Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Advice needed - Insurance while living in an RV

A forum member sent me this in an email:

Quote:
I'm new at RVing and am located in an RV park; I drive my car to work & have to live in my self contained camper van for awhile due to financial constraints. I'd like to know if I must carry full auto insurance even though I do not drive my camper-van anywhere. ? What if someone backs into me causing damage? I have to cut costs to the bone & thank you for your assistance.
The answers to your questions will vary depending on where you live.

Some things to check: (based on where I live)

1. Do the campground rules require that you have current "on the road" insurance? Are they allowed to have your RV towed to an impound lot if you don't?

2. Does your insurance policy allow you to live in your RV? Can they void coverage if they find out you are living in your RV? Can you add a rider that permits you to live in your RV?

Where I live, I can purchase a "vehicle in storage policy". I buy it for the winter months. It is very inexpensive. You can purchase all perils coverage, even liability coverage, but the policy will not cover any RV that is used as living accommodation at any time.

Does anyone here have any advice for this forum member? Let's hear it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Silver Member

Wierd timing for this subject.. I have a house about 130miles from where I work..

Up to now, it's been a great araingement between my girlfriend and I, staying at her place during the week (1 mile commute to work!) and only making the 260mi. round trip back home on the weekends.

Well, she's moving her elderly mother in in a few months, so I'm looking at the same situation as the other poster. ..kinda..

I'm considering "Stealth Van Dwelling" -Living in my B quietly parked in an industrial park, using it to sleep in at night, and my gym membership for showers, etc. Wag Bags for ..you know.. No rent, and on the Q.T..

Searching around, I found a great article about this, worth reading..

http://www.vandweller.org/everythingiknow.htm

I carry full-time basic bare-minimum insurance, and wonder about the coverage too in my situation.

Chip
Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Your best bet will be to discuss it with an insurance agent. They will know what laws pertain to the situation in your area.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I agree with Julie on this one. Your insurance company would know best but be sure to check a few. Some will say you have to be insured just to get your business.

When I lived on the East Coast, my RV was covered under my house insurance when it was stored on my property. When I moved to the Prairies, it had to have full insurance on it even though it was being stored. I haven't looked into where I'm living now but hope it's covered under my house insurance. It won't pass a safety so I can't get it licensed and on the road right now.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Advice needed - Insurance while living in an RV

Is the member Canadian? You might want to check with the Insurance Bureau of Canada. They have a contact us online at their website www.ibc.ca . They're not an insurance company themselves but are made up of member insurers. So, you might get a less patronizing answer from them. Just ask them your question. I've asked them for help with homeowner's insurance questions, and got good info which helped me to make decisions with the actual insurer.

Hope this helps,
Mike.