Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Awning

Hi all. Hope you can help out a noob. Recently bought a 1998 Coach House wide body. Well maintained, about 90k on the clock. I've never owned an RV before so I've been going through the owner's manual over the last few days to get familiar with everything. But I noticed there's nothing in there about the awning. How are they operated?

Thanks

Curt
Raindem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rbrtwareham
Default Re: Awning

Not all awnings are the same. Google the Mfg. and get the instructions for your model
rbrtwareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Let us know make, model or post a photo if you can.

It might be Fiamma or Carefree.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Also check youtube.com. Plenty of videos. Here is example of a Fiamma operation video:

[youtube:1nuqguv9]6cB2V0YZsoM[/youtube:1nuqguv9]
Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. It's a Fiamma F45S. I'll seach for a video.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We have the same awning on our Coach House and it is a manual hand crank version. The handle should be somewhere in the van, hook it to the forward end of the awning loop and start un-winding.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Does it take 2 people, one to crank and one to pull? Because I tried turning the crank and nothing happened.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you can turn the crank the awning should come out on its own. Are you saying you cannot turn the crank? Counter clockwise should open it. Clockwise should close it. If you cannot turn the crank your awning could be stuck, so maybe getting help to jar it loose would help. If you cannot turn it even with help possibly the gears are stuck or the awning jammed in crooked. If you can turn the crank and nothing is happening then it is possible the gears are stripped or something broke.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I was turning the crank but nothing was happening. Turned out it was just stuck (maybe not put away properly from the last time). Once I got the front part to come out of the housing it cranked out the rest of the way with no problem, and I was able to set it up.

Do you stand up the end posts on the ground or do you use the brackets mounted on the van?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Platinum Member

It depends on where you put the post. It is pretty simple just mount them to the brackets on the van. The worst part in doing that is they are at an angle and block the way you can walk. If the ground is a hard surface you cannot stake the post down and could bounce with the wind. If the ground is muddy then you'll have to carefully clean the feet off before putting them away. For about $11 you can buy an anchor wire kit to also hold your awning down which is a good idea in windy conditions. RV stores and Walmart sells the anchor kits.

I think most awnings are suppose to be rated for winds up to 30 mph but I won't put my awning out on any windy day. A wind gust could rip it off. Consequently all last spring on the Texas Gulf Coast I never put the awning out once. I use it on very sunny calm days or steady drizzle days. Storms usually bring wind.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Don't roll out the awning more than 3 feet before bringing down the legs to support it. Unless it's a very recent Fiamma awning, it's not designed to support itself more than 3 feet out.
Don't ever forget to have it tied down. Two years ago I was distracted while installing the awning and I forgot to install the tie downs. A gust of wind lifted the awning, tore it off the side of my Roadtrek and tossed it over to the other side of the van. It landed flat on the ground and sustained no damage. I was lucky there was noone there ... those things are heavy. Now I try to ignore everything going on around me until the awning is secure.
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Just my two cents. We have about 40,000 miles under out belt and have only set up the awning once. Most days, we can position the van so that when we set out the van itself provides the shade that we need. We rarely spend more than one night in a location, and setting up and breaking down the awning adds greatly to our time to break camp. If I was purchasing a new B, I would do without the awning entirely.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindem
I was turning the crank but nothing was happening. Turned out it was just stuck (maybe not put away properly from the last time). Once I got the front part to come out of the housing it cranked out the rest of the way with no problem, and I was able to set it up.

Do you stand up the end posts on the ground or do you use the brackets mounted on the van?
Your call but I usually use the brackets. That way if a gust of wind catches it it will flip the van on its side and i can do the routine maintenance on the underside of the van. I still haven't figured out how to right the van when I'm done.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Mike, It is obvious you just have to wait for the front to pass through and the wind to come around from the other direction. Just have a little patience.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindem

Your awning, if Fiamma is like mine. With mine, I slowly turn crank anti-clockwise a bit then wiggle the awning which POPS OUT of its little lock holder--a catch which keeps it in place when fully in. Then I continue winding out the awning, making sure NOT to wind it right to the end of the roll. That way it is less likely to tear at the end during a gust of wind. I usually just use the awning when camped for a few days. I also spray oil the sets of spring mechanisms with a penetrating oil such as 3-in1 or WD40 occasionally.
Al
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #16

If you still need the instructions for the Fiamma F45 awning, I have one you can have. I reolaced mine this year, with a Dometic. My email address is rbrtwareham@yahoo.ca . You can e mail your mailing address, and I will send it to you
Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #17

I have the instructions, I don't need them. they are yours if you want them.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I was looking for F45 doc a while back. Fiamma sales/service said they don't have it any more but the F45Ti is pretty much the same awning. It is available online.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhks
We have about 40,000 miles under out belt and have only set up the awning once...
Setting up the awning for us here in the PNW is more a factor of attempting to keep the pine needles and falling ants away from our outdoor kitchen and sitting area more than a sun shade (Sun? What's that?) and the rain off the parade.

Thom
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhks
We have about 40,000 miles under out belt and have only set up the awning once...
Setting up the awning for us here in the PNW is more a factor of attempting to keep the pine needles and falling ants away from our outdoor kitchen and sitting area more than a sun shade (Sun? What's that?) and the rain off the parade.

Thom
We rarely use ours but when we really need it, it is very much appreciated. The miserable weather all-day rains makes the B more tolerable and in a southwest state hot desert sun it can help. With our new B on order, there was a brief thought of not putting one on as not putting one on is going to make our B almost indistinguishable from a Sprinter passenger van. We decided to go with one anyway. Then we decided to go with an electrically operated one this time I think mostly because finding a place for the crank handle is a pain in the A.