Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Battery vs 12volt propane and CO2 detectors

Having recently aquired the 95 popular 210, the propane and the Carbon dioxide detectors are not functioning. Any reason not to replace them with battery units rather than units hard wired into 12 volt system. The smoke dector is a battery operated unit.
95Pop210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

for my 2006 model, i recently replaced the gas detector with a same type from amazon- about $40 for mine ( SafeTalert- 30 series) this wired into the coach battery- so is off when the van is stored

My CO detector is old and supposed to be replaced- I got a combo smoke/co at home depot -$35 and so far it seems to do the job. 10 year battery

I have temporarily taken a 2nd co detector from the house- with a read out and memory and my readings have been very low- below threshold so the combo smoke/co alarm hasn;t gone off as yet..

....except that time with the toast.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Pop210 View Post
Having recently aquired the 95 popular 210, the propane and the Carbon dioxide detectors are not functioning. Any reason not to replace them with battery units rather than units hard wired into 12 volt system. The smoke dector is a battery operated unit.
When you say "not functioning", you do have the coach battery(ies) enabled, and have tested them in that state? I'm not trying to be funny, but when I first started out, I didn't realize that those 2 detectors only work when the coach batteries are enabled. They aren't actually hard wired (in my 2002, at least) directly to the coach batteries, they go through the switch like almost everything else that runs on 12VDC in your coach. My disable/enable switch is on the monitor panel installed by Roadtrek, with the tanks/propane gauges test switch, and the water pump on/off switch. I'm guessing you already know this, but thought I'd ask, before you replace some stuff that doesn't need replacing.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Good point, same in my PW, the hardwired detectors work on shore power and when coach battery is switched ( clockwise is on).

My smoke detector was 9 volt battery operated- the new combo smoke/co is AA

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Wouldn't be the first time, and it sounded like a new (to the OP) rig. Just sayin'.

$1 for a 4 pack at Dollar Tree (AA or AAA alkaline).