Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Battery Tender

Is anybody using a Battery Tender for your Chassis AGM battery? RV's can sit for a while, do you disconnect your battery in between trips? Trickle Charger? Battery Tender, drive around the block? Any thoughts are appreciated.
tex4judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4judy View Post
Is anybody using a Battery Tender for your Chassis AGM battery? RV's can sit for a while, do you disconnect your battery in between trips? Trickle Charger? Battery Tender, drive around the block? Any thoughts are appreciated.
If you have even a small solar setup and park outside, the Trik-L-Start (or equivalent) is the best choice. Keeps house and chassis ready to go at all times. If indoors with power access, a trickle charger is fine--just make sure it is a good one.

Do NOT consider "drive around the block". You should never start a vehicle in storage unless you are able to bring it up to full operating temperature for long enough to get rid of the introduced moisture. With a diesel, that can mean a 20 minute drive at speed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I don't have an AGM but i keep a battery minder on mine 24/7. the only time it comes off is when i'm driving it. i don't know much about AGMs but if that is too much you might try plugging the battery tender into a timer and adjust the on time however you want.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

If you are contemplating a Battery Tender product, I'd recommend going to their site. They have some chargers designed to handle AGM batteries and some that can handle either AGM or Lithium (switchable). I'm not an expert in this area but if I was doing it I might also examine the size limitations via the downloadable manuals. One states for batteries "up to 60AH" for example.

I would think that these same issues would be of concern in other branded products.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I'm not an expert in this area but if I was doing it I might also examine the size limitations via the downloadable manuals. One states for batteries "up to 60AH" for example.
I'm not an expert neither but I think this limitation only apply if you need to recharge the battery in a reasonable amount of time. For maintenance, even the smallest unit are ok.

Here's for example the NOCO G750 which is recommended for maintenance only for battery larger than 30Ah.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Yoshimura: Point well taken. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Silver Member

Default Thanks

Thanks all. Good thoughts. Reaffirmed my growing respect for Battery Tenders.

We have the solar setup, but it's too cold or hot to store the rig outdoors. I had skylights put in the roof above the solar panel, but it filters too much to take care of both house and chassis batteries.

And absolutely up to temp each time. We have guests for Christmas staying in the rig and when we go dump, we'll run up a long steep hill as part of the trip.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Silver Member

Default Battery Tenders are great for storage

I am a big believer in Battery Tenders (not trickle chargers). I have them on every battery that gets stored in Ohio for the winter like my lawn mower, motorcycle, classic cars, and my RV. The batteries will last twice as long, or longer if they are kept at a full charge. The battery tender will pay for itself very quickly. I have used them for years. Don't buy them at Harbour Freight... Buy a "Battery Tender" (Name brand)
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default Battery Tender

thank you sir - that is becoming my opinion as well.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I have a couple of the brand that g1g uses - BatteryMinder - in service for 12 years now. I don't use them on the RV's now only because my setups don't need them anymore but they are still great for maintaining other batteries that I have.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thank you for posting this topic...this morning, I purchased a Battery Tender Jr...only $31.99 on sale at Advanced Auto Parts and the Battery Tender Wireless Battery Monitor only $14.99 at Auto Zone.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Where is my battery...I went to hook up the Battery Tender Jr and the remote start box seems to be in the way...going to search YouTube...but if you know how to hook up a Battery Tender Jr to a remote start van...please advise.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
Where is my battery...
I found my battery...it is under the driver's seat...

I can't get the Battery Tender WiFi Monitory to hook up with my WiFi...I have read and watched everything out there but, still no luck on trouble shooting.

Anyone have luck with the Battery Tender WiFi Monitor?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
Silver Member

Default The Battery Tender hooks directly to the Battery

The Battery Tender hooks directly to the battery posts (At least that is how I do it), a safer way is to hook the battery tender to the positive post on the battery and a ground area near the battery (Please see the Battery Tender directions). The Battery Tender wifi voltage monitor seems to have mixed reviews on Amazon (where I buy my Battery Tenders). Apparently they like to catch on fire.... I would research that before I mount it under my seat. I thought I needed one until I read the reviews. Again, I would swear by the "Battery Tender" name for keeping a battery at full charge and lengthening its life, but the wifi devise seems a little sketchy...
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
The Battery Tender hooks directly to the battery posts (At least that is how I do it), a safer way is to hook the battery tender to the positive post on the battery and a ground area near the battery (Please see the Battery Tender directions). The Battery Tender wifi voltage monitor seems to have mixed reviews on Amazon (where I buy my Battery Tenders). Apparently they like to catch on fire.... I would research that before I mount it under my seat. I thought I needed one until I read the reviews. Again, I would swear by the "Battery Tender" name for keeping a battery at full charge and lengthening its life, but the wifi devise seems a little sketchy...

It is not just the monitor ones, I think, that might overheat. I had a regular one emit the magic smoke a couple of years ago. Luckily, it was on a GFCI in the garage and that tripped right away.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:16 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Creeps me out that the battery is under my seat...

Under the hood, there is a place to attach a positive jumper cable and along the frame of the van a ground bolt to attach the neutral jumper cable.

Do you think if I attach the battery tender to these jumper cable access points, the battery would safely charge?
Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #17
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
Creeps me out that the battery is under my seat...

Under the hood, there is a place to attach a positive jumper cable and along the frame of the van a ground bolt to attach the neutral jumper cable.

Do you think if I attach the battery tender to these jumper cable access points, the battery would safely charge?
as long as there is a direct connection (no switch) to the battery you should be fine. I always hated the idea of putting the battery there but I know they do. I would hate the thought of someone smoking a cigarette when there is a bad regulator and the battery is being overcharged
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote