Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #21
Platinum Member

The power sliding door will be a nice feature for a lot of people. DW is small and short, and has always had trouble closing the slider in the class b vans that have them.

One thing that would be interesting to know is how the power setup works, and what kind of access will be needed to repair it if it breaks. I bring this up because when we were looking minivans some years ago, the biggest complaint on them was that if the power doors broke a cable all of the interior had to come apart to get at it to replace. IIRC folks were talking about over $5000 to do. A class b with lots of stuff inside would be even worse, if the same issue were present.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The power sliding door will be a nice feature for a lot of people. DW is small and short, and has always had trouble closing the slider in the class b vans that have them.

One thing that would be interesting to know is how the power setup works, and what kind of access will be needed to repair it if it breaks. I bring this up because when we were looking minivans some years ago, the biggest complaint on them was that if the power doors broke a cable all of the interior had to come apart to get at it to replace. IIRC folks were talking about over $5000 to do. A class b with lots of stuff inside would be even worse, if the same issue were present.
You're right about servicing the power door, especially in a fitted camper. For example accessing the mechanism behind the kitchen galley would be problematic. I'm surprised it's only a 1000 € option on the german MB site. There are many power door systems available as retrofits but it's nice to finally see a panel van manufacturer offering this option. I'm sure MB will at least make it a safe and secure system. I've seen that the override is often the neglected part in actual retrofit systems.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Re the 2019 Sprinter, other than the prospect of a gas engine choice, are there any other 2019 model changes that would warrant waiting for it to be available for upfitting?
Yes. Primarily safety features. We discussed them on Facebook.

Quote:
- Speed-sensitive electric power steering is standard on all 2019 Sprinters except all-wheel drive models.

- A rearview camera is standard on the 2019 Sprinter. There is also a 360-degree camera that comes with an optional Parking package.

- Available advanced safety features include automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist and a system called Attention Assist that monitors the concentration and drowsiness of the driver.

- Another optional system called Distronic uses radar to activate adaptive cruise control, keeping a safe distance between the Sprinter van and the vehicle ahead. If the vehicle in front is braking, Distronic allows the 2019 Sprinter to follow it down to a stop.
I like the interior cab options and the large screen and storage. I think all LED lights are worth the wait and hopefully they will advance other electronic features and maybe resolve the pollution control issues better if diesel remains an option.

Plus, why not the latest, now that one knows.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Yes. Primarily safety features. We discussed them on Facebook.

I like the interior cab options and the large screen and storage. I think all LED lights are worth the wait and hopefully they will advance other electronic features and maybe resolve the pollution control issues better if diesel remains an option.

Plus, why not the latest, now that one knows.
Thanks for the details. Offering the gas engine as a four banger leaves me wondering how they will develop the suds necessary for a heavy coach.

Why not the latest makes sense. As the knowledge of the impending new model spreads, I wonder if it is going to impact both commercial and upfitted Sprinters during this year.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I really, REALLY wish we could have got a van with a hinged side door. I don't need a four-foot slider and it's really hard for me to close.

Sorry, a little off topic here...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the details. Offering the gas engine as a four banger leaves me wondering how they will develop the suds necessary for a heavy coach.

Why not the latest makes sense. As the knowledge of the impending new model spreads, I wonder if it is going to impact both commercial and upfitted Sprinters during this year.
The impact of upfitted Sprinters during this year is speculation and I could care less as I know my plans. According to ARV the 2019 Sprinters will be taking orders in May. It is unknown now as to what time frame is involved after that. As to the gas four banger, it is a wait and see, but they are offering it and presumably MB thinks it adequate. I know the diesel 6 and 4 are capable and there are several advantages to a diesel. I've had three diesel Sprinters with less engine problems than all the gas engine cars and trucks I've owned. I will just wait and see and evaluate then.

They've reduced the curb weight to achieve more payload.

They are improving the transmission I assume and that's another plus paired with a 9 speed automatic transmission.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
Gold Member

[QUOTE=cruising7388;67793]Thanks for the details. Offering the gas engine as a four banger leaves me wondering how they will develop the suds necessary for a heavy coach.

I’m having the same thought. I leased a MB C250 with a Turbo-4 cyl. The “Turbo Lag” was really disappointing. Acceleration was anemic at best and that was on a 3500 lb Car. If that is the Engine that MB plans on offering on a 9000+ lb. Sprinter, I imagine there will be similarly disappointed Owners. A Twin-Turbo would smooth it out a bit, but it’s wait and see on which gas Engine MB will eventually offer. I turned in the Sedan early when I bought my present Coach, that’s how annoyed I was. All my previous MB Cars were 8 cyl. Never again.

The new 9 speed Auto Transmission may help with acceleration. The new Dash is much more Car-like. A definite plus

Back to the Solar Womp
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Does anyone know the brand of Solar Panels installed on Solar Womp? I just looked at the photos on eBay and they look like flex panels mounted on a thin rigid panel by ARV. They are 250 W panels based on total of 1250 W for five panels. Flex panels seem like an unnecessary compromise for this application when they could have used quality rigid glass panels that offer 330 W each and better overall performance. But then the glass panels are probably heavier than the flex panels.

Edit: Just found one answer on the Sprinter-Source forum for the controllers - they are Tracer, model 2215BN controllers. Just found specifics on the solar panels in details of eBay listing, they are eNow flexible solar panels.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
If this would be my crusade I would turn to better cells, such as monocrystalline with back contacts under AR coated glass.

The value of being flexible with an adhesive layer for quick deployment is not really important in this Womp application of flat panels. I doubt that weight is a big factor, would need to get more data.

The Womp's front panel life could be very short, Si cells are fragile and it will take a pebble or stone at a highway speed to crack a cell and the panel will have to be replaced.

So, I would arrange PV panels in a following way - vertically stack 2 x 600W panel layers on the roof resulting in upper panels always available for harvesting of 600W and with van in a stationary position slide the upper layer to one side with 50% extensions and lower in opposite side with 50% extension allowing 1200W harvesting. Would use glass panels, good cooling underneath, high efficiency Si cells.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
Site Team

There is no longer all that much daylight between modern gas and diesel engines. Direct-injection, turbo-charged 4-cylinder engines using premium fuel are kind of amazing. I have little doubt that the Mercedes petrol offering will be more than adequate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
Platinum Member

ARV installs many kinds of solar cells from glass to flexible panels depending on the design. I have flexible solar mounted to ABS panels trimmed with aluminum tight to the ribs of the roof for a stealth look. My choice and not having a awning to shade the cells I was able to accomplish it. They also don't contribute to wind drag.

The Solar Womp was built totally off the roof with an aluminum structure. With 1250w I assume glass panels might have exceeded load capacity or impaired capacity for other things like a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I'm guessing that might have been the reason.

The flex panels perform well. I do know of one ARV where hail damage destroyed them but don't know if that hail storm would have done in glass panels as well. Since mine are adhered to the ABS panel I have experienced no cupping in three years you read about.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I really, REALLY wish we could have got a van with a hinged side door. I don't need a four-foot slider and it's really hard for me to close.

Sorry, a little off topic here...
Hinged doors are one of the redeeming virtues of the Roadtrek Chevies. Sliders may be well suited for some applications but personally I prefer a hinged door which admirably conforms to the KISS principle.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
ARV installs many kinds of solar cells from glass to flexible panels depending on the design. I have flexible solar mounted to ABS panels trimmed with aluminum tight to the ribs of the roof for a stealth look. My choice and not having a awning to shade the cells I was able to accomplish it. They also don't contribute to wind drag.

The Solar Womp was built totally off the roof with an aluminum structure. With 1250w I assume glass panels might have exceeded load capacity or impaired capacity for other things like a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I'm guessing that might have been the reason.

The flex panels perform well. I do know of one ARV where hail damage destroyed them but don't know if that hail storm would have done in glass panels as well. Since mine are adhered to the ABS panel I have experienced no cupping in three years you read about.
I have flexible panels. The benefits are low weight and no drag. We often see folks with panels on racks who make a wind dam for the leading edge.

The down side is that they don't shade the roof (so it gets hotter in the sun), the lack of air flow probably makes the panels hotter and slightly less efficient, and they will be difficult to remove should they ever need to be replaced.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #33
Platinum Member

My panels are tight to the roof ribs so there is air flow underneath and they are contained in an aluminum frame mechanically fastened to the roof rails so they can be removed easily. The ABS plastic base underneath is probably about 3/16" to 1/4" thick and is flexible enough to follow the curvature of the roof. I have three panels. Each has its own MPPT controller and each panel is zoned in two parts so partial shade doesn't affect the whole panel.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #34
Platinum Member

This is my view of how to make the absolute best of PV harvesting in the reality of RV:

1. Use monocrystalline cells
2. Use back cell connections
3. Allow good air flow as close as it is possible to back sides of Si wafers
4. Minimize surface reflection by AR coating
5. Null any shading including ease of cleaning dried out bird poop or sap
6. Tilt if feasible.

Womp is questionable in #1, #2, #3 (whatever structural sheet they use will block the cooling air flow directly to Si, #4 I have no clue, vendor doesn’t specify use of AR on their PET, #5 (cleaning of plastic can damage surface)
AM solar is well known for excellent products and services and they do know their business well, see what they carry. https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-kit/panel-kits
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #35
BBQ
Platinum Member

Looks like lots of ventilation under the panels

Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
My panels are tight to the roof ribs so there is air flow underneath and they are contained in an aluminum frame mechanically fastened to the roof rails so they can be removed easily. The ABS plastic base underneath is probably about 3/16" to 1/4" thick and is flexible enough to follow the curvature of the roof. I have three panels. Each has its own MPPT controller and each panel is zoned in two parts so partial shade doesn't affect the whole panel.

That's a really smart way of doing it - ARV is pretty amazing.

Ford had channels in the roof instead of raised ribs so there is a lot more flat roof to stick the panels to.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Looks like lots of ventilation under the panels

Indeed, the question is what is between the cooling air and silicon. Glass rigid panels have a very thin substrate – the strength is in the frame. These panels are flexible but needed to made rigid, so what is under these panels to keep them flat. Likely more than 1/8” ABS.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
That's a really smart way of doing it - ARV is pretty amazing.
How do you clear the dirt and grime that inevitably accumulates under the panels?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
How do you clear the dirt and grime that inevitably accumulates under the panels?
A power spray wash takes care of it on my ARV. I'm assuming Phoebe's Ford Crossfit not having the convex ribs that her panels are glued directly on the roof if I am reading her right.

As for Solar Womp, I think the panels are adhered to the ABS plastic and then attached to a gridded aluminum frame where the ABS is totally exposed. They are off the roof so much of the roof penetrations, such as vents, exhaust fans, etc. can be underneath having the panels continuous over all of it. There is a lot of air passing under as well as shielding the entire roof from the sun. The owner will probably not execute this design again as he stated there was somewhat of a drag driving. I don't experience that because I am tight to the roof but there are some spots where the connecting cord wires are not attached 100% to the roof underneath the panels and the wind does lift them sometimes and I get a wap, wap sound with wind lifting. So I know the wind is doing its cooling job as many have been concerned here.

This is a full photo of my roof. Note they cut out the solar where the plumbing vent comes through. That's the flexibility of flexible panels. There are two panels up front and one in the back behind the air conditioner for 420w total. The collection box for the cord wires is just to the front of the air conditioner so there is only one roof penetration for them.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
A power spray wash takes care of it on my ARV. I'm assuming Phoebe's Ford Crossfit not having the convex ribs that her panels are glued directly on the roof if I am reading her right.
Yes, they are mostly glued flat to the roof...and obviously, I haven't done anything to clean the top OR the water channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0596.jpg (267.6 KB, 21 views)