Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Awnings and wind

While camping recently beside a quiet mtn lake, high winds came up suddenly and with no warning. In a few seconds, both awning poles were off the ground and the awning looked like a spinnaker. I rolled it up with no apparent damage (I usually leave the pole outside, under the van), but it was scary. Now I hesitate to leave. It up overnight if there's any sign of weather. Bigger units don't seem to be bothered; is this a RoatTrek/Fiamma awning phenomenon?

Dan F
Adventurous
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default Re: Awnings and wind

Hi Dan,

You said the poles came of the ground? You need to stake the arms or use tent pegs to hold it down. Our Pleasureway awning (Fiama) I am sure is like yours and has an additional support pole for the fabric that only takes seconds to install so we always put it on for additional support be it wind or rain. I never leave the awning out at night. You never know when the wind will sneak up on you and it only takes a minute to set it up in the morning anyway. When we leave the campground we put it up. If we are staying in the park I leave it out. I don't use tie down straps because I like to be able to put it up quick if needed. If it is windy enough for straps I just put the awning in. I have followed this method for years and never had an issue be it the Fiama or the awnings on a travel trailer. I actually think the awning on the class b is stronger and has more support than the awnings on my travel trailers due to the smaller size.

Steve
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Steve,
Yep, the poles were airborne - I had not staked due to rocky ground. I had a rock on each of the little footings, but that was no competition for what felt like 30 knots!

I don't take it down every night because we attach a 'Sunblocker' screen to provide added shaded acreage for the dogs. I'll try the rafter pole for now and sketch up a more capable footing for the poles for next trip.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Do you have the little awning support pole anchors on the outside of the body just at the
decal trim line? On my '02 190P, one is located just aft of the rear wheel well, and the other
is on the passenger side door, just forward of the 60/40 hinge. I don't often use it, but we always
place the support poles in them, and there is a locking mechanism, which when the pole is inserted,
the upper horizontal pin slides down over it to lock it in place. So far, these things have kept ourpoles
from turning into projectiles, or methods of self-flagellation in the wind. I'd guess a gusty or sudden wind
would cause problems for any awning.
Sorry the example pic isn't great, I was actually photographing my battery.
Fiamma or an RV place might be able to assist in finding you some, to retrofit, if you think they
might work better than planting the poles in the dirt or rocks.
I think you can just make out the slots for the upper horizontal pin that locks the pole in place.

Don't know if this helps your situation, but it may be food for thought.
I suppose if the wind were strong enough, this setup might get you an airborne ride towards Kansas.
Maybe I should lower the awning while driving. Might make the B handle better in the cross winds.

Good luck with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiammaawninganchor.jpg (28.2 KB, 1615 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mike - our clips to hold the bottom of the support pole are the same as those shown in your "battery" picture. I trust that just fine, but in a big wind, the awning is just too big a wind sail and I don't trust the poles. They could buckle - nothing is stronger than HIS natural elements. As well, the awning is quite noisy during a night wind, especially for a light sleeper.
Cheers all, the season is upon us!
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am), once the poles are locked into place in the outside
body anchors, you can wind the awning back up pretty close to the Fiamma awning systems
storage position. That might work better than leaving it fully deployed as you say overnight.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We do indeed have two brackets; alas the new-fangled moedel is pinless. The awning pole foot is a flat plate that slips into the lower part of the bracket and is secured(?) by a sliding shoe that slips down from above. I'm constantly bumping my head on the poles in this configuration, but its probably less of a headache(!) than worrying about windy nights.

Or maybe Mike's solution is best: a couple of extra batteries ought to hold 'em down. As far as drivng with the awning out, I guess you get better gas mileage ... At least when you're going downwind.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Sliding shoe, horizontal pin, call it what you will, it seems pretty fixed to us, when the pivoting foot plate
is placed in it, and "the other shoe drops" to lock it in place.
I have to remember to duck under it too, just like when I try to get from the back of the van to the pilot's
seat in the morning to get us rolling.
Just keep the aspirin handy.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
Bronze Member

When we got our first TT with an awning, we didn't know what we were doing and asked our neighbor for help. He proceeded to WARN us about leaving it open all the time. He was on his 3rd awning. And that day he almost lost it again. He had left for a while and came back and found his awning closed up. While he was away a wind came up and someone closed it for him. His last 2 awnings went flying and one caused major damage to his trail and another camper. You would have thought he learned his lesson the first time. Since then, we rarely use our awning. It's just one more thing to do to set up or take down.
Y IZ IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Admittedly, we tend to boondock a lot, so we rarely use ours either. It's usually not worth
raising the non-stealth flag, as it were. When we stay in State or Nat Parks or Rec Areas or
just commercial campgrounds, we're usually there too late in the evening, and don't bother setting
up a more permanent campsite, because we're likely on the move early the next morning in
search of coffee. It is a shame, because the awning is a good tool, but not so much for us.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, in the all-too-sunny south, the awning is often a daytime necessity. I still wonder why none of the bigger trailers seemed to have difficulty with this particular windstorm. All those rigs had their awnings out with poles firmly planted in their brackets. But it seems like their hardware is gutsier than the Fiamma, which advises: 'in case of wind, close awning.'
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Platinum Member

While sitting through 4 days of extreme heat/humidity up here in the northeast, I am
completely sympathetic with the need for a shady spot to relax.
I agree, the Cs and As must have tougher awnings and hardware systems, in keeping with
the size and stature of them.
Seems like no matter how careful you are with these things, Mother Nature often finds a way to have some
fun at our expense!!!