Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just thought I'd post a warning about the garage door track release rope for manual operation of the garage door. Make sure it is well clear of the van!

I had previously made sure the pull handle couldn't touch the van (see photo):

Attachment 3661

The knotted rope might have brushed the very top of the TV antenna mounting pole but it couldn't snag on it. (another photo) - you see where this is going ..... ?

Attachment 3665

The new front coil springs and rear air lift bags raised the van height 2.25 inches ..........
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...ings-4136.html

I was exiting the garage when I heard a clunk sound above. The garage door had come free from the motorized track and had come down 6" to 8". The sound was caused by the WIFI antenna hitting the bottom of the garage door. The garage door won by the way - just a tiny dent on the inside ........ The WIFI antenna snapped (another photo)

Attachment 3662

The red handle was still clear of the lifted van but the knot on that rope must have snagged briefly on the TV antenna mounting assembly and released the garage door.

On a taller van like a Sprinter with roof air, the a/c would have likely come into contact with the garage door and the damage could have been much worse.

The WIFI antenna did not looked damaged on the inside. The break was not not a clean as it appears. There were some long fiberglass shards remaining which made it easy to epoxy back together.

Attachment 3663

To further strengthen it I made an epoxy collar:

Attachment 3664

I'll test it later today. Fortunately, I have performance data - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...html#post48350 - to reference to make sure the antenna is still good.

Originally that antenna cost CDN$25 but it's hard to find and much more expensive now so hopefully the repair works well.

Needless to say that rope is not near anything on the van now!
I thought I was the only less than brilliant one that had the release rope hook the van

Ours hooked the front edge of the solar on the way out of the garage, but luckily, it released the latch on the carriage so the door moved with the van, which I heard. No damage for us, but it could have been really ugly, if it had happened going in backwards like we do.

The van had been in and out of the garage dozens of times without issue before it happened.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I'd been in and out many times also. The only difference this time was that the van was about 3" to the right of where it usually would be. I have yellow lines on the garage floor so it's easy to put it in the optimal position repeatedly in the garage. I could just as easily have gone years without snagging that rope!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I'd been in and out many times also. The only difference this time was that the van was about 3" to the right of where it usually would be. I have yellow lines on the garage floor so it's easy to put it in the optimal position repeatedly in the garage. I could just as easily have gone years without snagging that rope!
Sounds familiar, I also have white paint stripes to get me in the right spot. I have to be pretty close, probably less than 10" range side to side, and angled enough that I can open the driver door all the way without hitting the workbench. The angle also allows the continental tire to drop without hitting some shelving.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I had reversed into the garage and looked down at the lines & saw it was out of position. I could have left it but figured I should position it better.

If it was gonna happen then I see it as lucky that it happened then - just re-positioning the van. It would have been more of a problem if it happened when departing for a trip for example.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #25
Silver Member

Default great tip

Thanks guys, very good tip on the door release cord.
i will keep that in mind when i have the door installed.

Good thing you only had minor damage to both markopolo and Booster
could have been much worse.

In my shop while cutting wood for cabinets a couple years back. Had one of the bay doors open and while moving plywood around ( over head ) just barely caught handle and down came the door, almost had to go change cloths

thanks

David
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
Thanks guys, very good tip on the door release cord.
i will keep that in mind when i have the door installed.

Good thing you only had minor damage to both markopolo and Booster
could have been much worse.

In my shop while cutting wood for cabinets a couple years back. Had one of the bay doors open and while moving plywood around ( over head ) just barely caught handle and down came the door, almost had to go change cloths

thanks

David
Interesting, and would indicate that that the door springs need to be wound a bit tighter. When you pull the release, the door should balance in place, or very close to it. It should not zoom down (very common as springs age) or go all open.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #27
Platinum Member

The repaired WIFI antenna works fine.
Previous test:
My AP1 Rssi -67
My AP2 Rssi -57

Today's test:
My AP1 Rssi -55
My AP2 Rssi -45

Actually way better, all equipment in same spots. Maybe the cable was a bit loose before.

Back to garage doors - the springs on mine must be wound a bit too tight. The garage door won't stay down if released from the opener. It will come up a foot or so.

If there was a door opener failure I'd raise it manually. If just a power outage the the inverter in the van can easily handle opening and closing it.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I built my cabin garages with vaulted ceilings. This way I kept the height of the roof line low and still had room to fit 10' doors. Worked well. Just order scissor trusses rather than regular.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #29
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I built my cabin garages with vaulted ceilings. This way I kept the height of the roof line low and still had room to fit 10' doors. Worked well. Just order scissor trusses rather than regular.
Thanks Marley , i was already looking at scissor trusses but because i am using the end wall of existing garage to do the new section and having the door at the gable end. I will be going with 12' walls inside to just be above the roof height of existing building. Building will be 16' x 24'

Thanks
David
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote