Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #21
Silver Member

Addressing the chassis return negative. I use the chassis as part of the house negative as well as cables to heavy use devices. I sand the metal to clean and shinny steel. I use electrical solder to plate the steel with tin. My cable is then fastened to this point. For two i used self tapping bolt with a star washer. Another I was able to put a bolt through an existing hole with a nut behind. But the tinned terminal lugs against the tin plated steel has un-measureable voltage drop at 250 amps measured.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
Addressing the chassis return negative. I use the chassis as part of the house negative as well as cables to heavy use devices. I sand the metal to clean and shinny steel. I use electrical solder to plate the steel with tin. My cable is then fastened to this point. For two i used self tapping bolt with a star washer. Another I was able to put a bolt through an existing hole with a nut behind. But the tinned terminal lugs against the tin plated steel has un-measureable voltage drop at 250 amps measured.
How do you get the chassis location hot enough to tin it?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #23
Site Team

The problem with using wires for return is that if the devices in question also contact the chassis (and most do), you are creating ground loops, which tend to create electrical RF noise. Bad for audio systems. Doesn't matter much for short distances such as engine-to-chassis bonding, but running a separate ground wire is not best practice for long distances. The chassis itself has huge ampacity anyway, so it is best to just use it.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote