Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Bedding?

Since Travasaks are no longer made, what do people use for bedding? Some "B"s like the RT SS Agile have a number of cushions which fill in, and I wonder how comfortable or uncomfortable that will be. I assume people use a mattress topper?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bedding?

We still use sleeping bags. If it is very warm I'll sleep on top of it. Today was 82F around here but it will drop to 57F tonight. (mid-August)

Our 7" thick cushions are very comfortable http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2574 We don't feel any seams or joints. The only probably with them is that they are very bulky and difficult to move around so the rear of the van pretty much has a permanent bed now.

We've used a foam topper in our RT Class B and also in our Trail-Lite B+. The problem is finding space to store the foam.

Traditional sheets / blanket / comforter as bedding is leading the bedding poll: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=25&t=303
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think that someone has started making a similar product to the Travsaks, which is what we use. There was always a very high priced second source, but this was a new one. I remember seeing some chatter on one of the other boards, I think. Might want to do a search and see.

This is the spendy version IIRC.

http://www.rvsuperbag.com/
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The RV Superbags are essentially the same as the old Travasak and the Travasaks were nearly as expensive. We use sleeping bags. We can make up our bed or put it away in under 5 minutes. We bought two Coleman Issaquah 36" x 80" sleeping bags a few years ago for only $30 each at a Costco. They have zip out flannel liners that can be washed frequently at home or on the road separately from the nylon insulated shell. Unfortunately, in hedging to eventually needing to replace them we can't find them anymore though they still have web pages under a search.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/outd ... 8341606.do

Stored away on top of the wheel well of our Great West Van Legend

Stored in the carry bags our our previous 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau

Open on the bed fits almost perfectly on both our Bs. This was the Pleasure-way

We don't use any foam toppers. In very warm weather I just sleep on top of the sleeping bag and keep a flannel blanket handy for cool mornings or just climb inside in the morning. They are good down to 25F which is about as cold as I want to go. We've gone down to 20F.

I should also mention we always put the bed away in the morning and go back to the sofa.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Bronze Member

We have a memory foam topper about 2" thick with flannel sheets and 2 fluffy comforters. They all fit in 2 5" high by 18" by 24" totes that store under the couch. I tried the vacuum bag thing but found the toted were great. I just sit on the lid and have a strap I put around the middle.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Silver Member

We use sleeping bags with a fleece liner as well. We do use foam toppers and have used the thin air mats from the camping stores. I found with the PW we did feel the seems so we went to memory foam, 2 pieces. We have the foam covered in a sheet made into a bag. We fold sleeping bag and foam in half together and store on the couch when traveling. When we stop for the night and want to sit, I move them sitll folded to the front driver seat. When time for bed, bring them out and unfold, bed is made.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This topic is a matte of personal preference. We initially used the GWV sofa as a sofa, and converted it to a bed at night. The pressure points were ok for me but not my wife. We have since converted the sofa to be a full time bed. We have topped it with a gel foam topper. We have a king fitted hight thread count bottom sheet and a matching top sheet. We took a king size Eddy Bauer imitation down blanket, cut it in two and re-sewed it for our blankets. We keep a couple of antique quilts for the reall cold nights. All of this makes for great sleeping.

In addition, the storage space below it is tremendous since the space that was in front of the sofa is now always available for storage.

The downside of course is that we do not have the functionality of the sofa, nor can we carry additional passengers easily.

One hint if you want to do this...Go to target and try different mattress toppers in the Target parking lot. The first one that we tried was way to thick. The second one that we tried was way to thin. The third on (like goldilocks) was just right.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Gordon,

There is so little room under the slide out bathroom lavatory that I tend to sleep with my feet angled away from it. With a topper making it shallower how do you deal with that space?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There is someone on the yahoo board selling a queen sized Travasak with sheets for $100 right now.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/89019
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Since we mostly are in warm weather country, we ditched sleeping bags in favor of home-made 'sleep sacks' made from cotton sheets. A self-inflating thin foam pad fits inside a sleeve made from one folded-over sheet that is stitched down the long side. A separate sheet stitched to the same side folds over the whole thing, so you're basically 'between the sheets.' It looks a little like this Campmor product plus a built-in pad; total cost wayyy less than those 'superbags.' The pads deflate and roll up for storage. In cooler weather, just add a blanket. Credit my wife for design and construction!
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #11

I have 3 areas to make up to make 2 single beds. We used foam for a softer bed and I ordered custom fitted sheets for the 3 areas. http://www.bedderbedding.net
Tanya6520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Default Quilted comforter

I just created our own bed sacks by folding over queen comforter, sewing bottom closed, and then doing same with 2 twin sheets. Sheet set goes inside comforter, but can be removed to wash. Could add zipper, but no need. Rolled them up and work well so far.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Today I was at a new sporting goods store in my neighborhood and they had these "RV 4-in-1" sleeping bags for only $79. Has anybody tried them? They're essentially two sleeping bags zipped together and sold together. According to the manufacturers website, the come with a limited lifetime warranty against defects. I liked them because they have a canvas outer shell, so they aren't as likely to slip and slide on a bed that isn't exactly level.

Here are the sleeping bags:
TETON Sports 4 in 1 RV Sleeping Bag | Sportsman's Warehouse

Here they are on the manufacturer's website:
RV 4-in-1 Sleeping Bag | Great Couples RV Sleeping Bag or Warm Weather Camping Sleeping Bag. BY TETON Sports

Here's the manufacturer's warranty:
Warranty | Know How Your Gear is Covered By TETON Sports
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

our bed is pretty much a normal shape and size, oriented fore/aft.

we use a flat bed sheet on the bottom. and then each side uses sheet and blankets to suit the temps.

that way either of us can exit from the center without bothering the other.

nothing special, just bedding out of our closet at home.

no need to buy something "new".

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
Site Team

We use standard fitted queen sheets and blankets. The bottom sheet is a tiny bit loose, but close enough.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Today I was at a new sporting goods store in my neighborhood and they had these "RV 4-in-1" sleeping bags for only $79. Has anybody tried them? They're essentially two sleeping bags zipped together and sold together. According to the manufacturers website, the come with a limited lifetime warranty against defects. I liked them because they have a canvas outer shell, so they aren't as likely to slip and slide on a bed that isn't exactly level.

Here are the sleeping bags:
TETON Sports 4 in 1 RV Sleeping Bag | Sportsman's Warehouse

Here they are on the manufacturer's website:
RV 4-in-1 Sleeping Bag | Great Couples RV Sleeping Bag or Warm Weather Camping Sleeping Bag. BY TETON Sports

Here's the manufacturer's warranty:
Warranty | Know How Your Gear is Covered By TETON Sports
I just got the single version of that one, which is done a bit differently. They claim you can use if from zero to sixty degrees because it is a 20 degree rated bag with a removable flannel liner the is supposed to get you another 20 degrees down to zero. At the 60 degree end you only use the liner. It looks to be very well made with good materials and very nice loft.

Our full time bed in the 190P Roadtrek is made with a notch at foot for the aisle, so we, like Avanti, get out toward the center. That pretty much rules out a one piece bag as there would be no way out easily.