Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Advise - Bought a New Coach!

We bought a new Pleasure Way Lexor, which after much consideration we feel is the best fit for us. To get the specific options we wanted we bought out of state.

We are NEW to RVing. We are driving 1200 miles with a one-way car rental so that we can take whatever we need/want for the Coach trip home (or where ever we roam).

Would someone mind telling us what the Coach necessities will be for the trip home?

Thank you!

Connie
B2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Mainly bedding and tools. Don't forget a volt-ohm meter, tire pressure gauge to 80psi, and a refrigerator temperature monitor would be nice along with a fresh water hose.

Most coaches don't come with an adequate jack if you intend to be able to change your own tire. You can probably get away without that for awhile.

Like the salesman said to the new owner as he left the lot. "Are you a mechanic?" No. "You will be."

Many recommend staying your first night near the dealer so you can solve problems the next day.

Unlike cars most RVs don't leave the lot with everything working properly. Expect it. Who knows how good your dealer is.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Play View Post
We bought a new Pleasure Way Lexor, which after much consideration we feel is the best fit for us. To get the specific options we wanted we bought out of state.

We are NEW to RVing. We are driving 1200 miles with a one-way car rental so that we can take whatever we need/want for the Coach trip home (or where ever we roam).

Would someone mind telling us what the Coach necessities will be for the trip home?

Thank you!

Connie

Don't bother carrying too much on your way out.
You will be stopping a lot at Walmarts, Targets, etc.,
(For food, drink, and supplies.)

Check out these Apps; they will come in handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Apps.jpg (105.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Assuming it has a propane fridge you should have a bubble level, phone or iPad app to do the same. Remember the bottom of the freezer is what needs to be level. Not the floor, not the counter.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Congratulations!

Here out west there are a lot of places without internet or cell coverage. Be sure you have all of your instructions for the various systems either downloaded or hard copy before you take off from the dealer.

Don't be afraid to make the salesperson demonstrate each and every system and then watch while you do it. Many will act like "I just showed you," but the number of things you have to know are going to make it hard to get a handle on everything at once. Video if you can. Be sure you understand everything before you leave. And I agree you should stay nearby for your first night so you can go back with any questions.

Carry bottled water and don't drink from the fresh water tank until you've had a chance to make sure it's completely de-winterized and sanitized.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks you everyone for the tips and suggestions. I am wondering if we need to get a surge protector for the coach and water filter before we leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post

Mainly bedding and tools. Don't forget a volt-ohm meter, tire pressure gauge to 80psi, and a refrigerator temperature monitor would be nice along with a fresh water hose.

Most coaches don't come with an adequate jack if you intend to be able to change your own tire. You can probably get away without that for awhile.

Like the salesman said to the new owner as he left the lot. "Are you a mechanic?" No. "You will be."
Thanks for the tips!

We just upgraded our AAA to RV service, and will have no spare for now at least.

As for the mechanics, Lol, we've got that covered. Hubby is a chief marine engineer and I was a marine oiler. Hopefully we can keep her rolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Check out these Apps; they will come in handy.
Wow, thank you for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Assuming it has a propane fridge you should have a bubble level, phone or iPad app to do the same. Remember the bottom of the freezer is what needs to be level. Not the floor, not the counter.
Yes, three-way fridge. I do have an iphone, so we’ll hope that will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Congratulations!

Here out west there are a lot of places without internet or cell coverage. Be sure you have all of your instructions for the various systems either downloaded or hard copy before you take off from the dealer.

Don't be afraid to make the salesperson demonstrate each and every system and then watch while you do it. Many will act like "I just showed you," but the number of things you have to know are going to make it hard to get a handle on everything at once. Video if you can. Be sure you understand everything before you leave. And I agree you should stay nearby for your first night so you can go back with any questions.

Carry bottled water and don't drink from the fresh water tank until you've had a chance to make sure it's completely de-winterized and sanitized.
Thanks so much for those tips, we will be videoing. Great tip on downloading manuals!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Don't handover payment until everything has been shown to work. Take a test drive also to make sure it runs and handles properly, and all vehicle features work.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Don't handover payment until everything has been shown to work. Take a test drive also to make sure it runs and handles properly, and all vehicle features work.
Yes! Thank you. We've got a cashier's check tightly in hand and won't turn loose until we're happy.

So far we've been treated very well.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I recommend a hard wired surge protector. This is the one I will have installed in my rig and have had it in previous rigs. Talk to your dealer about their installing it... or if you feel competent to do it yourself, you might order one and do it when you get there. You will want the one with the remote reader.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

There are goods and bads about a one-way car rental.

Good -- you will familiarize yourself with the route and road conditions.

Bad -- you will be tired by the time you get there, and you still have to drive back.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

This map app is useful: https://wego.here.com/

You can use this map in both on-line and off-line mode.

You can download the actual maps into the phone/tablet,
so that when you encounter a location where there is no cell signal,
you will still know where you are going.

The map size is small. A lot smaller than the google map downloads; it does not take up much room in your phone/tablet.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Bronze Member

The attached photo of a surge protector that gave its all to protect a coach from a lightning-induced spike convinces me that I for one don't want a hard-wired unit. Imagine that destruction occurring inside your coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I recommend a hard wired surge protector....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surge.jpg (29.0 KB, 33 views)
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
The attached photo of a surge protector that gave its all to protect a coach from a lightning-induced spike convinces me that I for one don't want a hard-wired unit. Imagine that destruction occurring inside your coach.
There are plenty of UL-approved surge suppressors that are routinely installed inside of homes. They are perfectly safe.

I don't know what the story behind that picture is, but I recommend not taking it at face value. This simply wouldn't occur in the normal operation of a surge suppressor. If it is real, then it was almost certainly the result of a direct lightning hit. This could not happen inside your mobile faraday cage.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #14
Site Team

So, out of curiosity, I did a Google image search for that picture. The results were, um, interesting. There were four direct hits:

In this one:
http://carunderstanding.com/best-rv-surge-protector/
The image is portrayed as the result of "Powering a device with less amperage than necessary" (whatever that means).

This one:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...r-22810-2.html
says that the unit was itself hit by lightening (this is most likely true, but who knows?).

This one:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...e-15440-3.html
Is very similar to @lmittell's post.

Finally, this one:
Electrical Safety Checks | Electrician Burton and Derby
calls it a "burnt out transformer" and claims that it was found inside somebody's house and that it still works (but recommends against using it).

Gotta love the Internet.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
There are plenty of UL-approved surge suppressors that are routinely installed inside of homes. They are perfectly safe.

I don't know what the story behind that picture is, but I recommend not taking it at face value. This simply wouldn't occur in the normal operation of a surge suppressor. If it is real, then it was almost certainly the result of a direct lightning hit. This could not happen inside your mobile faraday cage.
I put my long-disused engineering hat on for a couple of seconds and had to agree with your assessment. That unit must have suffered a direct lightning strike.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You may find that you can stay right on the dealer's lot overnight if you wish - often they have hookups for that purpose or can at least fill up yourater and give you electric.

That way, after you orientation when they spend a couple of hours explaining things to you, you can try as much as possible overnight and ask for any clarification you may need in teh am before you leave.

You may also find some issues and get them fixed before you leave!

We did exactly that ten years ago when we bought our Airstream trailer and plan to do teh same again when we (hopefully) get our PW Plateau FL in September!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
Bronze Member

All the suggestions are great. You might consider some leveling blocks, either home made or bought at Walmart or other RVstore, since your fridge is absorption.
Gary Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Toilet paper.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #19

Yes— Do get a cheap water filter ($20-$25) from the get-go. Even if you will be buying drinking water, you don’t want to have nasty water in your tank.
baritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default Plan to stay the night or longer!

I see somebody else mentioned planning to spend the night so you can have the dealer help you work through any issues. Our experience was that the vehicle wasn’t ready at all and it took them an additional week to get it ready. Even though we were in communication with them then the entire time Prior to arriving – they hadn’t even begun to work on it. We even talk to them the night before and the morning of – and imagine our surprise when we got there and nothing was ready. Including a cracked shower wall and a filthy van. Since we are NOT retired we had to leave it there and come back – but it would’ve taken them at least two days to get it ready. So plan for that. You also might want to plan to stay in a hotel or two on the way back – until you get used to everything in the camper van.
Djette1 is offline   Reply With Quote