Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Default Are Class B Transit's here to stay?

Looking for used class B's, it seems the market is saturated with class b sprinters, but very few Transits (or for that matter, Promasters). Is that because the Sprinter Class B's have been around for a lot longer?

We're looking to purchased a used class B and really like the transit/promaster route for reliability and long term maintenance. But, I'm wondering if we're missing some great, viable options by not considering a class b on a sprinter chassis?

Are Transits/promaster class B's here to stay?
alienmemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

With the 2020 Transit having AWD as an option, I think more RV manufacturers will be taking a look at it as a platform. We love our Transit based Winnebago Paseo. We chose it over the Sprinter because we read too many horror stories of problems with the newer diesels, and over the Promaster because of towing capacity (we pull a 5x8 enclosed trailer with two dual sport motorcycles in it, total loaded weight around 2000 lbs).
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Gold Member

People are keeping their Transit based rigs.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
People are keeping their Transit based rigs.
There are just not that many Transit conversions out there.

The Sprinter has been around for over 15 years from every Class B manufacturer. The Transit was not marketed to converters in its first years and thus few converters looked at them. (I think fleet buyers were grabbing them all from Ford) Promaster has only been around for about 4 years.

Thus if you want used, the vast majority of those three options will be Sprinters.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mike and mumkin are right. The only way anyone will get my PM conversion is from my cold dead fingers.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

not to belabor the obvious.

the biggest class b makers -recently departed roadtrek-and winnebego did not use transits. some makers do starting recently but since you are looking for used they are not available.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
not to belabor the obvious.

the biggest class b makers -recently departed roadtrek-and winnebego did not use transits. some makers do starting recently but since you are looking for used they are not available.

Actually, WGO mane the Paseo line for three(3) years on the long wheelbase, tall extended T350HD. Like mine.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
Actually, WGO mane the Paseo line for three(3) years on the long wheelbase, tall extended T350HD. Like mine.

would you think think would be a lot of used ones for sale. that was my point
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

When we ordered and designed our Sportsmobile in 2016-2017, I would have preferred a gas based van like the Transit. By then Transits had been available long enough that I would have expected them to be very popular. I was surprised when Sportsmobile and other builders like Roadtrek, Pleasureway, Advanced RV, etc. had very little interest in building on them. As I recall there were multiple reasons for this including the fact that the mid height model is too short and the high roof model is almost too high (and kind of ugly). There were also other structural issues like the location of the pillars for conversions as I recall from my conversations. Sportsmobile basically talked us out of considering the Transit and Promaster. Since that time it doesn't seem like most of these companies have changed their preferences. I doubt there will be a significant change in the availability of used Class B Transits anytime soon.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

We are seeing a plethora of PM and Transit builds by small start-ups who see the market hole the big boys are leaving open. These builds tend to be more basic because small shops don’t have economy of scale for moldings, etc.

While the Transit has obvious upfitting issues, the PM was practically designed for it.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Just got the notice that Pleasure-Way is introducing two new Transit based B-vans at Hershey this week. . .

https://rvbusiness.com/pleasure-way-...b-camper-vans/
Old 09-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just got the notice that Pleasure-Way is introducing two new Transit based B-vans at Hershey this week. . .

https://rvbusiness.com/pleasure-way-...b-camper-vans/

Looks interesting. Pleasure-way may actually be ready to compete in the more hi tech range instead of just on quality.

Using all Ecoboost is a smart move, IMO, as anyone who test drives one will be sold on it. I know I would be.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Looks interesting. Pleasure-way may actually be ready to compete in the more hi tech range instead of just on quality.

Using all Ecoboost is a smart move, IMO, as anyone who test drives one will be sold on it. I know I would be.
I agree. Heading to the Hershey RV show tomorrow to have a look at these PWs and other new B-vans.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I agree. Heading to the Hershey RV show tomorrow to have a look at these PWs and other new B-vans.
Please report back. I'd take an Ecoboost any day. I've heard when you get on the throttle the mpg takes a big hit, but to me that's better than getting on the gas and not having any pick up.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I saw that Pleasureway has introduced two new Transit models at Hershey. They only have the brochure up on their website as yet. They do look nice. I await more photos.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Very interesting new Transit Class B's by Pleasureway. As usual, their floor plans are great. I wish Pleasureway would start to add a second alternator option to charge the batteries fast although this can probably be added without too much hassle. At least they have switched to a gas driven Onan Generator instead of LP although I would be tempted to just get rid of it and get the spare tire back. Otherwise it looks like a great van to me. It looks like they finally ditched the old 3 way refrigerators. It seems odd to me to haul a propane tank around and then not use it for a cooktop.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The pictures and specs in the brochure look great. Looks like they took everything Winnebago got right on the Paseo, and corrected everything they got wrong, plus added Lithium (but only 200AH) and 300W of solar. Nice big bathroom, and a compressor fridge like the Paseo, but longitudinal sleeping to make it work for taller folks.

The only thing I'd change is I prefer a propane burner over induction. They have propane for the heater, so why not use propane for the stove?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
Gold Member

And PW kept the MSRP below the 2017 Paseo MSRP. Might be a winner but many will still go to the lower priced Travato.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Default Why do you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmemories View Post
Looking for used class B's, it seems the market is saturated with class b sprinters, but very few Transits (or for that matter, Promasters). Is that because the Sprinter Class B's have been around for a lot longer?

We're looking to purchased a used class B and really like the transit/promaster route for reliability and long term maintenance. But, I'm wondering if we're missing some great, viable options by not considering a class b on a sprinter chassis?

Are Transits/promaster class B's here to stay?
It's interesting how many times Ford has changed the names of their vehicles every time that particular model gets a bad reputation......

You know that the Ram Promaster is a Fist Ducato....

Remember the Aerostar, Windstar and Free Star...

I always find it curious when an automobile manufacturer has to constantly change the name of one of their models only to introduce a brand new version of the same thing....

I don't have a lot of confidence in Chrysler or Fiat....Fiat failed in the United States a couple of times and now that the Fiat 500 is back in the USA it has one of the lowest ratings from Consumer Reports......

By contrast, the Honda Accord, Subaru Outback and Toyota Camry have all had the same brand name and consistently been around for a a very long time.....

And, as a point of information, the Sprinter was first introduced in 1995...

There's got to be a reason why Federal Express is using a really big fleet of Sprinters....?

Do you see what I mean?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
It's interesting how many times Ford has changed the names of their vehicles every time that particular model gets a bad reputation......

You know that the Ram Promaster is a Fist Ducato....

Remember the Aerostar, Windstar and Free Star...

I always find it curious when an automobile manufacturer has to constantly change the name of one of their models only to introduce a brand new version of the same thing....

I don't have a lot of confidence in Chrysler or Fiat....Fiat failed in the United States a couple of times and now that the Fiat 500 is back in the USA it has one of the lowest ratings from Consumer Reports......

By contrast, the Honda Accord, Subaru Outback and Toyota Camry have all had the same brand name and consistently been around for a a very long time.....

And, as a point of information, the Sprinter was first introduced in 1995...

There's got to be a reason why Federal Express is using a really big fleet of Sprinters....?

Do you see what I mean?
No, I don't.

As a point of information, the Transit was first introduced in 1965.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote