Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
"The drivers brother was killed when his head hit the back of the frig." No headrest?

I survived three serious accidents in my 20's. Fifty years later, my neck is hurting this morning as a consequence of the first one—rear-ended with no headrest.

In my DIY, I installed no storage whatsoever above belt line.

Has anyone ever considered using cable tethers on the things may may break loose? I would think that would decrease the likely hood of them causing severe issue by quite a lot and would be quite easy on a DIY. Of course a commercial load cage behind the seats would probably be the easiest and least cost albeit a bit ugly and inconvenient. They work well in cargo vans, I think, as I have seen some really beat up ones in the junk yards after a front end hit, but the seat areas were OK.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Has anyone ever considered using cable tethers on the things may may break loose?
My very heavy inverter is mounted inside the vehicle in the rear. Although it is security bolted to the floor, I briefly considered an auxiliary tether for extra safety. I then decided that the 4/0 electrical cables routed to the sub-floor batteries probably did a better job than anything I could devise.

Another area of concern involves things like electrically-operated folding sofa beds. I wonder how often these things are engineered for safety. Our GWV Legend's tri-fold bed actually has solenoid-powered latches that engage when the seat is fully retracted. I was mildly impressed when I first discovered them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote