Old 08-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Living in Texas, no A/C or generator, no deal.

Unless budget is a major issue, I personally avoid half-measures. This means no makeshift toilet/bathroom/shower. I want a true bathroom with a black tank (or if pressed, a cassette toilet), a shower with a gray tank, and decent appliances.

There are arguments for/against propane, but I am quite for it, because it has a lot of energy density, and gives more energy for the space displacement for heating than electrical appliances. Plus, it is a lot quieter to boil water on the stove for coffee than it is to fire up a generator for microwaving. However, in Florida, heating needs are minimal, so an all electric vehicle definitely works.

Across the board, any/all self-contained class "B"s will hold their value, assuming the shower/toilet/fridge/microwave/electric system/plumbing system are in working order. Roadtreks are the foremost brand, but any "B" that has the above, there is someone out there who will buy it. The reason I emphasize self-contained is that without the subsystems, there is a good chance people won't bother buying it, because they can just buy a SUV instead for a cheaper price. One RV dealer has had a Sportsmobile with a partial upfit on their lot for years, and it will not move. Other Sportsmobile models have come and gone, but because that one didn't have any real amenities, it just sits there.
As far as resale value if you buy cheap then you can resell cheap. I've seen several of the Turtle Top class b's in the $4000 range. I'm not really on a budget but I'm in the Florida Keys and I don't have a garage, therefore I don't want to spend a lot of money on a class b that will deteriorate rapidly due the salt air here. I live 2 blocks from the ocean. The Leisure Travel that I had I sold because of an ongoing rust problem.
I included the makeshift shower in the picure because I thought it was a clever idea. Actually, in my previous class b's, I never used the inside showers. I think an outside shower is more useful for rinsing off your feet and in my case rinsing off after a swim in the ocean.
It all depends on your situation and what the class b will be used for.

shoalster is offline   Reply With Quote