Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default Anyone Else Use Thier Van Daily For Work?

I'm curious if anyone else uses their Class B for work or commuting. I have our campervan set up to haul six kids for the Wife's after school program at her child care center. Then when we want to overnight I take a seat row out and strap in a bench/bed/dinette.

This was a good excuse for me to get a campervan because the wife needed an after school program van and the wife's needs come first.

Since I know it's hard to drop $80-100k down on a RV (I think it is). I was wondering what some of the uses people use a class B for.

Thanks,
Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

I did for a while. My truck broke down and I needed an extra vehicle so that was the only one available to me. Fortunately it was summer/fall and I didn't have to take it out in the snow or winterize the plumbing
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Anyone Else Use Thier Van Daily For Work?

I used mine to commute to work full time until I switched to part time. It is my second vehicle and gets regular use. My other vehicle is a Prius that my wife uses. I also use it to haul the family and friends since it will seat up to eight in belts.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 02-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have the little RT 170 and it is my only vehicle. But, I am retired.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There are numerous work/play combos on the PM forum.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

Yes, I do. Using it for work has many benefits as it keeps all the fluids active and moving parts lubed. It is also a great escape at lunch time. I keep lunch in the cold fridge. I can also cook a normal if I feel like it. I have my tv avaible just to wind down from the idiots I have to suffer with in the morning. I have a nice little raspberry pi attached to my tv so i can surf the internet if i like. Having a RV sit seems to be its worse enemy. I also keep the rv warm and keep the dampness out of it while i commute. My little home gives me piece of mind at lunch time. But im only working another 6 months until i retire and then we'll be spending a lot of time on the road. Our class b is a great west so we use the initials gw when talking about it at work and you should hear my coworkers squeal like a bunch of little piggies. President Bush isn't very popular here in what I refer to as Wershington. Ride hard, ride fast, and enjoy life.
Mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The only downside to using a "B" as a daily driver is that you put miles not just on the engine and drivetrain, but everything else bouncing around inside. For a daily driver where you have to stop, swerve, and deal with city traffic, I would not want to be putting an expensive "B" through that for long periods of time unless I had to.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Yes Dailey, when I had the little 2012 Excel PW. If served as my mobile office and was perfect. good mpg's, easy to park at offices and airports. Nice for rest stop area's along the way. Rarely ever slept in it though, usually just checked into a nice hotel. The class B makes more sense than a Suburban or Expedition. Good luck Enjoy the ride.
FLTRISK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

Traveling is one thing we do often with the van. I always want to sleep in the van but the wife always wants to stop at a hotel. Maybe if I had a shower with a 50 gallon tank she would feel different.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote