Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Be thankful you decided to purchase a Class B RV.....

Take a look at this video and report...it's not a pretty picture......

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/14/...r-crash-tests/
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

A Class B has a more rigid body structure behind the B pillar, but it shares some big safety weaknesses with Class C’s:: lack of front structure in frontal and offset frontal collisions- and unsecured gear and motorhome components that tear loose in a crash.

I was trying to find crash test results for US-spec versions of commonly used vans- Sprinter, Promaster, Transit, and Express. Not finding anything.

If crash safety were my only priority I’d own something like a Ford Expedition SUV with a small towable RV. Passenger vehicles are subject to much more rigorous testing than commercial vehicles.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default CLass B May not Matter

Here is a translation of one part of an accompanying article:

"The semi-integrated motorhome provides somewhat better protection than fully integrated, but still far from the protection that a modern passenger car provides today. Everyone in the car is at great risk of being seriously injured by interior fittings that come loose under the crash."

I am not sure that a Class B is immune to those kinds of defects. The cabinets, microwave and refrigerator could still end up on top of the passengers. Not to mention a propane tank flying around.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Here's something for you......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A Class B has a more rigid body structure behind the B pillar, but it shares some big safety weaknesses with Class C’s:: lack of front structure in frontal and offset frontal collisions- and unsecured gear and motorhome components that tear loose in a crash.

I was trying to find crash test results for US-spec versions of commonly used vans- Sprinter, Promaster, Transit, and Express. Not finding anything.

If crash safety were my only priority I’d own something like a Ford Expedition SUV with a small towable RV. Passenger vehicles are subject to much more rigorous testing than commercial vehicles.
https://youtu.be/C3kN6WF5vAA

See the picture below; the two occupants walked away from the accident unharmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprinter collision.jpg (100.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default How do you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post

"The semi-integrated motorhome provides somewhat better protection than fully integrated, but still far from the protection that a modern passenger car provides today. Everyone in the car is at great risk of being seriously injured by interior fittings that come loose under the crash."

I am not sure that a Class B is immune to those kinds of defects. The cabinets, microwave and refrigerator could still end up on top of the passengers. Not to mention a propane tank flying around.
See this video; plus the picture I posted above. The driver and passenger walked away from the crash.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

The latest Chevy Express version got 5 Stars in 2010 (the last year tested). But that is without all the class b conversion cabinets and 2500-3000 lbs of added weight.

Reminds me of the saying "You pays your money and takes your chances".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash Test NHTSA 2010 - last yr rated.JPG (128.2 KB, 24 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Great video to show importance of safety in any RV. Flying drawers can kill, even dishes can kill.

I paid a lot of attention in my DIY to safety. None of my strong aluminum framed cabinets can possibly fly during crash, just like seats with passengers designed by MB engineers. All lower cabinets are mounted to MB threaded holes for seat mounts (passenger van conversion). For overhead cabinets I beefed up the wall /ceiling structures. In all critical points are used more than one fastener.

Safety is like an insurance, you can regret not paying attention after the fact, unless you dead.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Great video to show importance of safety in any RV. Flying drawers can kill, even dishes can kill.

I paid a lot of attention in my DIY to safety. None of my strong aluminum framed cabinets can possibly fly during crash, just like seats with passengers designed by MB engineers. All lower cabinets are mounted to MB threaded holes for seat mounts (passenger van conversion). For overhead cabinets I beefed up the wall /ceiling structures. In all critical points are used more than one fastener.

Safety is like an insurance, you can regret not paying attention after the fact, unless you dead.
If you don't survive an incident then it goes without saying that you can't enjoy your RV....
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Back in the early 80's someone was all buckled up driving along when a frontal crash occurred, not too too bad. The someone should have 'ok', but was dead. A kleenex box, the corner of the kleenex box sitting on the shelf behind the back seats got the person right in back of their neck.

The point of the story the highway patrolman was telling, remove the umbrella, ..........
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Back in the early 80's someone was all buckled up driving along when a frontal crash occurred, not too too bad. The someone should have 'ok', but was dead. A kleenex box, the corner of the kleenex box sitting on the shelf behind the back seats got the person right in back of their neck.

The point of the story the highway patrolman was telling, remove the umbrella, ..........
Don't know why it matters, but it occurred in one of the northern great plains states, maybe Nebraska, South Dakota - just don't recall.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Any front end crash is serious...who are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Don't know why it matters, but it occurred in one of the northern great plains states, maybe Nebraska, South Dakota - just don't recall.
C'mon....it's a front end crash with another vehicle...did you see the damage on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter?

However, you're absolutely right... any object like that umbrella or something.... Kleenex box? I don't know... I suppose anything is possible...

But, yes, secure things down while traveling is a very good idea. You probably know that this is the first thing airlines do when they take off and land. Securing the overhead cabinets...we have secure latches on all of our overheat cabinets..... and have a minimum of stuff that can fly around during driving.

It's just common sense. Use good judgement and you'll probably be OK......

Unfortunately... though, the people in those Class A's like the one in the video are going to have a lot of damage...

That "cute" dinnete table is going to be like a guillotine inside the coach..... not a good thing.....if it gets loose or their seats wheel back to this location.....

Plus, I have never heard of a Class A with air bags....??
Sitting that close to the front end...no engine to absorb the crash?? Yeah, I know that they are big and heavy, but, so what.... again... the front end of the class A in the video was crumpled... passengers were thrown around like tinker toys..... that's really bad...
Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Propane tanks are safer than you think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post

I wouldn't be too concerned about the propane tank.... probably more worried about surviving the crash...see this link below. They are designed for use in mobile vehicles...ours is mounted on the chassis....

It's pretty well protected behind the front passenger compartment near the ground..

As for the cabinets and refrigerator.... sure, anything is possible.... but, they so tightly installed... there's literally no space between anything on my Sprinter. .all shoe horned in ... where are they going to go???

An excerpt from the link.....read entire story......

Propane Explosions 101
Propane tanks do not explode. They do not implode and nor do they rupture or come apart on their own. In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think. Many people believe that a propane tank "explosion" can occur with the slightest of ease. This is not the case whatsoever and people should understand that a propane tank, operating under normal circumstances will not explode or rupture. Safety devices and mechanisms are in place to prevent explosions, accidents and propane tank ruptures or breaches. Just like any other hazardous material or activity, human error is a primary factor in preventing or contributing to any type of accident, however serious in nature.

https://www.propane101.com/propanetanks.htm

https://www.propane101.com/explodingpropanetanks.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113304.jpg (227.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
Bronze Member

How is it possible to enjoy life and worry about events that have a very small probability of ever happening to you?
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Safety...I'd rather increase my odds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab449 View Post
How is it possible to enjoy life and worry about events that have a very small probability of ever happening to you?
Even though it might be a small possible event, it's something that could happen and I'd rather not have to be thinking about it....

At least there's the track record of vehicles like this that can sustain an impact of this magnitude.

It's the same reason I drive a Subaru Outback.... engine is designed to go directly under the car on impact and not into the driver's compartment.....

I know someone who was driving on a rural country road in an area that had an open range...a cow just darted out in front of his car...he struck the cow killing it instantly... completely destroyed the front of the Subaru....he and his wife walked away from the accident..

This and the freak accident like the one pictured in the Sprinter are exactly what I'm talking about....

Would I like to avoid them... heck yeah... but, things happen when you are on the road....

I'd rather be in my Class B Sprinter.... that has safety equipment like a car than a cheap and cheesy Thor Vegas Class A ...or the one from the one in the Swedish video.... yes, I don't think you have to have the video translated to get the picture of how dangerous these very cheap Class A's are.... disgusting...

You can't enjoy your RV...if you are not here... pretty obvious.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Platinum Member

" a propane tank, operating under normal circumstances will not explode or rupture. "

We aren't talking about normal circumstances.

The issue really isn't the propane tank exploding. Its the propane in the tank that can explode. If you have the propane turned on, all the tank has to do is move while the pipes don't or have the pipes move when the tank doesn't. There is a reason those portable propane tanks have protection around the fittings. If it gets knocked off or even knocked loose the propane will be released.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #16
Platinum Member

As I learn more about class As I am not impressed with the safety. I am glad we have a class B with some safety in the cab area. We have a Sprinter with front and side air bags and we are careful with securing gear. That being said in a big impact the whole thing could come a part. I did see a couple in a RT Sprinter in an offset head on collision; it held together well and they were not seriously injured. I think a class A would have been much worse. If we want a larger RV we would most likely go the Super C route based on a Freightliner M2... kind of like a Super Sprinter. Too bad Wanderlodge went out of business... those were rollover certified and built like tanks.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Large behomth....at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
As I learn more about class As I am not impressed with the safety. I am glad we have a class B with some safety in the cab area. We have a Sprinter with front and side air bags and we are careful with securing gear. That being said in a big impact the whole thing could come a part. I did see a couple in a RT Sprinter in an offset head on collision; it held together well and they were not seriously injured. I think a class A would have been much worse. If we want a larger RV we would most likely go the Super C route based on a Freightliner M2... kind of like a Super Sprinter. Too bad Wanderlodge went out of business... those were rollover certified and built like tanks.
You mean these???? Goodbye MPG.
Yeah, it's larger than a Sprinter.... clearly.
Safe, yes, but I would say it depends on the year of the vehicle.

http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/the-classic-ride-1991-blue-bird-wanderlodge/
Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Default Crash b versus a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab449 View Post
I agree with you. We can't worry about every possible thing that can happen to us while trying to have a good time. I had a roadtrek class b for 9 years. Now i have a 28 foot class a fleetwood. Was the roadtrek safer in a crash? Probably so. am i going to trade my class a now for another b? Nope.
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Not relevant to todays Bs but an interesting example of what happened in a B crash. My first B, based on a 1965 Ford extended van with the 240CI six with metal popup top. Those that are familiar with the early Ford van know it has know front end protection, your knees are actually in front of the engine.

I bought it used, after a family friend was rear ended by a semi (around 1973). The semi driver had fallen asleep and hit it at 20-30 mph faster than the B was traveling on an interstate. The bumper of the semi was higher than the van bumper and smashed about 18" of the rear forward cleaning the floor pan without damaging the frame. It pushed the van forward, sorta instant acceleration. On that model B the propane tank was smaller in diameter than the current tanks and taller and was mounted on the back door, it had a very large dent but did not explode or leak, it still sits in the corner of my Dad's barn. The driver managed to keep the van on the road and didn't hit anything else. The design had the frig/icebox mounted behind the passenger seat on top of a cabinet. The drivers brother was killed when his head hit the back of the frig.

Everything inside broke loose or was broken. I bought an empty van with 2 front seats and the pop top was repairable. I sent it to a body shop for repair and it came back looking as good as new but gutted and I built a DIY B that we used for many years, but the history taught me an important rule and everything was kept low and secured.

Just bought my next B last Summer and am trying to remember what can happen as I make some mods.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #20
Platinum Member

"The drivers brother was killed when his head hit the back of the frig." No headrest?

I survived three serious accidents in my 20's. Fifty years later, my neck is hurting this morning as a consequence of the first one—rear-ended with no headrest.

In my DIY, I installed no storage whatsoever above belt line.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote