Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Avoiding A/C

I’m a first-time Class B shopper, wondering what features/attributes to look for so as to keep comfortable temps without using the a/c. Thanks!
SKrejsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKrejsa View Post
I’m a first-time Class B shopper, wondering what features/attributes to look for so as to keep comfortable temps without using the a/c. Thanks!

In my humble opinion - the one best feature to avoid using your roof or dash air is a Fantastic Fan. My coach has two units equipped with remotes, rain sensors, thermostat, speed control and even shuts the cover by electric. Here's a few links.

Fan-tastic Fans & RV Roof Vent

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...4&action=click
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Agree that roof vent fans are a good option if you are in a fairly dry climate. I much prefer the MaxxAir MaxxFan Deluxe van that has built in rain shield. It also has remote, speed control and temp control. But this fan will stay open in rain and no rain will get into the vehicle.

Airxcel | Maxxair | MAXXFAN Deluxe - Manual and Remote Opening
Old 11-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Agree about the powered roof vents.

Screens on the side and rear doors are useful, allowing flow-through ventilation without bugs on a warm, sunny day. We love being able to throw the two back doors wide open.

Depending on the direction and angle of the sun, the awning can help shade the side of the van. I carry Reflectix panels that fit in the windows. On a warm day I put them on the sunny side to reduce heat gain. A light exterior color also reduces heat gain.

The type of windows in the van also matters. My Roadtrek has mostly fixed glass with a few tip-out sections that don't provide much ventilation.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have the MaxxAir fan, a back full screen so we can open up the back completely, six awning windows and a sliding door screen. It keeps our van in equilibrium with the outside temperature. We make it a point to not travel in hot temperature extremes if we can help it. That's why most of our travel including the south and southwest is in the fall, winter and spring. In the summer we go north and to the comforts of the shady northwoods mostly. The philosophy is follow 70 degrees since you can travel.

The weak point in this is the cab area. We have fabricated custom window screens for the cab door windows but we don't use them much. You can buy such commercially like Skreenz. The best thing you can do there is totally block and reflect the sun coming in from your windshield. We have insulated reflective window inserts installed with suction cups. We figured those were for winter. Actually they could and should be used as well in hot weather. We haven't needed to go this far.

With awning windows drop down curtains are better than side sliding curtains so you can keep the lower awning windows clear but block the sun with the fixed windows.

This is a Quartzite campground in Arizona. In the winter you don't even need an awning with the low sun in a dispersed campground setting.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Having had both the Fantastic and Maxfan, I would have say the Maxfan is much better overall. Better hood support, a bit quieter, easier to understand remote. We also ran into problems with the Fantastic fan in areas of coverage with wifi or security cameras, like Walmarts or some campgrounds. When in those areas, the Fantastic fan remote would nearly quit working and had to be within inches of the fan to work. Since there is not secondary control panel on the fan, like with the Maxfan, you can get stuck with no real control.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was in Arizona last winter but not at Quartzsite. Mostly in Phoenix, Tucson and southeast Arizona. However we did get caught in snow and freezing temperatures in March at the Organ Mountain - Desert Peaks National Monument east of Las Cruces, NM. BTW, that's a great campground.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Besides the above suggestions, we have one of these 12 volt fans that we use a lot. It moves a surprising amount of air and is quiet. We have slept many nights with this thing blowing right on us.

https://www.amazon.com/HITOPTY-Electric-Cigarette-Lighter-Vehicle/dp/B07NKTBNJ6
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Besides the above suggestions, we have one of these 12 volt fans that we use a lot. It moves a surprising amount of air and is quiet. We have slept many nights with this thing blowing right on us.

https://www.amazon.com/HITOPTY-Elect.../dp/B07NKTBNJ6
Hey. I can second this fan. Compact, powerful, and pretty efficient. Don't use ours often, but it can mean the difference between comfortable or not on those "in-between" days.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #10
Platinum Member

For an in van fan(s) we have two of these mounted one on each side of the front cabinets. Great for moving hot air from the front to ceiling vent fan, or turned around to dry towels or clothes and a drying bar across the van toward the front.

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Siroc...21&sr=8-2&th=1
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Just bought this one about a month ago. Very quiet, built in infinite speed control, clamp attached. Only draws 1-2 watts on low, nice stream of air on higher speeds. About 9 watt draw on full speed. Only $20.

Only minor quibble is when attached to a board(vertical piece on a shelf) the board acts as a sounding board, though minor. I may install foam pads on the clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

Thanks to all for your replies!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Layers. Layer up your heat defenses. I have a Sprinter-based B which was manufactured by Airstream (the model is called an Interstate) -- but a Sprinter is a Sprinter is a van, so for these discussion purposes, it doesn't matter the upfit because the conclusions are the same.

Here's an epic thread on heat control by a determined resident of the deep south. If you have the patience to weed through 264+ posts, it's got some good heat countermeasure ideas in it. Plus a funny picture below this link (not my rig, but I cartooned the photo), because we delved into some humor on this topic:

Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
Gold Member

Perhaps RVlife could do some research and come up with some recomendations.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

Do any of the manufacturers offer the Fantastic or Maxxair fans, std or optional? My initial focus is on features of the rig, vs aftermarket add-ons.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #16
Platinum Member

All Three of my Class Bs from different manufacturers came with ceiling fans as standard. The Maxxfan, btw, is superior to the Fantastic Fan but what's offered is often up to the manufacturer because none listed a choice.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do any of the manufacturers offer the Fantastic or Maxxair fans, std or optional? My initial focus is on features of the rig, vs aftermarket add-ons.
The problem would be finding one without one or the other fan.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

They both use the same 14” hole, so a swap should be easy.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote