Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Anyone buy "Resistall" sealant with a new RV?

Hi all,

I will soon be picking up our first ever motorhome, a Winnebago Travato, and the dealer wants to know if we want to pay $1,000 extra for "Resistall," which I guess is some kind of application to protect both the exterior paint and interior fabrics/leather. It seems like a lot of $$$, although their claim of never having to wax the RV for at least five years is very appealing!

Have any of you smart people on this forum tried this product before, or have knowledge about it? Does it work? A scam? Please help! It is made by CalTex but I couldn't gleam much from their website. I would greatly appreciate any input...

Thank you,

Amy
A&JB'ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

$1,000 can buy you lots of 3M Scotchguard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05113119204_F.jpg (17.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

$1,000 can buy you lots of 3M Scotchguard

Well, I do agree with you that there seems to be little value to protecting the interior fabrics/etc...it seems that Scotchguard would likely do the trick just as well!

However, not having to wax the exterior of a motorhome, even a relatively small class B, is a big deal to me. My husband is disabled due to brain cancer (which is one of the main reasons we are buying this Travato--to transport him comfortably to and from medical appointments/facilities), and I have my hands very full taking care of him so I have zero desire or ability to wax a vehicle every six months...nor will it be easy to find someone to do it (properly) where we live, which is currently in the remotely populated mountains of Northern CA. And SO, I find the "no wax" proposition very appealing!

Unfortunately, however, someone else I spoke with today about this issue said that he views these dealer sealer/protectant offerings as more of a "warranty". He said you are basically buying a "paint warranty," if that makes sense. He doesn't think ANY kind of sealer, coating, or even a pricey aerospace-type film, will truly eliminate the need to wax one's vehicle for a full five years.

Other thoughts? Agree/disagree??? The internet is full of conflicting information and I am a woman who is not very interested in "car stuff," so I am struggling to figure this out on my own....
Old 07-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #4
Site Team

I haven't applied wax to any vehicle in at least 20 years. They aren't going to win "people's choice" at a car show, but nor have there been any issues. Our RVs are stored outdoors without any cover. Modern paints are pretty remarkable.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Never waxed any of my rigs... and by 3-4 years old still looked like brand new other than the little chips from the highways, and this $1000 would do nothing to stop that.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I too live in Northern California, east of San Francisco. My wife used Scotch Guard on the fabrics and we did not buy any paint protection for any of our vehicles. We have a 2003 Jeep TJ, 2008 Altima, 2009 Xterra, and a 2015 Pleasure-Way on the Promaster chassis. They all look brand new, and I don't wax them.
Save that money.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
Silver Member

We also live in California, north of San Francisco and ours too lives out side. I had it waxed once about 5 years ago at a car wash while traveling. Wash and wax was $100, for what their asking I could have my van waxed every 5 years for the next 50 years. By bthen my van will be the same age as I am today! Don't waste your money on the $1000 dealer profit! I'll bet you may be able to find a mobile detailer that could even Mycome to the medical center to do the job.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #8
Bronze Member

In my opinion, it is a rip off, same catagory as extended service contracts. Modern paint and fabric treatments and the use of clear coat make vehicles look new for years. So who waxes anymore?
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate your opinions. We passed on the sealant and will be picking up our Travato on Monday--very excited about that! Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I had a friend who sold new cars....and Fabric Guard & Skin Protection Type Products were considered their cash cows!. He said when the "conned" a customer into buying it, it was an instant "cha-ching" for their payday. He brought some home....like someone said, Scotch Guard and Protect-All is as good or better. Ron
Old 07-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #11

Good to know! Some of those dealers sure can be convincing. There is a video online showing one of them spraying paint from a can--regular spray paint--onto one of their employee's brand new pickup trucks, and then they wipe the paint right off. They also claim that bugs just "rinse right off" with water. Guess it is too good to be true, like many things in life..
Old 07-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

If you are going to drive into bug's country,
get a bar of soap, yes the old fashion bar of soap,
and rub a thin layer on the hood.
At the end of the day, just spray it with water and all the bugs will slide off.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

If you are going to drive into bug's country,
get a bar of soap, yes the old fashion bar of soap,
and rub a thin layer on the hood.
At the end of the day, just spray it with water and all the bugs will slide off.

We do similar with Collinite paste wax. Put a good coating on the bug catching areas, and don't wipe it off after it dries. Next time you wash the vehicle the bugs come off much easier.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote