Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Default Add inverter to system

I have an existing Todd TS 30 power switch controlling shore power and gen set. I now want to add an AIMS inverter with internal transfer switch. Where do I connect to the existing transfer switch to access the distribution system in the van? Can I piggy back with the genset input to the TS 30? Thanks for any help. Lakeboy
Lakeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If the inverter is 2000W or less then you probably only need to power one circuit in the van. I picked a circuit in my van that runs the fridge (I power the fridge via the inverter when driving) and a couple of outlets.

Basically you interrupt only that chosen circuit. What previously went into the electrical panel for that single circuit now goes into the transfer switch / inverter. The out wiring from the transfer switch / inverter now goes to the electrical panel replacing the three wires you removed (hot, neutral & ground).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As Marko explained the using of a single circuit for the inverter is quite common, Roadtrks were that way for many years, and some still are made that way.

I think besides the inverter size, you need to look at the capacity of the internal transfer switch in the inverter. We have a 2000 watt Magnum, but it has a 30 amp internal transfer switch, so we were able to make the entire van runnable on the inverter without sacrificing any power when on shore power. Other inverters of 2000 watts might only have 10-15 amp transfer switches in them, so you would not want to do the entire van off of them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Silver Member

I had to think that through a bit. I would; Generator/Shore to main transfer-switch to circuit panel. Then circuit panel to inverter/transfer-switch to load on the inverter. If you are feeding the whole electric system it is a more complicated problem figuring chargers and air con. But main transfer to inverter to panel? Would that be safe? with some way to switch the inverter off?
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
I had to think that through a bit. I would; Generator/Shore to main transfer-switch to circuit panel. Then circuit panel to inverter/transfer-switch to load on the inverter. If you are feeding the whole electric system it is a more complicated problem figuring chargers and air con. But main transfer to inverter to panel? Would that be safe? with some way to switch the inverter off?
What you describe is how ours is currently wired and similar to what Roadtrek did with OEM smaller inverter. The only difference in our is that we no longer have the transfer switch for gen or shore power because we removed the generator. We are wire-shore plug in-power protector-inverter/charger-main panel. There have been some discussions over if you need a breaker at the shore power inlet or after the inverter but before the main panel. IMO the shore power breaker does the function from the shore connection and to the transfer switch for that line. The generator breaker does it for the the from it to the transfer switch. Those same breakers protect the output from the transfer switch to wherever it goes, which would be the inverter/charger in our case, or the main panel if no inverter with a transfer switch. Or it would go to both the main panel and inverter/charger if you are only using the inverter on some some circuits.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote