Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Am I on 'shrooms here?

When I rented a "C" just to test it out in locations I'd be going, I seemed to notice the ride is more fatiguing than what I encountered with a Sprinter or Chevy van when I rented one last year. Not uncomfortable, but just more fatiguing, where it would definitely require more overnight stops on a long trip than with a van.

It wasn't that the "C" was bad to drive... but just seemed to take more time/effort than a van. Is this just me, or is this something universal?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Am I on 'shrooms here?

What Chassis was it on? Different size than last year?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The "C" I rented was a fairly late (2012-2013) chassis Sprinter, and the "B" I rented a year or two ago was the same vintage.

One place where it showed was on I-45 and 130. It wasn't a white-knuckle ride, but the "C" did require a firmer hand than the "B" on the windy Texas highways.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If i was getting a c i would get a forest river Sunseeker 2300 on chevy chassis(4500) and all it's options. best value for the money. it is however 25 feet long and 101 iches wide.hey it's a C
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

As much as I am not a big Sprinter fan, I think if I were to look at a C, it would be one of the offerings from Leisure. They appear to be very well done.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It's the width. It's just more fatiguing to constantly be scanning to make sure you are in your lane. That and fighting the crosswinds and passing semi's. If I ever have to go back to one of those type RV's, I'll probably just hang it up.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a couple of B friends who moved up from Class B to Class Cs and are now back down to Class Bs. One will pop in here sooner or later and can you give first hand experience in regard to the differences in a Sprinter Class C vs a Sprinter Class B. I don't know if it would be totally fair to compare, say, a Ford Class C to a Chevy Class B or any other cross brand. Not all Class Bs are a piece of cake either from some brand and model complaints that seem rather recurring. All I know are Sprinters and I have been very happy. I've driven a couple of U-Haul trucks extremely long distances (Florida and Michigan to Minnesota) and didn't care for the experience at all. Those two U-Haul experiences and looking at similar size Class Cs was enough to dissuade my wife from ever considering one. Her emphatic reaction and first words when we first looked at a Winnebago View 10 years ago was, "We would have to tow a car!" That narrowed our RV shopping considerably. We weren't going to tow anything. We were getting rid of an Airstream trailer for that very reason.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I have a couple of B friends who moved up from Class B to Class Cs and are now back down to Class Bs.
Don't you mean "moved down from a Class B to Class Cs..."?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
I have a couple of B friends who moved up from Class B to Class Cs and are now back down to Class Bs.
Don't you mean "moved down from a Class B to Class Cs..."?
I was thinking in context of size when I typed that.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Know how you feel. I used own a 33' A a few years back. At a RV this spring I sat in the driver's seat of a A and did not like it.

I'm wondering how the small C's like the Winnebago Trend or Pleasure Way Prestige drive?
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
I have a couple of B friends who moved up from Class B to Class Cs and are now back down to Class Bs. One will pop in here sooner or later and can you give first hand experience in regard to the differences in a Sprinter Class C vs a Sprinter Class B.
That's me. Yes the "B" feels like a sports car in comparison to the "C" we had. Also less wind issues for sure. Parking much easier too.

I can also comment on the difference between a Ford chassis class C vs a Chevy chassis class C. Driven both, although it's been about 8 years or so, but they are still the same chassis as then.
Well the Chevy definitely drives and rides better, has a roomier cab too, but this is well known out there in RV land.

I can second hand comment on the ProMaster class C Viva/Trend twins. A mutual friend of ours and Davydd's has driven one on the highway. His initial comment was plenty of power around town and drove real well, but in possible emergency maneuvers, scary rock & roll with very soft and mushy rear suspension

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I would imagine that owners of Viva/Trends could improved the handling quite a bit if they installed Timbrens, or Airbags or tried to find a duals kit. Or maybe replacement rear wheels with more offset and wider tires to get more track width.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I wondered about that. The ProMaster's wheel spacing on the cutaways is pretty narrow, especially compared to an E-450, and with the lower weight capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if a Trend or similar might do something unexpected on the highway if an emergency cropped up.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 AM   #14
Lou
Platinum Member

Before we had our class C, I had only driven cars. Even after years of experience I still felt that it was like driving an elephant. Lumbering would be the best word. The way the wind caught it was also scary. Our class B is much easier to handle.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'm trying to decided if i want to go with a B or the slightly larger C-/B+. The Bs have all the drivability, parking including in you home driveway but lack on space. The larger TVs like the Trend or even the View have some what less drivability and can't park in my driveway long term (in my neighborhood). Also parking is harder but they have additional space. It will be me and an 85 pound dog so can we survive in one of the Bs for a few months at a time.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #16
Bronze Member

There are people who live full time in Class Bs. If you're on Facebook I suggest you join and pose this question to one of these FB groups:

Roadtrek
Class B RV Enthusiasts
Roadtreking: The Group
Sprinter Roadtrekers
"B"ing in an Advanced RV

Lots of great info in the first 4 groups - I'm not sure how active the last one is.
bkroczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Bronze Member

There are probably Class "C" groups also - I'm just not involved with them.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroczak
There are people who live full time in Class Bs. If you're on Facebook I suggest you join and pose this question to one of these FB groups:

Roadtrek
Class B RV Enthusiasts
Roadtreking: The Group
Sprinter Roadtrekers
"B"ing in an Advanced RV

Lots of great info in the first 4 groups - I'm not sure how active the last one is.
"B"ing in an Advanced RV is a group that was set up by Advanced RV and is mostly postings by owners of Advanced RVs. Those other groups are Roadtrek dominated. You can probably find your B model group on Facebook. Pleasure-way has a very active group.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #19
Bronze Member

I'm not sure about PleasureWay. I think one of them is a Closed group available to owners only...Roadtrek doesn't have closed groups...
Old 04-24-2015, 03:11 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Thanks I joined the Class B Enthusist group on FB. Had to laugh as there is always one in the crowd who objected to B+/C-s being discussed in one post. He announced to everyone he was leaving and everyone said don't let the door hit you on the way out

I did look at the Trend, View and the Travato today. I wish they had put some thought into making the seating areas comfortable. They feel and look like some amateur built the seats in a garage.