Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #181
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advancing Alvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Yes, I had to drive 700 miles to Cleveland as there are no dealers.
Well that killed it for me. I'll never go back to Cleveland.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #182
Platinum Member

And miss the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame? Cleveland is actually pretty nice. My wife is from Cleveland but she no longer has any family there. Strategically it is not a problem for us as we make a couple of trips every year to northern Virginia and it is right on our route. Advanced RV warranty problems can be taken care of anywhere anyway at the owner's convenience.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #183
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
Davyyd, you are wrong. You probably added too many duplicate items on the Roadtrek site. If you chose the E-Trek package for the CS Adventerous, then you don't add in the other things from the package that can be added separately. I know for a fact that a Roadtrek built out with all options including delivery to a local dealer is $150,278. I have the quote in my hand. I did not order the optional Armoire that can be interchanged with the 3rd seat as it will not need more storage. And this is the extended chassis model. And yes, they do not have the sliding side screen door available---YET and I did not order optional color schemes because they are not yet released for the extended version. Nor did I order the filing bed that fits across the front seats nor did I order any color than SILVER since that is all they have available in extended chassis until the 2015's arrive later this year. And yes,, Advanced has the optional air ride suspension available which in the future will probably be an aftermarket install by someone. Sure I can't get Silverleaf but it comes with a Sony sound system for the dash radio or the TV: not sure what your "level 2" sound is.

The other important thing to keep in mind, Advanced will not trade in a vehicle, Roadtrek dealers will and they will DISCOUNT the retail price of the Roadtrek. Some dealers will discount upwards to 20% from the retail, depending on how much they want the order, what the deal may be on the trade and if the factory is offering any special discounts for orders.

Also, when the time comes to sell or trade, a Roadtrek is well known in the industry. Mar 2014 Roadtrek had 40.5% market share. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE THE ADVANCED RV. We visited them last fall and would love to have ordered one and was willing to wait. But we were working with a budget and they then were beyond it by $10,000 and now they are probably $25,000 beyond it based on prices I've seen on their web page. Are they worth it? Is there quality and higher price worth the difference? To my wife and I, NO. I don't know what you background in RV's are but I know how much they lose in value and until Advanced has 50-150 units on the street, they will always be an "orphan" in the industry. Last year they could not even attend the Hershey PA RV show since they do not have a dealer network. Direct sale manufacturers are not allowed. I have nothing but best wishes for Mike and Advnaced. He's paving the way for some of the others to follow and hopefully they will.
bikerbill,

Yes, I included the premium paint whether you can get it in a Roadtrek extended van or not at this time because that is what I am getting. That's a $7,000+ item from Roadtrek for my equivalent. That just points out another fact. Mercedes has 22 different paints. Advanced RV gives you access to all 22. Roadtrek doesn't though they seem to offer many more than the the other B converters from one for a LTV Free Spirit to three for an ERA.

I did not include the filler bed option.

Silverleaf is a computer touch interface controller for all systems. It is not on the dash. It's their standard.

Advanced RV uses Pioneer on the dash for radio, sound, GPS and backup camera. As I said I was not arguing the quality of the original equipment like that. The Level 2 system as I understand it is an upgraded 12 speaker system throughout the van. They have a Level 3 which they term is anything you want and one jazz musician was having such installed in a B that was under construction that would astoundingly blow you away. We got to hear it. Again, this just points out the differences and availability. You don't have to adhere to a Rolling Stone limitation of You can't always get what you want.

I don't know of any arrangements for trade in. Never discussed it. I believe you are right that there is no trade in but Mike N has stated they would help in selling. They have advertised client Bs on their website in the past. I don't see this as a problem. I could sell my own B or even go a consignment route with a GWVan dealer I like and trust locally. As for value, all Sprinters sell at a premium. As for orphan, keep in mind defunct Gulfstream Sprinters still sell at a premium. The Sprinters that hold their value best are the Airstream Westfalias of which about 200 were sold in 2005 and 2006. Uniqueness will sell. That too is not a worry. My position is the disposal of my current B does not affect my plans. My current B is a net asset that will get sold.

I haven't established a budget. I haven't discussed price. Yes, I expect sticker shock. But I have been frugal all my life. Never owned a vanity vehicle like a Corvette unless you can call my recent trade down for a Subaru Baja toy pickup truck a vanity. Yes it was. I've owned two Bs now and have established a lot of desires for exactly what I want. At this time Advanced RV is the only converter that can come close to those desires. It is very coincidental that Mike N bought two similar Bs as mine (old Sprinter body Pleasure-way Plateau and new body Great West Van Legend) and those two Sprinters greatly influenced his initial design of which jive with mine a great deal. So the base Advanced RV concepts were there to build on.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #184
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar
Davyyd - Thank you for opening this discussion of pricing on high-end B's. The CS Roadtrek etrek is around $150k msrp, but retail is typically about 15% off that...sometimes up to $20% if one finds the right model on a motivated dealer's lot when new model years are coming in. (2015 Sprinters should start coming to dealers in fall.) As an ARV customer, what has been your experience on their actual price vs their msrp's on the web site?
Belzar,

I don't know the answer to that question. I met several Advanced RV owners at Advanced Fest and Open House and it was never a topic of discussion anymore than asking someone how much money they made. They all had a common objective. They all got exactly what they wanted.

I did request a 2015 Sprinter model and was told to expect a price increase for that decision as well as a slight delay which to me was less critical. It has been said there were no changes forthcoming but then I had heard the chassis lighting would be all LED and if true that I would more than welcome.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #185
Platinum Member

I agree with Davydd on this. If you have the money-then the issue if spending it on a certain item is worth it to you.

Owning an rv no matter what kind is not economical. Not owning at all is the smart money play.

that old saying that 'you can't take it with you' always applies.

As long as you've kept enough money to carry you-at least into your mid 90's why not spend it.

If my wife and i die and have money left my kids are more than welcome to it. I am not going to not spend to give them bigger inheritance.

gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #186
Platinum Member

Davydd: Well...once you get to the point of discussing price, I hope you'll be comfortable letting us know what you learn, at least in general terms. Unlike auto sales there is very little published data on sales prices of RV and in particular class B's. Of course the sellers have perfect knowledge of market prices, which leave buyers in a weaker negotiating position and is the reason dealers resist disclosing real pricing. There is enough info on the internet though to get a pretty solid idea of what RTs actually sell for, since they are the market leader and buyers discuss them all over the place.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #187
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
If my wife and i die and have money left my kids are more than welcome to it. I am not going to not spend to give them bigger inheritance.
A friend of mine was fond of saying that if he died with more than $100 left in his accounts, he would consider that he had mismanaged his finances.

Well I won't go quite that far, but I don't disagree with davydd on his assessment of "value". None of these B rigs could be considered a frugal choice if purchased new. We all decide on what we would like and how far we are willing to drain the pot to obtain it.

I'd love to have a higher end audio system in my rig. Unfortunately, my aged ears can no longer discern the difference, thus providing one opportunity to save some cash!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #188
Gold Member

Quote:
...I haven't established a budget. I haven't discussed price...
There is no judgement in my question. I'm interested in understanding the methodology or reasoning behind going into a project that involves finances without establishing a budget? Or discussing price?

I've never worked with a supplier that was not up front with pricing. It strikes me as a curiosity.

The RV's in our driveway are certainly not investments, but sure are good for the soul

Thom
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #189
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham
I'd love to have a higher end audio system in my rig. Unfortunately, my aged ears can no longer discern the difference, thus providing one opportunity to save some cash!
Interestingly, I had the same thinking initially and then changed my mind and went with Level 2 as ARV calls it. Listening to a stock radio was nearly impossible in the older Sprinters and annoying in the newer Sprinters. Then I replaced my radio in my Great West Van mainly to get an auxiliary jack and USB port and listening got better with the same speakers. I need all the help I can get for audio. I am not hard of hearing but my hearing range has suffered with age. After test driving and listening, not only is the audio better but the quietness with that 100% HushMat addition including on the fire wall made a lot of difference.

The aluminum foil you see is the outside of HushMat, which is a sheet of about 1/8" thick black rubberized mat with foil.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #190
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
Quote:
...I haven't established a budget. I haven't discussed price...
There is no judgement in my question. I'm interested in understanding the methodology or reasoning behind going into a project that involves finances without establishing a budget? Or discussing price?

I've never worked with a supplier that was not up front with pricing. It strikes me as a curiosity.

The RV's in our driveway are certainly not investments, but sure are good for the soul

Thom
It's custom, not an off the shelf commodity item. What can I say? When it is all done I don't think the cost is going to affect my lifestyle. Those cost things will come in time and I have to accept and trust Advanced RV. I'm not exactly frivolous with money. I want to re-side my house with a metal siding to combat the Pileated woodpeckers and the initial bids came in way more than what I wanted to spend, so we are in round 2 on that.

I've challenged Advanced RV to come up with some design items that I haven't covered yet. It looks as if they will have to undergo some considerable research, design and development. Who bears that cost? I don't want to stifle it and I am sure if successful they will have something no one else has in a B they can market and sell, and hopefully get more customers on account of it.

This isn't the first time I've gone through this kind of exercise. 30 years ago I designed and personally built a mortise and tenon, wood pegged heavy timber frame home that in theory is a zero energy home before anyone knew of such a thing.

I wanted an electric radiant heated floor built on a flooring system to my knowledge had never been built before. I challenged a company in Connecticut to come up with the heating system for me along with a lightweight concrete floor supplier. Later they got a lot of mileage marketing the system. I also designed and built non-structural sandwich panel insulated walls and roof before anyone was putting them in homes. That came from my experience designing refrigerated warehouses for the food industry.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #191
Platinum Member

Davydd said:

"I've challenged Advanced RV to come up with some design items that I haven't covered yet."

Mike N. at Advanced RV loves challenges. I can hardly wait to see what you two come up with.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #192
Platinum Member

What do you guys think of this?

http://earthroamer.com

Makes what AdvancedRV is doing look positively cheap in comparison.

Check out this price list for a finished unit they have in stock: http://www.earthroamer.com/preownedp...foandspecs.pdf

I suppose these guys will customize too to a certain extent, but they have their expedition type platform down pretty well. They are coming out with an even bigger platform if you dig thru their site.

Of course this is not a B, but what would you call it - first thoughts it's a C, but not really.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #193
Platinum Member

You are good for Davydd's morale, Wincrasher, showing us all that wonderful F150(or so) based p/up with f/glas RollsRoyce interior for only $470,000 plus dollars. Makes the Alvar project seem a veritable screaming deal for sure -- like, I mean, way too cheap for what he is getting, whatever it turns out to be!!!
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #194
Platinum Member

Thought ya'll would like that. I think the winches and extra lights cost more than my new van.

I almost called my accountant to see if I could swing one when I saw that list. $8k for a motorized couch! Another $2400 if you want leather! Such bargains. I bet that $10k flat screen TV has an amazing picture.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #195
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Thought ya'll would like that. I think the winches and extra lights cost more than my new van.

I almost called my accountant to see if I could swing one when I saw that list. $8k for a motorized couch! Another $2400 if you want leather! Such bargains. I bet that $10k flat screen TV has an amazing picture.

wincrasher

how about these

http://www.tigervehicles.com/
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #196
Platinum Member

I don't need an Earth Roamer. According to this I am in good company with a stealthy looking Advanced RV in graphite grey metallic. You won't know if it is me or George Clooney inside since it now is the ride of the rich and famous.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/sprinter-v ... omization/
Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #197
Platinum Member

Cool.

While tourists are tapping on your windows, trying to get an autograph, I'll be able to while away the hours undisturbed since obviously a poor, out-of-work bum must be inside.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #198
Platinum Member

We are making progress. Our Sprinter is in the Mercedes Benz production schedule and should ship in late September. That is pretty much adhering to the schedule.

Advanced RV sent us a rendering board showing how the finishes will look together. It doesn’t reflect the design changes we are working on and they did get the curtain color wrong but that should be easily corrected. We have something we can show that is a little more understandable.

You have to understand they don’t have set palettes of materials and colors. We selected all these finishes and combined them. It’s all on us. It helps to have them all in context this way.

Once we settle on the materials we will increase the deposit. From that point on it is a go.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #199
Platinum Member

Speaking of stealth, here is an Advanced RV video of a customer with a stealthy B who parked on the Chelsea District streets of New York City for three days and slept in his van.

[youtube]
Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #200
Platinum Member

Davydd,
I have also considered upgrading to lithium batteries until I found the issue of using those currently available in freezing temperature. How do you plan to deal with that issue in Minnesota?

- - Mike