Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Anyone carry an inflatable boat?

Wondering if any members carry an inflatable boat like a zodiac in or on their B. It seems like the ideal boat to take on your travels as you always seem to come across rivers,lakes or ocean beaches in many of the campgrounds. I plan on purchasing a used one to try it out and a 15 to 20 hp motor in the future. Any experience with these? Thanks.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Dennis and Lavenia had an inflatable 2 person kayak. It was lots of fun. We had it out on some lakes up in Northern Minnesota a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I don't know if Lavenia still has it or not.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We just bought an Advanced Elements Advanced Frame 10.5 foot inflatable kayak and gave it a workout this past weekend on Little Bass Lake in northern Minnesota. We will be buying a second one. We bought ours at REI Coop for $399. We already had the paddles and life preservers because we have hardshell kayaks.

The kayak comes folded up in a 30" x 17" x 11" case. You unfold it and pump up 7 different chambers and you are ready to go. As kayaks go it is extremely stable since you sit between two air tubes. I didn't try but I doubt I could roll the kayak like I can with a hard shell kayak. You also sit on a cushion seat directly on an inflated bottom so you have to expect to get a little wet in the seat. I'd say swim suit would be mandatory.

It tracks well and even though it is an inflatable it still feels like a kayak and not a dinghy. We only intend to use it in small lakes and calm rivers. It seems just about all the campgrounds we have stayed at lately presented those opportunities.

We bought the only one available in the Twin Cities so we are going to order another one online. Then we may try them out again on Sawbill Lake in the BWCA national forest campground. Even though we can just throw them inside on the couch it looks as if we are going to get a Stowaway hitch carrier for them and some other "outdoor" stuff.

My first trip

Nancy's turn in kayak

Even little girls love it

Kayak pulled up on shore
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default kayak on a B

Hey Davydd That looks like an excellent kayak you have there. I looked at a Sevlor model inflatable that was similar at Canadian tire for about the same price. I strongly believe that an inflatable boat is a great addition to the pleasures of owning a class B van. There is always a lake or river at or close to your camp site and it is so relaxing to quietly paddle along and be close to the waterfowl and shoreline animals. I also think it is a romantic setting for couples of any age to enjoy each others company in a relaxing environment. I would encourage every class B camper to consider a boat like yours. OH! does your kayak come in a two person model? Thank you for giving the thread new life Davydd
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

They come in tandem models as well. Here is the information.

http://www.advancedelements.com/advancedframe.html

We prefer the single kayaks so we will be hauling two.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote