Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Airstream Interstate Issues

We continue to have multiple problems with our 2015Airstream Interstate Ext Lounge.

Mercedez Benz component is not a problem.

The USAdventure RV dealership in Naperville has been great. Unfortunately we have needed their services far too often to constantly fix multiple non-maintenance issues with our Interstate as listed below.

Please note the following multiple repair issues which have led to a significant interference with our ability to use this vehicle.

Leaks - in the back top lounge cabinet (related to awning.
Leaks - leak from faulty hose fastener behind bathroom
Leaks - current defective black tank vent from overly tightened screws
Defective propane switch - needed replacing
Defective propane gauge
Tank heater pads fall off (x2)
Significant squeaking between bathroom and rear seat - major defect causing multiple interstates to need repair
Electric wiring falls down from awning strut
Awning now with jerky opening in spite of our following the necessary instructions
Toilet paper cover does not protect water from coming in to the holder well.
Bathroom fan failure
Rear canopy hook (behind the lounge sofa) has very weak breakable hooks.

It is unfortunate since the Airstream legend with their trailers has been a good one, not so much for the Interstate.

Please share any experiences especially from other brands like Roadtrek.
tnicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like things haven't improved any since our former 2005 Interstate was built. That saddens me for the reasons you state.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

LOL. You are talking about a nearly 3 year old van. Components fail and caulking/sealing needs to be maintained. These all sound like easy fixes if you had a half-way competent dealer.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. You are talking about a nearly 3 year old van. Components fail and caulking/sealing needs to be maintained. These all sound like easy fixes if you had a half-way competent dealer.
Actually most of what you see happened in the first year. Dealer was very competent in fixing things. Mostly what occurred were manufacturing defects. We just don't appreciate 100 hours of driving back and forth besides the usual maintenance. We are going to the Hershey Pennsylvania RV show in September to see what is available. We checked with the RoadTrek forums and not seeing a 'lemon law' section that we see in the Air Forum website. Enjoy your 4th.
tnicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Respectfully, there is no way that kind of thing should be happening after even 3 years (much less 1) on a rig in the Interstate's price range. Their fit and finish has been crap from the beginning (as I can attest first hand). Don't blame the victim.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You should know better Avanti that price is not indicative of quality. It rarely is, as these pages attest.

Tnicola - to think that Roadtreks are just dandy because they don't have a lemon law section on a forum. Hahahahaha! Please do some reading on this forum and the Facebook groups. They all have their issues. Even ARV's at $200-300k have issues. It's more of a matter of how the manufacturer stands behind the product that is what differentiates the brands.

My Travatos have been problem free, but others report leaks and other niggling issues that are annoying, but not serious. Squeeks and rattles are pretty much the way they all are, regardless of price. Most of the time, it's all your junk in the cabinets that is making all the noises. I fixed a few in my van, and just ignore others. There is no way to quiet down tamber doors, sadly.

If your dealer was any good, you'd not have spent 100's of hours chasing down these issues. Sadly, it's up to owners to pester these guys and demand service until you are satisfied. Often it's just a game to get you so frustrated you either go elsewhere, give up or pay for your own repairs. I certainly feel your pain on that one. Often these guys are good at portraying themselves as good guys and the manufacturer as the one causing problems - often that is a ruse you have to try and see thru. Are they dragging out the fixes to increase their revenues at your expense? Good luck with the rest, as you are probably on your own paying for repairs at this point, unless you decide to trade and roll the dice on a new rig. Sometimes the devil you know is a better choice..
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The least expensive and the best reliability wise quality can be achieved by in situ process control throughout product development, from a concept, design, through manufacturing. If issues need to be resolved at the end of manufacturing line the cost goes up, if at the dealer it continues to go up, if at the customer it becomes very expensive for the company from the actual cost of sales perspective to a potential loss of sales.

To get to that point an educated work force needs to be develop, overall work environment needs to be designed to keep folks from seeking outside jobs. But, it needs to start with management, as long they don’t see the value of an imbedded process control it will not happen, cheap staples will prevail.

I often get the answer to my point, yes George, but this is not car manufacturing, why not, some folks do. My Honda is 2 years old, the biggest issues I have are: - if prompted it needs an oil change and a wash.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It really helps to be pretty handy at least with minor repairs and maintenance issues with all these vehicles. In fact, it should also be a requirement or there is going to be quite a bit of frustration. I would hate to own any Class B if I had to go to the dealer for virtually everything. It probably won't get any better as the vehicle ages.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ouch. If I had that many problems, or even a fraction of them, I'd be hopping mad. I guess that's why I made my own.

As long as customers are willing to accept low quality, they will get it.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

I bought a new 2017 Airstream Interstate and have enjoyed the rig, yet have had a number of issues:

1) electrical night and sun shades not functioning well, as it relates to the electronic key pad that operates them. Also they get off track, and now require two shade motors to be replaced - big pain

2) Malfunctioning automatic step.

3) Many many rattles. Solved some as they had failed to install simple cupboard rubber nods like all kitchen cabinets have. Also the shades when fully up for travel make a racket over bumps.

I am dealing with these problems, however at the price of the rig I am surprised at the two trips to the rv dealer for repair. Also our dealer in Canada seems to suggest how difficult it is getting some parts from Airstream in a timely fashion.
Brownstoneprez1 is offline   Reply With Quote