Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Default Another (hopefully) soon to be newbie :)

Hi,

I have been following this forum as well as the Roadtrek list and several Class B blogs for about a year now and I am (finally!) currently looking at several older model RT's (I just like the lay-out of the Roadtrek); it's looking like I might end up getting a '91 (it's either a Versatile with shower or an Independent); it is located in N Michigan and has a little bit of surface rust; is that a deal breaker or is it something that can be fixed? If I decide that I really like it (from pics and from having a friend check it out, as I am across the country), what would be the next step? Would I call around and find a local RV mechanic to do an inspection so that I know exactly what I am getting myself into? The price is low enough that I am expecting to put some work into it, I'm just hoping to not have to do a lot of major work from the start. Thanks for any and all advice regarding this or anything else regarding buying older ('86 to '92?) RT's.

Terry
Oboeterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Another (hopefully) soon to be newbie :)

It is a great idea to get a mechanic to inspect it. I've read of other people doing the same from a distance.

A 1991 model is 20 years old now...... It will probably need something.

Rust is a warning. I took a chance and got on a plane to go and buy a 1997 GMC camper van but the seller assured me that there was no rust. None. I had a list of questions etc. written down and he answered them all. I did not arrange a mechanical inspection but the unit had just passed an annual safety inspection and it only had 64,000kms (40,000 miles). I'm happy with it.

In contrast, my 1998 Dodge, the body is good enough but even though it had been rust checked (oil coating) regularly by the seller the underneath has a lot of rust. I going to lose $$$ when I sell it after owning it less than 2 years. A mechanic probably would have spotted the problems I didn't.

You are at a disadvantage when you travel to buy an RV as you are most likely going to purchase it when you have already spent a few hundred just getting there.

'86 to '92 is older than what I'm familiar with. I don't know what your budget is. When I was looking this past spring a 1994 Coach House or Coachmen (can't remember exactly) sold for $12,000 and a 2003 Roadtrek sold for $25,000. The '94 needed work on the air conditioner and the generator but had just gotten new ball joints and brakes.

I had to replace the water heater on my 1997 - a $500 repair.

If you have someone who can look at it and send you lots of photos of the body and frame underneath that will help you decide if you are still interested and then get a mechanic to inspect.

Hopefully a few others here will have some advice for you.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Another (hopefully) soon to be newbie :)

My advice is to listen to markopolo.
The tough part as he said is the distance to get there to see it, and possibly be really disappointed.
Do you know/trust anyone near the potential purchase/van that could have a first look for you?