Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Default Bed comfort ideas?

Pleasure-way TS 2012 - Sofa bed. Purchased in last fall. We can get away with one night sleeping with out too much pain, but, two nights, both of us are miserable.
My ideas.
Foam pads, cut in strips that would fit in overhead when not in use.
Foam Pad, just roll up and stuff behind sofa seat - if opened back door would fall out of course.
Back packing sleeping pads. They self inflate, store in overhead when not in use.
Already using very thick sleeping bag under us - not even close enough for comfort.

Ideas? Don't want to convert to full time bed.

Thanks.
SunVegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've used the convoluted foam available at Walmart cut to size. It's comfortable and smooths out the bumps. The downside is that it is bulky. I can leave mine on the bed when I fold it up but you may not be able to do that.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:22 AM   #3
Bronze Member

IKEA 4 inch latex topper mattress. Removable and washable cover, multiple sizes that fill larger or smaller areas; very comfortable and fits into super large duffel bag for storage on floor in front of back seat when not in use or canbe removed and stored.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

We have a ERA C bought a year ago and we found a good mattress pad on Amazon that is used to help people with bed sores, it rolls up to about 18" and we store it in our shower, actually makes for a good nights sleep.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I assume you mean a fold down sofa- I hated the ones I tried...

unless you need the sofa...think about converting to a fixed bed ...options may be limited by whatever systems are built underneath the sofa.

since we really are buying a bed-on-wheels, you have to address this. and i really don't think that any foam ontop of an uneven surface is going to keep you comfy.

I can;t sleep over uneven seams or lumps or slants

out lexor TD has a layout with dual sofas where the backrest bolsters fill in a center section in the aisle to form a pretty good bed. so far our longest trip is 32 days
2 + big dog

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

I have heard a number of ultralight backpackers ( who sleep on those ridiculously thin pads ) recommend an ibuprofen at bedtime. They call it "vitamin I".
For a more long term solution, larger cities usually have a custom mattress shop, a place that will build a mattress to your specifications. We used one to make a mattress for an antique bed that was not a standard size. It worked well and was not too expensive. You could get such a place to make replacements for your sofa cushions that would lie flat and be comfortable to sleep on. You might sacrifice some style and comfort in the sofa function, but you wouldn't have to abandon it altogether.

Walt
waltbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Very sad for your situation. This is why I kick my shoes off and simulate sleep when I look at motorhomes . The bonus is when the kids get embarrassed and run out of the rig.I think your pad idea is best for you.Sure cheaper than buying a new rig. If you buy off Amazon,simply read the reviews they are very helpful.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #8

Default Foam shop strips work

Hi - we just did our first road trip in our 2008 PW Excel. It has the option of King or 2 singles. We had a local foam shop cut 3 strips 2 inches thick that would cover the options. Sometimes we like the 2 singles, sometimes throw all 3 on there - depends on the climate (and who's in it!) We sewed 3 separate sheets as covers so they can be washed and 2 wraps for each. We roll them up each morning and stow 2 of them under the TV (too awkward to sit there anyway) and the third gets wedged on the floor same side. It's comfortable and we like the bed made up each day. Still plenty of room to sit.
JimandLoreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Rather than fix things after the fact we went in designing our own beds and picking the mattress materials. Happy to say it is working out. On our last day on the road a week ago we stopped at a Walmart in Nebraska. Embarrassingly we overshot our wakeup goal of before 7 AM and slept in to after 8. Maybe part of that was our first night back in the Central time zone and we hadn't adjusted. But try that in a Walmart parking lot.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote