Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsy View Post
Good point... Mumkin had suggested that in another thread. So it's not necessarily a problematic company to purchase from if you take out the major source of problems?? People don't seem to care all that much for RT/Hymer and I guess in my head it went beyond the batteries and VS.

Eliminating those from an order descreases cost quite a bit as well as sales tax so that would be welcome as I had started out thinking about a TT, and find myself in B world... bring your checkbook, $$$$
They did have quite a few general quality issues at the Hymer rollout, as they appeared to be rushing out a lot of models before they were ready. No personal experience here, but most seem to now be saying the general, fit and finish, type stuff is much better currently. The lithium/voltstart stuff was what really got to a lot of folks, as they were not really able to fix them correctly, and they still have very large parasitic (self) drain on the lithium battery packs, it appears.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #22
jon
Platinum Member

Oh no! Not the TT. My wife brought that up at the RV show. For me, I love driving my van wherever I go. It's our 2nd car so I drive it everywhere that doesn't have damn parking garages. It's especially great for day trips and long drives. The family has a kitchen and bathroom so I can drive as long as I want without stopping at every rest area.

The fact is that we don't have a lot of time for RVing I keep telling my self that after we actually retire and the daughter goes to college we'll have time to RV but I think we will use our van like it's current use. We seem to take a lot of road trips and it's nice to pull into a rest area and have a place to actually rest/sleep or cook a meal.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #23
Gold Member

what you mention is why i let go of the TT... would likely only use it for longer trips and my life (right now) doesn't allow for extended long trips. The one or two day road trip seems to give me that feeling like I got away, saw something, did something. I think the B class makes that easiest. I'm in negotiations with a dealer on the Aktiv 2.0. Just asked for price minus the lithium batteries and volt start. I love the layout in that RV. I don't think I'm going to find anything that will serve my needs better.
indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I've heard ARV is now willing to do a short Sprinter and one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles that prove so costly. I know one person that is talking with them about doing something similar to the Revel.

I'm very interested in how that project would progress.

I imagine, then the new Sprinter comes out, and they have a gas chassis offering, you could get a conversion built on that, as the box will be dimensionally the same as the diesel.

Exciting times ahead!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I've heard ARV is now willing to do a short Sprinter and one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles that prove so costly. I know one person that is talking with them about doing something similar to the Revel.

I'm very interested in how that project would progress.

I imagine, then the new Sprinter comes out, and they have a gas chassis offering, you could get a conversion built on that, as the box will be dimensionally the same as the diesel.

Exciting times ahead!
I thought I had read someplace that North American Sprinters were to remain diesel - could be wrong.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I thought I had read someplace that North American Sprinters were to remain diesel - could be wrong.

Brian.

The Sprinters will have diesel and gas options.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 AM   #27
Silver Member

If you like the Hymer Active 2.0 but it feels cramped, take an in-person look at that model with the front facing power couch option. It really opens it up. It's the same couch option offered in the Roadtrek Zion. You lose some inside storage but gain a little back under the couch from the rear doors.

Quote:
BBQ,

Just wondering - have you seen an Aktiv first hand yet?

I am compiling a short list of "B"s to consider and I had the Aktiv quite high on my list based on brochures - and especially from watching the "Russo's" youtube videos.

On Thursday however we had the chance at the Toronto RV show to go into an Aktiv 2.0 as well as a couple of other makes on the same Promaster
chassis (RT Zion and PW Lexor)

Of the three, the Aktiv seemed really claustrophobic inside, especially with its extremely narrow aisle that requires even small folk like us to walk sideways!

My "Better half" was dead set against it - and I more or less reluctantly had to agree - as much as I liked the concept of front dinette, I think that we will have to drop the Aktiv from our short list.

We were both really taken by the Lexor, and so far that is our preferred choice.

However I still want to look at a Travato 59k as well as a couple of the Roadtreks, Adventurous, 190, and 210. and also the Pleasureway Plateau FL.

With our driveway limitations we cannot go above about 23 ft - but anyway my feeling is that the more you go above that length, although the extra space may be nice, you are starting to reduce parking and manoeuvering convenience.

Brian
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
If you like the Hymer Active 2.0 but it feels cramped, take an in-person look at that model with the front facing power couch option. It really opens it up. It's the same couch option offered in the Roadtrek Zion. You lose some inside storage but gain a little back under the couch from the rear doors.
I did see the Aktiv 2.0 with rear sofa and felt it was just too cramped inside for us. The Pleasureway Lexor TS was much more the type of layour we want - and I believe the Lexor FL which is just now coming our would suit us even more.

Still want to see the WBGO Travato 59K that seems to have a very open look to it, as well as maybe some of the longer Sprinter models, although the more I read here, I am getting a bit turned off on MB!

Thanks .......... Brian.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did see the Aktiv 2.0 with rear sofa and felt it was just too cramped inside for us. The Pleasureway Lexor TS was much more the type of layour we want - and I believe the Lexor FL which is just now coming our would suit us even more.

Still want to see the WBGO Travato 59K that seems to have a very open look to it, as well as maybe some of the longer Sprinter models, although the more I read here, I am getting a bit turned off on MB!

Thanks .......... Brian.
Depending where you are in Ontario, the dealer in London has several Class B's including the Travato 59K
Old 01-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
Depending where you are in Ontario, the dealer in London has several Class B's including the Travato 59K
Hi Cruisefx

Yes, I exchanged emails with Gary at Forest City Motorhomes in London a month or so back and I regularly monitr their inventory on their website.

After our usual upcoming "Snowbird" trip to Florida with our trailer, I plan to go visit them as well as CanAm RV nearby who sell Airstream and Pleasure Way class B's.

CanAm don't seem to stock many - and the Airstream models are too long for us anyway, but Forest City seem to have a lot in stock - plus they would take our present Airstream trailer and truck in trade (although we didn't get as far as discussing what they would offer, I could get a rude awakening!)

Cheers .... Brian, Burlington Ont.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I also felt the mid cabin bathroom made the aktiv feel cramped. The Travato 59G is a very similar layout with the bath in the rear. I just wish it wasn't on the extended chassis.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 AM   #32
Silver Member

Yes, the Lexor TS/FL looks VERY nice but a little too formal for my tastes. For 2019, WBGO has some significant new standard equipment and options available for the Travato. In my opinion, the 59k has the most open, spacious feel of the bunch, even more so than most of the larger 24' Sprinter B vans. The 59k is probably the most practical coach out there with its more outdoorsy setup.

Quote:

Thanks .......... Brian.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:57 AM   #33
Silver Member

The 59G felt more cramped to me than the Aktiv 2.0 with the rear couch option. The 59G has that cabinetry and refrigerator in the spot where the bath is on the Aktiv, while the 59G has less windows on the passenger side and that big bathroom in the rear, choking off the sight-lines in the kitchen and bedroom areas.

They both pack a lot of content into a small space. Probably good for a single traveler or two smaller sized adults, though I'm partial to the Travato 59K or the Roadtrek Zion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I also felt the mid cabin bathroom made the aktiv feel cramped. The Travato 59G is a very similar layout with the bath in the rear. I just wish it wasn't on the extended chassis.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 AM   #34
BBQ
Platinum Member

FYI, the 2019 Winnebago 59G will have a galley window
on the passenger side of the RV.

It will also have a 2 door compressor fridge/freezer, 200w of solar, and a 1,000 watt inverter.

The 2019 are in production right now.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 AM   #35
Silver Member

It's about time... The 59G has needed that galley window since 2014, when it was first introduced!

The other 2019 improvements you mentioned are timely on both Travato floorplans, given the increasing competition in the marketplace. There are also new interior colors and the optional availability of those neat dual-pane European acrylic windows, just to name a few.

My next RV will probably be the 59K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

It will also have a 2 door compressor fridge/freezer, 200w of solar, and a 1,000 watt inverter.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:

wow, the 59G is finally getting so much needed improvements. The midyear 2017 upgrades were welcome, these just add to it. While it may not be for everyone, I really like the layout of the 59G and these added improvements only make it better. Hats off to Winnebago for listening to their owners.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 AM   #37
Silver Member

Many thanks to all for the responses on this thread. (The email notifications were getting lost so I didn't realize anyone was responding until now!)

Early in the thread, someone asked what I liked and didn't like about the Aktiv that caused me to ask the question. Well, what I like is that it is literally the only production camper van I have found that meets all of my must-have criteria: 20 feet length or less, a compressor fridge (rather than absorption, ugh), and a bed that I can leave permanently made rather than having to tear it down each day in order to eat or work at the table.

When I asked the question, the main thing I didn't like about it was the propane system. I was thinking it would be better to get a diesel engine with an Alde heat system and an induction stove, thereby having one less fuel ecosystem to deal with. Since then, I've been reading about the horror stories of diesel engine maintenance and I'm not so sure. Those stories have been about Sprinters primarily, and I'd be looking at a Promaster (need the wider body to sleep east-west). But the Promaster's diesel might well have similar issues — and I find so little written about it that it seems like it must not be very popular.

Another concern with the Aktiv is the cassette toilet; I'm not sure whether it's a pro or a con. I'm already likely to need to find a dump station to dump the gray tank; it seems like it would be nicer to have a black tank to dump as part of the same operation rather than needing to do something entirely different. OTOH, in cold weather presumably the cassette is indoors enough that it doesn't freeze when the black tank would. Not something I know much about, really.

My 20 foot length limit is a real killer; it cuts off way too many options (e.g. Travato looks nice). But that's how long my driveway is...
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 AM   #38
BBQ
Platinum Member

Forget about a diesel ProMaster. Chrysler has not made one for more than a year. The production was pulled in 2016, and the whole 2017 model year was canceled.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #39
Silver Member

Quote:
Forget about a diesel ProMaster. Chrysler has not made one for more than a year. The production was pulled in 2016, and the whole 2017 model year was canceled.
Well, that would certainly explain why I don't see much discussion of it!
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
Many thanks to all for the responses on this thread. (The email notifications were getting lost so I didn't realize anyone was responding until now!)

Early in the thread, someone asked what I liked and didn't like about the Aktiv that caused me to ask the question. Well, what I like is that it is literally the only production camper van I have found that meets all of my must-have criteria: 20 feet length or less, a compressor fridge (rather than absorption, ugh), and a bed that I can leave permanently made rather than having to tear it down each day in order to eat or work at the table.
The Winnebago Revel meets all your must have criteria. Also no propane. But it is a Sprinter with a cassette toilet......
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote