Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Are older class b's getting hard to find?

Over the past 4 months or so ive had
At least 10 people knock on my door
Asking if i wanted to sell our 94 pleasureway

Some with a half decent amout of cash in hand.
We are on a rural acre of land and its not easy to spot From the street so they must be searching pretty hard.

I kinda lucked into ours about 5 years ago and havent really looked at whats out there.

At this point im thinking of putting a NOT FOR SALE sign in the back window lol.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I just recently started thinking about an older B, and have been casually browsing RV Trader, Craigslist, eBay, etc. I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be too many of them offered for sale, though oddly, I've also noticed a good number of them have what I'd think to be absolutely insane asking prices. I saw a few early to mid 80's models that appeared to be conversion van...well, conversions, lol that look like a bunch of drunk 12 year olds built it, with asking prices north of 15K. That kind of money could get me into a fairly clean, though basic, factory built, 90's model.

I've been wondering if perhaps people are using these more like regular vehicles, putting more miles on them than your typical Class A or Class C motorhome, thus they're just wearing out and ending up in motorhome heaven far more often.
Detroit80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit80 View Post
I just recently started thinking about an older B, and have been casually browsing RV Trader, Craigslist, eBay, etc. I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be too many of them offered for sale, though oddly, I've also noticed a good number of them have what I'd think to be absolutely insane asking prices....

I think it's the typical supply and demand issue.

There were a lot less Class-B's made than any other RV.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The market fell apart in 2008, so many fewer made for nearly 10 years. This can really limit the availability as the folks that would get a 5-10 year old model either have to go up or down, and I think most go down. Plus, all the ones that are over 10 years are getting more and more miles on them and wearing out. I think it will be tough to find any good used deals for quite a while yet.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think it will be tough to find any good used deals for quite a while yet.
This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm seriously considering buying a "regular" van, and just doing the conversion myself. The only stumbling block with that, however, is that I'm finding many insurance companies won't insure the things beyond just basic liability only on the van itself once they hear "doing the conversion myself". Understandably so...they don't know if I'm a nun filled bus accident waiting to happen or if I'm every bit capable of doing it properly, and will thus tend to fall on the "too much risk" side of things.
Detroit80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Most bargain hunters spent 2 years of searching before finding a gem.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I searched for more than 6 months, and then I found mine as a trade in at a Rv dealership, as is, where is, and got a great deal, but even now sometimes I look just for fun and cant believe what prices are being asked for a 1997 dodge roadtrek, the same as mine, or some units even older are still very expensive, but then take a look at a newer model just a few years old, and they are near $100 thousand, with a new roadtrek near $150,000, way out of my range, I really have come to the realization that I wont be up-grading any time soon, and will probably drive my 1997 till she wont go anymore,,,good luck with your search,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Here in my part of Texas, I am seeing ten year old Sprinter Roadtreks going for what they were bought for. In fact, the cheapest "B" in my area is a 2007 LTV Free Spirit (a T1N Sprinter) going for 44k. The last time I went to look at some class "B"s, a salesperson wanted to push their Airstream Atlas models, which start at $219k, as the de facto class "B" standard.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #9

Here in MS used B's for sale are nonexistent and it's disheartening looking for one that is affordable. We're still hopeful that we will be B owners before summer.
RezReb is offline   Reply With Quote