Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default automatic air feshners in camper vans

i am wondering about something , i have at home in the bathroom a automatic air freshner airwick i beleive is the brand although their are other brands that make the same thing anyway it runs on two aa batteries and can be set to spray a puff of fragerence every half hour that will last up to 2 or three months .
i was thinking that it would be nice to have something like that in a van as long as it was set so it didn't spray on anyone and was made to stay in place of course this would only be in a camper van that had no open flame in it .
what does anyone else think about that ??
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: automatic air feshners in camper vans

After rolling through a fresh skunk road patch, I've often wished I had something to help
with the residual "fragrance" which invariably permeates the van.
However, I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the scent of an Air Wick either.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I think that would be fine for a short while but left on I think the small area of the van would have a lot of the scent around. I don't think you would need any power sparying. Just my thoughts here since I have had them over power a room. Maybe I just have a sensative nose.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Platinum Member

In such a small space.... myself, I don't like any "chemical/ artificial" smells. I don't smoke and I don't cook much in the RV. My solution to have a good smelling RV is to have several opened bars of soap here and there in the closets, cabinets, anywhere I have clothing or towels. I also have good quality incense sticks tucked here and there. I try to vacuum the carpet fairly often, too. HAS ANYONE FOUND A GOOD 12V VACUUM?
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sometimes I tuck some dryer sheets in the dash vents and turn the fan on.
Careful, you don't push them in too far, so that you can easily retrieve them when
they wear out. Works for me.
12V vacuum cleaners? Good question, I don't know of any that are 5 star.
I bought one a while back (probably B&D, can't recall), and it's been used maybe twice.
It has fair suction for cleaning up small amounts of debris, but I find a small broom to
be more effective overall, as most of our flooring is non-carpeted. I've added a protective
layer of plastic runner over the carpet in the cab area, and the bed covers the rear carpet.
I do any serious vacuuming in the driveway at home, or at a car wash if necessary. I guess
you could try to find a 110AC receptacle somewhere and take a regular vacuum with you?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Hello! New poster here--and a new owner of an old RT (94) that I am just thrilled with!

I just picked up a 12v hand held vac (similar to the old Red Devil vacs). This works great, and I have two Labs who are constant hair making machines.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-va ... -5901.html

HTH
Jefiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
Platinum Member

"taking a regular vacuum" and where would this fit?
Thanks for link to 12-volt travel store. ARGH, now I have to stop myself from buying every gadget.
I do use the carwash vacuums, 50 cents for a lot more power than any vacuum I could carry with me.
And, yes a little whiskbroom, dustpan do wonders. Also, I have covered ALL of my carpet with.... another carpet! I had a large remnant of like- colored carpet. I had it cut to lay over all my carpet. ( except under the bed, as you mentioned- doesn't get dirty) I have a door mat that I shake out often. I have plastic mats in the cab, including between the seats..... so if I ever sell this van, the original carpeting will still be "as new".
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit
"taking a regular vacuum" and where would this fit?
Thanks for link to 12-volt travel store. ARGH, now I have to stop myself from buying every gadget.
I do use the carwash vacuums, 50 cents for a lot more power than any vacuum I could carry with me.
And, yes a little whiskbroom, dustpan do wonders. Also, I have covered ALL of my carpet with.... another carpet! I had a large remnant of like- colored carpet. I had it cut to lay over all my carpet. ( except under the bed, as you mentioned- doesn't get dirty) I have a door mat that I shake out often. I have plastic mats in the cab, including between the seats..... so if I ever sell this van, the original carpeting will still be "as new".
Sorry, should have phrased that "a regular 110VAC type vacuum", not the 12V-ers that don't do much.
They don't have to be built like your mom's Hoover upright, there are many full AC powered vacs with decent
suction (Dyson?) that are smaller in size. Depends on how desperate you are to vacuum your van, I guess.
Lay off the chips and crackers and toast after dark.
I 'm always suspicious of what the previous user of car wash vacuums may have used them for,
so I tend to avoid. Like thoroughly checking a laundromat washer and dryer before use.
I still find the short broom and dustpan works well for the floors, and the exposed carpets (we also
cover the fixed carpets with plastic) are removable for beating and shaking out.
Been south?