Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Are you happy with your rig? Do you plan to buy another?

Maybe boredom has set in for me but I find myself looking a RV's for sale.

Family matters prevent me from using my RT as much as I'd like to right now. I have to stay close to home. That's probably what is causing it.

If my RV was an "investment" and it was not producing a "return" I'd probably sell it and buy another one later.

If you weren't able to use your RV much for a year would you sell it or keep it?

Are you happy with your rig? Do you plan to buy another?

How long do you keep your RV?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

I don't have a chance to use ours much because work. Even when things are slow someone has to be around. God willing that nothing bad happens I plan on keeping the one I got for retirement and using it whenever we can. Maybe if I hit the lottery I'll get a new one.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
Bronze Member

That's why I bought used, so it doesn't bother so much if it stands without use for a short while. Some people have much more expensive "hobbies".
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
Silver Member

Default Are you Happy With Your Rig?

We had a year where we weren't able to use our PW very much, but, the thought never even crossed our mind to sell it!
We are making it up this year though, we are leaving for Canada on June 6th for a Rally in Canada being held by Pleasure-Way. Then in August, we are going to Rhinebeck, NY to the Aeorodrome. Then in September, the Hershey RV Show in PA. Right after that will head to NC for 10 days.
We had a '93 Dodge PW, then a '97 Dodge PW , and now have an '03 Ford PW. We are thinking of checking out the new '08 and see if we would like the changes. If not, we would still be very happy with our '03!
Pleasure-Way makes a well made camper and we have always been happy with the workmanship! No complaints from us!
2003 FORD EXCEL-RD (#3)
HAVE PLEASURE-WAY, WILL TRAVEL!
Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Marco don't you dare even think about selling. You'll be sorry later I'll guarantee you!

We're kinda in the same fix right now. Can't go anywhere for any length of time because of doctors appts. (not serious stuff), family stuff and whatever else comes up lately.
We've made several overnite trips, back the next day since we took the big step. 200 or so miles away max. Really likin it so far and wanting badly to go some distance away but can't right now.

Only regret I have is we don't have a shelter for the van. Can't do what you have or anything less than a small separate garage because of restrictions. Can't afford to build one right now, maybe next year.
If I was to do it again, we'd do the shelter first, then the van.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We've not been able to use ours much this year either. We are currently stuck with 2 house payments so travel funds are low..... however, we would not think of selling our PW.

In a few years we may trade ours in, but only when they start making a Pleasureway in a 4WD Sprinter. Otherwise, we'll drive it until it won't go anymore.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Platinum Member

One thing for certain is that a Class B is a handy extra vehicle. I've brought home bathroom vanities, lumber, patio furniture etc. The ability to open rear doors on B's is very useful.

I did spend some time on a two dealer lots this past weekend looking at whats available. Some of the Class A's are like "WOW !" The prices are like double WOW!

The Pleasure Way Sprinter was very nice - asking price was CDN$ 106,000.00 ! ! ! + 13% taxes......... B Vans are so much more expensive in Canada, way more than exchange rate differences.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #8

I just got my 200 Versatile a couple of months ago, but will likely put it on the market soon. Same story...family and other matters keeping me home this year. I had planned on driving all over the country in the van this year but now that has to wait. It's just too big to use as an everyday vehicle. I find myself not doing things because I don't want to drive it. I still have the old Honda, so I'll probably re-insure and drive that.

The RT is a rapidly depreciating asset to be sitting around. Still have to clean and maintain it, and have to move it around to arrange home parking. It's become a burden. If I get another, it will be smaller like a RT 170 or Agile, or even a Astro van with a fold down rear seat for sleeping, and maybe throw in some customs for camping.
wilburleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburleft
........Still have to clean and maintain it, and have to move it around to arrange home parking..............
I'm lucky that my RT has its own parking spot. I put the cover on it last week to keep it clean.

Funny thing is that if I were to sell it I'd have to buy another RV I like owning an RV Even if I can't travel at least I can tweak it with some modifications.....................
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
........ B Vans are so much more expensive in Canada, way more than exchange rate differences.
I just learned that there is a $17,517 surcharge for the Canadian chassis for a Dodge Sprinter base Winnebago View!

To "prevent" Canadians from buying U.S. models Dodge does not honor the warranty in Canada (there's at least a $30,000 savings between the U.S. and Canadian Winnebago View).

I suspect that there is a similar surcharge on Class B Sprinter conversions
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #11

Default Re: Are you happy with your rig? Do you plan to buy another?

We love the PW Excel TS, and we'll get the newer model. But this model is set up for me or disabilty. We use it as primarly vehicle. I put a mirror on the end and back-up cam on it. I can parallel the unit in between the yellow lines. I lost my licence when i had a stroke. This unit, fitted to me, I passed and on the road again.
Rinkman (AKA Ron)
rinkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Old topic but we are now heading into our 4th season with our 2005 Pleasure-Way Plateau Sprinter. I have no desire to trade up and go in debt again. The Plateau is serving us well and I like it better than the new models. However, we did sell our pontoon boat last September and gave up our city boat dock on Lake Minnetonka. The boat show came and passed and we did not succumb to a new boat so that 15 year era is over. The RV cut severely into our boating time because we were not around to use it. We used it a half dozen times last season. Even though the boat was long paid for the dock slip cost $1,460 this year (very cheap on Lake Minnetonka and hard to give up), winter storage was about $700, maintenance and prep was another $200+ and then gasoline. That's a lot of money for a few cruises. We will be on the road even more this year now that my wife is retired. If I am home and it hits 90 degrees F. I think maybe I might have some pangs of regret.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Silver Member

We have a 2006 190 Versatile, which we had the dealer order from the factory to get exactly what we wanted. We have enjoyed it very much. We used it last year less than the 1st two years because of many of the same types of things previous posters have mentioned. We would not consider getting rid of it unless we just plain got tired of it, and I really don't see that hapening. It is paid for, and we are fortunate to have a garage that we store it in when it is not in use. Yes, there is still maintenance and up keep, but I really feel that is minimal, especially when it stays inside except during use. When they always have to live outside, it really does make for much more up keep by the owners. I am pretty anal about maintenance on everything I own, and I do most of my own maintenance and up keep. We like the package we have, and the mods we have done to personalize it, and would not want to start over again. Plus we don't want to go out and spend that kind of money again to get the same thing we already have, and then spend more to personalize it again. Age generally does not matter to us, as long as they still fill our needs, and are in nice condition and still safe, we will keep what we have. Our every day vehicals are a 1994 & 1995 and we don't for see getting rid of them anytime soon either.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yes, we are happy with our rig (05/06 R/T 190 Versatile)

No, we are not planning on buying another.

We've had our R/T since the Summer of 07 and have taken it on a number of nice trips and get-aways :

1) 6200 miles - Texas-California-up the coast to just short of Vancouver, BC-inland and along the Columbia-Lake Tahoe-Reno-Las Vegas-home
2) Up to Durango to ride the Durango/Silverton narrow gage-Ventura, Ca-San Diego, Ca-home
3) Out to Williams, Az to ride the Grand Canyon train-home
4)5) 2 different Texas Hill Country State Parks for 3-4 day get-aways

Presently have the R/T for sale but if it doesn't sell thru this Summer:

6) Plan on going up thru Colorado, Yellowstone, Tetons, back thru the Moab

Will then fly with my Wife "down under"-take a cruise from Sydney to Auckland-fly back home

It's nice to have, when one wants to take off but we're about over the RVing thing
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
Platinum Member

We are definitely satisfied with our RT 190P. We have been using it to "winter-over" in FL Parks for the last couple of years. We don't get out as much as we would hope, but health has been a factor. We have discussed "should we or shouldn't we" get rid of, etc........we will keep it and use it as much as possible and are thankful for its uniqueness. Ron
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #16

We are very happy withour little van. I spent 31 nites camping in it last year and should come close to that again this year. Put 13,000 "trip" miles on it last year, many of which was off pavement. It will be an on going build with this seasons priorities being aluminium off road bumpers, skid plates, and rock rails, and exterior hot shower.
2k3 Chevy Astro AWD, Overlandvans 4-5" lift, 4:10's w/ Eaton posi in rear, NP233c 4x4 2spd Hi Lo transfercase, 255/70 16 ATs, GTRV Pop Top w/ sleeper bunk, Gaucho coach, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote