Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Anyone taken delivery of a Pleasure Way Tofino yet?

Currently waiting for our 2020 Pleasure Way Tofino to be built and wondering if anyone has one out in adventures yet?!?
Agentwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentwomack View Post
Currently waiting for our 2020 Pleasure Way Tofino to be built and wondering if anyone has one out in adventures yet?!?
Following this thread (also awaiting 2020 Tofino)
Dieselsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsan View Post
Following this thread (also awaiting 2020 Tofino)
Update: we ordered at the end of July and got notification that our build is starting and the van is schedule to be delivered the week of November 18th. So sounds like it’s closer to 4 months, not 5.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #4

That's encouraging news. We're assuming 4-5 months from our order date (Sep)...heck, winter is coming and good time to shift gears to winter play anyway! cheers!
Dieselsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #5

The Tofino has finally arrived!

We got this van mainly for snowboarding and camping trips with our two kids and dog, and just had a 2 night shake-down trip to Mt. Bachelor.
Was going to write a pros and cons list, but honestly there are not enough cons with this van so far.

First, its a very comfortable drive. Yes, I wish there was more adjustment options with the seats and steering wheel, but I was able to find a good fit. The kids had no issues with the bench in the back (we did get a small ottoman so they could put their feet up and we could store food in which helped). The front passenger seat can literally lay completely horizontal and sit way back. Once parked and the front seats are spun around, the top popped, and bed made everyone had there own space and plenty of room.
Temps got in the teens at night and twentys during the day and even with the top popped we could keep the temp inside around 60 degrees. The Tofnio has an awesome furnace! We ran the furnace full time, and also ran a fire pit off the hook up out side for a few hours over 2 nights / 2 days and only used 50% of our propane. We are going to make some insulated window covers for all the windows and put up some thermaflect around the canvas in the pop top which should make it even more efficient.
Along with that we ran the fridge full time, charged phones, cooked on the cook top a few times, ran a coffee maker and used the lights a bunch and never had a power issue. I think the solar panels did add some more juice to the batterys during the day.

I put a Thule cargo box on the roof, and even with 4 snowboards in it had no problem opening and closing the top. We also put a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta CR3 Winter tires on which are amazing. The front wheel drive along with the tires we had no issues on some very icy and snowy roads.

Need to also say the cargo space in the back exceeded our expectations. We way over packed just because there was so much space we could use.

Only other mods we did so far was de-badge the Pleasure Way emblems off the sides, and all the warning stickers throughout. Think it gives its a way cleaner and stealthy look.

Feel free to post below if anyone has any questions about the Tofino from Pleasure Way.

B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image from iOS (3).jpg (225.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Very nice and stealthy exterior (at least when the pop-top is down). Glad to hear it is exceeding your expectations.

Since I live in the deep South, does the Tofino have an undermount ac option?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Very nice and stealthy exterior (at least when the pop-top is down). Glad to hear it is exceeding your expectations.

Since I live in the deep South, does the Tofino have an undermount ac option?
There is no A/C option from Pleasure Way that I've seen. But could see there being a few options to install a unit in the Tofino DIY.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Yeah for new Tofino

Agentwomack,
Thanks for sharing your experience with your new Tofino. I was impressed with that campervan when I saw it at the Phoenix Class B show last April. Sounds like it's a great fit for your active family. I have it's older Canadian cousin, LTV Free Spirit, after owning the Tofino's inspiration, the VW Westy.
Our Free Spirit at Mt Bachelor, Oct 2016, preseason, hike-up conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161019_115242.jpg (190.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Great picture! That van fits right in up at Bachy as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Hello Tofino owners! Ex VW Vanagon owner here, 1972 and 1984 model years.
We have been looking at B Vans and think the Tofino might work for us.
Couple of questions.
Can you fit an awning in the Tofino?
Has anyone built a cassette toilet into a hassock or something similar? Pros/Cons?
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I copied my design from Safari Condo but built on 80/20 Al frame. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JVZNxKpmAm3H5t6X7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-ZGR12550.JPG (393.0 KB, 42 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Thanks George - if we head this direction I'll definitely reach out to you for guidance on duplicating what you have built.

Also as an ex-Westfalia owner I'd love your thoughts on the Tofino layout. I think it is pretty close to your build.

It looks like headroom will be maybe 5'6" or so with the top down. That's not great but not a deal breaker. Anyone know what the headroom is?

Also we camp in the desert a lot so will need some type of awning. From the pix online I don't really see a spot for one.

I don't see a hot water heater listed on the build sheet. Any thoughts on this? To me it is a requirement for a shower.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #13

Im not sure the exact height, but I'm 5'11 and only have to bend my head slightly to move around the cab. The cut out for the bunk which is over the kitchen area give about 5 inches more clearance, and of course popping the top gives lots of room.

I'm installing the Thule Hideaway awning next week. Thule makes a mounting kit specific for Dodge Promasters, but the Tofino has an 'aftermarket' top so the brackets don't really fit the rail flush so Ill have to be creative with those. Either way, because of the pop-top, awning installation on the Tofino will need to be drilled into the chassis.

Will post some pictures and an update after I get it buttoned up.

As far as the layout goes. We have a family of 4 (along with a bulldog) and have been camping up at the ski mountain every weekend for the past few months. The Tofino has a ton of space so we can pack everything we need for a 4 day trip easily. Once parked, the beds made, and cab seat turned around the van is super cozy and has plenty of room for the 4 of us to cook, eat, play games, watch movies, hang out, dress up / down for the snow, and sleep.

Looking forward to warm weather camping where we'll be able to open it all up and have access to the outside area as well.

Let me know if you had any other questions!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I copied my design from Safari Condo but built on 80/20 Al frame. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JVZNxKpmAm3H5t6X7
Thats a clean set up! I could see that particular set-up taking up alot of valuable space in the Tofino, but could maybe be set up in the back behind the bench and under the bed??
Old 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentwomack View Post
... but could maybe be set up in the back behind the bench and under the bed??
Behind the sofa would make for difficult access. I doubt that there is any space under the sofa as that is where the inverter and batteries are placed.

I would like to know how much space is in the box under the sofa too. Have you checked around in there? Could you post a photo or two of what it looks inside it?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
Platinum Member

W9TR, So you have considered Tofino. See my comment under your "Help Us Decide" post. Having an efficient, small water heater in our current LTV campervan is an enjoyable luxury compared to our Westy.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:46 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Agentwomack - please let me know how the awning install goes. I’d like to consider this option if we proceed with the Tofino. Thanks for sharing all your direct experiences. This info is very helpful.
Tom
Old 02-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
W9TR, So you have considered Tofino. See my comment under your "Help Us Decide" post. Having an efficient, small water heater in our current LTV campervan is an enjoyable luxury compared to our Westy.
What water heater solution is working for you? Is it electric or propane?
Tom
Old 02-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Platinum Member

For a small campervan a marine water heater used often in the boating industry could be very useful. It can be heated by engine coolant or shore AC. https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/bo...er-heater.html In UK it is called “calorifier” in NA “marine water heater” Popular in US is Isotemp which have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat-water-heater2.jpg (26.2 KB, 9 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Solis

If the Tofino is of interest but you'd also like a toilet and hot water then take a look at Winnebago's new Solis model also. It's slightly larger, though still under 20ft, and includes a small multipurpose toilet/shower that can also be outfitted with racks for extra storage and is heated for drying out wet gear.

Solis uses the Truma Combi combination furnace / water heater with a 96% sealed combustion efficiency versus the Tofino's traditional RV furnace with roughly 70% efficiency. Both units are based on the Ram Promaster although Solis uses the slightly larger 2500 chassis.

Despite widely different MSRP pricing actual street prices for the Tofino and Solis are pretty close.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleasure way, pleasure-way, pleasureway, tofino