-up in addition to paying for DSL with Verizon - you'll have to contact them to find out for sure. In addition to the fee you might incur long distance charges depending where you are.

If you're going to be traveling for an extended time, you might want to consider replacing your home DSL service with BroadbandAccess or Verizon Wireless NationalAccess plans.

From Verizon's website:

NationalAccess average speed is 60 to 80 Kbps.

BroadbandAccess typical download speeds are 600 Kbps – 1.4 Mbps and typical upload speeds are 500 – 800 Kbps if you have an EV-DO Rev. A-capable device. If you don't, the download speeds are 400 – 700 Kbps and typical upload speeds are 60 – 80 Kbps.

Look at this post from Steve. He uses Sprint. Basically, he only uses mobile internet:

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=#2757

My setup is:

Cable internet at home, wifi on the road and very rarely I'll connect my cell phone via usb to my laptop and access the internet that way. My cell plan has a low monthly data amount so I make sure Windows automatic updating and antivirus auto updating etc. are turned off if I access the web that way.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Verizon dial-up phone numbers:

http://www2.verizon.net/resource_center/dialin.asp

I read on a Verizon forum that it's $9.99 for 20 hours access. I don't know if that is monthly.........
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Gold Member

Default Re: Access the Internet when Traveling

i am totally new to the term wifi and went to a site called wifi.com anyone heard of this ? it says free and theirs a free download does this mean that if you have a pc that somehow you can get free internet service ?? can someone go to this site and let me know for sure what this means and how this site works for sure ? the link is : http://wifi.com/
i am very interested how this site works i checked the location where i would like to use it later on and it had about 6 or 7 places , also how close do you have to be to the wifi spot to pick up the signal ?? do you have to have some thing pluged in to your pc to receive it ??
as i said please check out this paticular site and let me know as i am totally new to wifi and its concept . thanks .
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

wifi.com looks like nothing but a map showing free WiFi spots and it is not all that complete. It looks like some sites are people who have volunteered their own networks that you can access free or otherwise they are not password protected. I checked my hometown and found that the Dunn Bros. Coffee Shop was listed which I already knew about but the public library was not. I can detect WiFi sites with my iPhone. If they are not password protected I can get on them.

All you need to access WiFi with your computer is be WiFi enabled. Every Macintosh computer is sold that way. I don't know about Windows PCs but I would guess most all laptops are now. You shouldn't have to pay for a service for WiFi. ATT and Verizon Wireless cards are for accessing the internet through their 3G networks. You do have to pay a monthly charge for that service. The iPhone can access the internet through ATT's 3G network or through WiFi. With 3G you can be connected anywhere where the phone towers offer it. With WiFi you have to be close by to a service like a library or a coffee shop that has it. If WiFi is password protected you can't get on. A lot of campgrounds now have WiFi service. Some charge for it and some offer it free. Most all I have encountered password protect it free or not to you. With my iPhone I can get WiFi access free at most all McDonalds and Starbucks now. Iowa freeway rest stops all have free WiFi. Panera Bread has it. I've noticed using my iPhone that there are accessible WiFi networks now in just about every retail commercial area.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Gold Member

When traveling if no WIFI available at the campground I head for the local library.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Gold Member

what exactly is it that i would have to have on my pc to receive the wifi and how much does it cost and do you have any links to provide ??thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Platinum Member

There's all kinds of WiFi adapters out there. You can get some that plug into the PCI slots inside your computer and you can also get USB ones. It all depends what you want. A USB one would allow you to use it on any PC you want.

I would look some up for you but I need to enter a Zipcode into Staples, Futureshop and Best Buy to access there sites. I don't know any zipcodes. All I know are Postal Codes.

There are lots of USB Adapters available on Ebay if you're interested. Here is a search of USB WiFi Adapters:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Here is one that is only $13 with free shipping in the US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/54Mbps-USB-Wirel...3A1|240%3A1307

I'm sure you can get these at any local computer/electronics store. Once they are working, all you need is to be near an open WiFi and you can access the internet.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Gold Member

thanks renrut , appreciate the info.