Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Battery Isolators - how long should they last?

I may go that route after all is said and done. Separator, hmmmm? Interesting, although
we do tend to camp primitive when we use a campground. Not sure we'd benefit much from it.
I was just about to add Hehr's website address to my saga.
Most of my google searches led me to their windows and doors division. I had to send
them an email to get the power systems one. There's a pdf catalog available
to download, if anyone else needs to replace their isolator.
http://www.hdpsi.com/

The "stranded out in the middle of no where, with a dead vehicle battery" has been one of my
worst case scenario fears, while this thing goes on. Probably why I'm so frustrated with the local (hah!)
dealers. They seem a bit clueless to me, but I'm a bit anxious to get this thing resolved.
I'm also considering the solar thing, as a possible solution to get "off the grid" to some extent.
I know you added a solar panel on top of the a/c on your RT and I'd like to revisit that thread
some time. I don't know if I've got the expertise to do something like that, but I've certainly got
the (too much?) time to do it.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

PROBABLY the final entry on this thread by me for a while. This is interesting.

So, I've been dealing with Roadtrek Service and they tell me that they have some 33-301
isolators in stock at their end and that a dealer could order one from them. They gave me
a part number and even a picture to send to the dealer of my choice, who at this point is
Owasco in Whitby/Oshawa. Roadtrek says they switched to the higher capacity 33-301 and the
footprint is the same as the 33-20/21/22 kits or parts. Thank you very much.
I tell Owasco that I'll need pricing on the isolator including installation,and forward the part/picture
information to their Parts/Service department. They say they'll get back to me.
While I'm waiting, I'm also dealing directly with the Hehr plant folks in Fort Worth. They agree that
the isolator needs to be replaced and offer 2 optional higher rated isolators with similar footprints
to make installation easier. The ones they will sell and ship (or, as I've found you can walk in to their
factory, and buy stuff by credit card from their lobby) are priced between US$114 and US$126 plus about
$13-$14 shipping by UPS. I'm thinking, that's pretty reasonable, even with the dollar exchange rate.
Owasco finally gets back to me and they want around $450 plus tax for the isolator + 2 hours at $99/hour to
install it. Total estimate comes out to just under C$700 for everything, and should they go ahead and order
the isolator?
Guess what my reply was?
I plan to be back down near Dallas Ft. Worth either later this year or early next year.
The back burner at my place is getting crowded........
Old 06-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
.................. Total estimate comes out to just under C$700 for everything.................
I'm at a loss for words.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #24
Gold Member

Thanks for this old thread. The discussions and information are very helpful here in August 2022. My 02CRT190P project continues and now add replacement of the Herh-Powerline 33-22. The isolator is not totally connected and has been bypassed which I believe means that the both the truck battery and the house battery can be charged by the truck alternator but also means the truck battery can be discharged by uses in the camper section. I have ordered a Sure Power 13023A from Waytek and it comes with the kit that connects to alternator 4pin plug. It looks like the same isolator that they are selling on Mobilelife RV for the '02 RT. The Alternator on the '02 and other years is a Delco (type) CS130D and there are specific instructions (180064) for the connector kit. There are installation instructions for the 13023A on the Sure Power website. There are also some instructions for connecting an earlier model Delco CS alternator in the 13023A instructions. To avoid confusion the CS130D alternator has an oval corner rectangular 4 pin plug and the CS alternator has a square corner 4 pin rectangular plug. Interestingly the PO on a trip in 2017 paid for a new O'Reily Ultima Select Alternator and a new Interstate truck battery. Not sure if it was the 105 or the 130 amp as the bill does not indicate the model number. The 02RT has KG8 in the build code which indicates the 130-amp alternator. It is highly possible that the existing isolator was dead and that the coach uses had discharged the truck battery. That could also explain why the old isolator was by passed at some point. I'll be very happy when all the issues in the RT finally get sorted out. In the meantime, the adventure continues
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote