Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Another new Pleasure-Way Ascent owner

Just like NorthPotomac in another thread, we also bought a Pleasure-Way Ascent. Exact same dealership (Beckleys), but unlike him, we took home the one off the lot. In fact, I think he's even test driven the exact one we bought. We took delivery yesterday. Our unit is an earlier 2017 model without swiveling seats, but we don't think it will be a problem for us.

We had also been leaning towards the Lexor, and changed our minds to get the Ascent. When we compared the driver's seat, we just couldn't get comfortable in a Promaster, while the Sprinter felt really good. Once we reassessed the expected usage for the near future (mostly day and weekend trips, with a few week-long trips thrown in here and there), it made sense to get the compact unit that can easily go around town. We are already appreciating its nimbleness as we get into small strip-mall parking lots that I can't imagine navigating with a 24' Sprinter.

We are looking forward to the exciting days ahead.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Congratulations !

I sat in the ProMaster and I was overwhelmed. It felt awkward.

I sat in the Sprinter and I felt at home immediately.

I spoke to a few ProMaster drivers,
most say that the van drove nice,
but a few mention that they were always apprehensive when driving around town,
because it is W-I-D-E.

The Sprinter, being a bit narrower, might actually be a better everyday driver.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Congratulations! I agree with you on the Promaster chassis. The driving position was really uncomfortable for me... too bad really we were very very close to buying a Hymer Aktiv, but bought a RT Agile instead. Hope you love your van!
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
Just like NorthPotomac in another thread, we also bought a Pleasure-Way Ascent. Exact same dealership (Beckleys), but unlike him, we took home the one off the lot. In fact, I think he's even test driven the exact one we bought. We took delivery yesterday. Our unit is an earlier 2017 model without swiveling seats, but we don't think it will be a problem for us.
Yes, we did! It drove beautifully on the winding roads near Sabillasville, Maryland (we insisted on taking it off the main highway). We look forward to meeting you and to taking a pic of both Ascents together. Hearty congrats!!
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Comfort of the PM driving position is highly dependent on seat adjustment, and there is a lot. Width is easy to get used to.

After having driven the PM for a while, I do not enjoy driving my Toyotas nearly as much as I used to.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Congrats, my neighbor has a 2016- he has had concerns with leaking propane fittings ant the tank and his shower door fell off...after 5 weeks waiting...I gave him email for pleasure way and the replacement showed in a week.

seems the dealer is weak- so story there is go direct if you need action.

PW gives good support even to legacy owners- they know that we are each ambassadors for the brand and if they don;t support old units, then they can;t sell us new units.

as for driving, i test drove a liked a sprinter and it was awesome, we passed as the winnie conversion quality was crap ( 09 era). I rented the citroen version of the PM in ireland and it was a pleasure to drive...even sitting on the right side and shifting the 6 speed with my left hand- the narrow roads there made everything seem wide. It was aa good machine- and I think I'd look at the Fiat before the MB if I were shopping to replace the chev

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
.I spoke to a few ProMaster drivers,
most say that the van drove nice, but a few mention that they were always apprehensive when driving around town,
because it is W-I-D-E. The Sprinter, being a bit narrower, might actually be a better everyday driver.
The total difference in width is 4 inches, isn't it? 2 inches on each side makes the Promaster wide?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The total difference in width is 4 inches, isn't it? 2 inches on each side makes the Promaster wide?
Sounds crazy, I know, but here's an exact quote from my wife after driving the Ascent on some great winding country roads: "I LOVE the way this drives. I don't want anything longer or wider."

I tried to convince her to test drive a PM. To no avail...
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Platinum Member

4 inches on each side, so a total of 8. That 8 inches feels massive though.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
4 inches on each side, so a total of 8. That 8 inches feels massive though.
You're right about an 8 inch differential being significant (as in the RT 210PC) but if we're comparing the Ascent with the Lexor Promaster, PW specs as follows:

Width with side mirrors extended:

Ascent: 7' 11"

Lexor Promaster: 8' 2.5"

which would make for a vehicle width difference of: 3.5"
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Oh sorry, I was comparing a different model.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I sat in the ProMaster and I was overwhelmed. It felt awkward. I sat in the Sprinter and I felt at home immediately.
The problem with observations regarding seats is that the verdict can be highly dependent on the particular body profile, i.e. height, weight, width, leg length, back curvature etc. Another factor in the verdict may involve the length of time parked in that seat. Seats never seem to feel better as a journey progresses - only the same or worse. Like you I've found seats that initially felt at home. But now and then, the same seats that were initially comfortable, made we wish I'd stayed home.